Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Google Earth’s Incredible 3D Imagery, Explained

So, one of the things I love about living in the age of the internet, is that sitting comfortably in my home I can go on random "Deep-dives" for information that sparks my interest. Once upon a time, that required a trip to the library, and my local branches soon knew me well from my constant visits and proclivity to be found in odd, dim corners of the library as a kid, sitting on the floor with my daily trove and reading away about the moon landing or world war two battle tactics or.....whatever.

Neeeeeeeeeeerdddddddd!!!!!!! :ha:

Now my dogs get to watch as I wander the web instead, pretty much absorbing everything. Today's obsession after being awestruck by the Google Earth vr app in my Oculus, was just how exactly do they make those images that have me exploring the world in wide-eyed 3D in VR, or on a monitor screen, or maybe even on a phone or tablet.

• Upvote 5

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Incredible. I always fire up Google Earth and Street View and explore the places I fly to in P3D. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

It is incredible.

More so because anyone is free to use it...

Google is a part of my life (and maybe everyone's), and I suspect it knows more about me than I can remember.

Thats cool. So the next big question is when can I that imagery in my sim!!  hehe

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

That was fascinating! Thanks for sharing the video link.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Very cool, I wonder how long it will be before that technology will be able to be applied to flight sims? As real as it gets!

Thanks for posting!

Did you try google earth VR? it's mind blowing!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Would be awesome when PC's have the power to use that sort of tech in a flight simulator, currently the display rate would be very slow. 20 years from now it could be the new standard.

Matthew Kane

Thanks for sharing this!

Cheers!

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

6 hours ago, HighTowers said:

Thats cool. So the next big question is when can I that imagery in my sim!!  hehe

There's a freeware program in AVSIM's library called GENnav.  It's a moving map using Google earth.  You can adjust the viewing angle so that it uses Google Earth's 3d feature.  Sometimes I run it on a separate screen and often find myself looking at that screen more than the sim's.  It used to be a payware program and it's very well done.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

9 hours ago, vp49p3 said:

There's a freeware program in AVSIM's library called GENnav.  It's a moving map using Google earth.  You can adjust the viewing angle so that it uses Google Earth's 3d feature.  Sometimes I run it on a separate screen and often find myself looking at that screen more than the sim's.  It used to be a payware program and it's very well done.

Cool thanks. I will check it out. I would think there's  some performance hit running both ?

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

6 hours ago, HighTowers said:

Cool thanks. I will check it out. I would think there's  some performance hit running both ?

Don't really know, as I used to run the program on a networked client computer.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

I look for GENnav in the library and cant find it. Can someone find a link for it please?