Sign in to follow this  
tecto

differences between ActiveSky and OpusFSI

So what is the biggest advantage of ActiveSky comparing to OpusFSI?

Both are the weather engines and I don't know what are the differences. I'm using ENVTEX for textures and OpusFSI weather engine and wondering whether switching to ActiveSky will make me happier? Or maybe I should switch to REX SkyForce?

What are the pros and cons for all of them?

I'm quite new to this subject and when I'm looking at photos of flights with REX or AS I can't see much difference between my views, clouds etc.. So what is all about?

Where I should look to see the difference?

Hi Tecto,

My experience between ActiveSky and Opus is that ActiveSky is the winner as far as weather transitions go.

AS is very smooth at drawing the weather with imperceptible changes between weather zones.

Opus is a very good weather engine too, but it never has resolved the sudden/abrupt weather changes. This is an annoyance to me but many find it ok.

It is this reason alone, I prefer AS over Opus.

I have never used SkyForce, so can't comment on that.

Hope this helps

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

To confuse you even more...

I use ASN as my weather engine, REX Sky Force for my cloud/skies textures and Opus FSX for the cameras and turbulence effects. This is all in FSX, so factor that in as well.

There seems to be a general consensus that Active Sky is, so far, the best of the WX engines available. REX textures (both the older REX4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds and now the latest Sky Force sets) seem to get the nod as well. As for Opus FSX, I had been using it some time ago as my go-to WX engine but it got replaced by ASN when that came out. The cameras aspect of Opus which I mentioned, serves me best for its in-cockpit effects lending a very realistic rendition of disturbed air and turbulence when that is detected. If I did not have Opus I would have explored both EZdok and Chaseplane as camera programmes. As far as I am aware most simmers use either one of these packages for their camera needs as they are very comprehensive indeed but personally I do not need the smooth and tune-able transitions between cameras nor the cinematic follows and options that both offer.

Cheers!

• Upvote 3

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

56 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

To confuse you even more...

I use ASN as my weather engine, REX Sky Force for my cloud/skies textures and Opus FSX for the cameras and turbulence effects. This is all in FSX, so factor that in as well.

There seems to be a general consensus

I could have written those exact words myself,  because I use ASN and Opus FSX in exactly the same way. I had used EZ-DOK before, but the bumpiness provided by Opus feels more natural. I believe this is because the Opus movement is directly responding to the movements of the aircraft and the air it is flying through. EZ-DOK V.1's movements were more randomly generated.

I'm in the process of getting P3Dv4 set up, and I'm Leaning more towards ChasePlane with AS16 for weather.

• Upvote 1

Opus and Sky force and to my knowledge all others have a founderment flaw.

You fly for a period of time and your skies redraw the weather/clouds. After you have been flying for let's say 10 mins the clouds your flying towards you would never get to because your skies are redrawn.

As far as I know only AS gives a no cloud redraw solution if you see a cloud 100-150 miles ahead of you, you will get to it. It's prediction of clouds and the emersion of flying in the real skies is second to none.

If your thinking of going all out on weather.

AS for WX

ASCA+Envtex for dynamic skys. (Some people prefer to use just ASCA and some prefer to use all of Envtex with ASCA.)

I use AS+SF for cloud structures and textures.

For camera Chaseplane.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Ditto on the WX and textures.

For camera and motion effects EZCA2

I have all of the above and much prefer SF3D for clouds, rain/snow and PTA shaders, AS16 for weather and ENVTEX for the rest. Oh, and Chaseplane for cameras. I have uninstalled ASCA,and REX4/Softclouds and unticked everything pertaining to sky/weather etc in ENVTEX. 

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Also you have to have Active Sky for your PMDG weather radar if you use those aircraft. I Fly as well.

Vic green

I now use skyforce for the cloud models only with real time sync

ASCA in full dynamic for the cloud textures

AS4 for the wx engine

Envtex for everything else

15 hours ago, speedyTC said:

I've been thinking of adding ASN to my Opus/SF setup too but how do you get the Opus turbulence effects to work without Opus weather running. My Opus VC turbulence motions only start after Opus has updated the weather.

Thanks,
gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Active sky works and works well.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

13 minutes ago, gboz said:

I've been thinking of adding ASN to my Opus/SF setup too but how do you get the Opus turbulence effects to work without Opus weather running. My Opus VC turbulence motions only start after Opus has updated the weather.

Thanks,
gb.

Disable the weather engine. I have to go to work now, but you need to put a dll in one of the xml files, then Opus cams will get weather info from active sky.

Will post how too later, if nobody has in the interim.

• Upvote 2

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Just turn weather off in opus setup leave the cameras checked and the cams work fine with AS..There’s a good manual on this at the website.

• Upvote 2

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

6 hours ago, reecemj said:

Just turn weather off in opus setup leave the cameras checked and the cams work fine with AS..There’s a good manual on this at the website.

Thanks, cameras are ok but Opus seems to need to "see" an active weather engine to initiate VC movments.

Do you mean the Opus or AS website for the manual?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

22 hours ago, gboz said:

Thanks,
gb.

Hi gb,

there is an option in the OpusFSX settings page that disables weather updates in Opus. In practice, I've found that I always need to go back into ASN ->Tools -> Refresh weather to get ASN weather back into the sim.

My flow is as follows: Sky Force (WX engine disabled) minimize, start ASN and load the flightplan, start FSX and select my aircraft of choice then start Opus, enable the cameras and then go back into ASN and refresh the weather to force ASN to override anything Opus may have injected into the sim. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.