Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Baker

"P3D has stopped working"

Update:

I can't get the sim to crash in the area on a default airplane, even following your prescribed protocol.  I just can't reproduce in the error when I'm trying.

In frustration, I thought I'd blow some steam off and just do a FS Labs a320 flight from CYYZ to KLAX.  Pushing back I got the HEAP IS CORRUPTED error.  At this point, I'm feeling like P3D v4.1 is fatally flawed in some way (or more likely some combination of v4 and some add-on).  My instinct is to hangar it and go back to v3 until someone more patient and intelligent than me can figure out what the issue is - but maybe that's just my frustration speaking.

- Daniel

Have you followed the guidance in the AvSim CTD Guide? Settings too high maybe?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Don't think so.

FXAA: off

MSAA: x2

Texture Anti: 4x

Texture Res: Low (512x512)

Resolution: 1920x1080x32

Vsync: on; Frames; unlimited

LOD: Medium

Tessellation: Low

Mesh: 19m

Texture: 1m

Scenery: Dense

Autogen Draw: Medium

Autogen Veg: Dense

Autogen building: Dense

Water detail: Medium

Special FX: detail - medium, draw - medium

No HDR or Dynamic lighting

No Dynamic reflections

Landing lights & display flare: on

Shadows: quality - low, distance - low | Internal vehicle - only cast on, external vehicle - cast & receive on; all else off

Clouds: Draw - 90 mi, density - maximum, detailed clouds - on, volumetric fog - on, detail precip - on,  windshield fx - on, no thermal viz

All traffic at 0% (using UT Live only)

I haven't touched the .cfg

Your opinion?

i6700k, with a GTX 970, Windows 10 64 Home

Thanks,

Daniel

Those look okay. Try going to EGLC and fly westward to Heathrow. That is one of the most scenery demanding areas in P3D. If you can get reasonable performance there then your settings are okay.

If the problem occurs with the FSL A320 but not with a default aircraft then the extra load of the A320 might be a factor. Try multiple flights elsewhere with the A320 and without. Is there a pattern?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Since updating from 4.1 to 4.2 I get terrain.dll CTDs after long hauls before the outer marker.  In all of that long winded crash reports from the OP, "terrain.dll" is what stands out to me.

spacer.png

The terrain.dll indicates a high setting somewhere too.  I would save your p3d.dll to p3d.dll.off, restart p3d and let it rebuild.  Maybe change the settings on the Display page so you have the proper resolutions but leave everything else as default.  Try the flight again. 

You have to look at the scenery being loaded and make sure the airport scenery being loaded at destination does not exceed the recommendations (if any) by the developer.  The only solution I have ever seen for the terrain.dll error was to lower settings.  I would tell whoever developed the scenery at destination to fix it as it is causing crashes.  Maybe you can do this yourself removing some eye-candy settings, if any.  The destination and approach require a huge amount of resources.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

35 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I would save your p3d.dll to p3d.dll.off, restart p3d and let it rebuild.

Where does p3d.dll reside please, brother Jim?  Unable to locate such.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Boomer said:

Where does p3d.dll reside please, brother Jim?  Unable to locate such.

LOL.  Of course I meant p3d.cfg.  Sorry about that.  My settings are very high and I have been flying into resource high scenery with ASP4 turned on and I have not even come close to a crash (yet).  The only thing I do not have turned on is Autogen.  I do have Scenery Complexity slider on high but everything below that is off.  This could be the cause of your woes.  The developer of the scenery may have Autogen that is missing or corrupt or not compatible with P3Dv4.  I just cannot see how you can be having crashes with high settings.  So you might want to turn off Autogen.  Another possibility is incompatible textures on a static AI at the airport.  I hope you can find it.  I have been flying V4.2 like crazy lately and enjoying it a lot.  The only issue I had was a crash this morning that was caused by me - https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/531556-wrong-information-for-p3dv4-users/

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ok Jim I'll look into your advice and report back in time.  Cheers fellow traveler.

spacer.png

just to let you guys know I got this same crash tonight. Yes you guessed it! Northern Quebec.  Not sure if a fix has been announced or a solution.

Prepar3D.exe Stopped working 3/19/2018 8:26:43 PM All Users 0xc0000374 A heap has been corrupted.
  StackHash_f04d 10.0.16299.248 C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe 48,590 C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Prepar3D.exe_b1a10be368a18642b455dda35fa03a6f2912a4_00292455_3c0ee506\Report.wer 

Well, your not alone:angry:.

Had the same error yesterday somewhere near fix 53N050W and inbound to RIKAL int.  Before i had this error some 3 à 4 times, always in the same area, but also once on approach into KJFK.  In that case i had already passed the "error zone" of northern Quebec !?!

As we speak, i refly the flight from Europe to KJFK, but on a more southerly route and hope i will avoid the "problem zone".

I know, it's not a solution but...

I have P3Dv4.2, ORBX global and vector, PNW, several airports everywhere in the world from different producers.  Then also AS16, PFPX, Ivap, Aivlasoft, Chaseplane.  

I don't use onboard ATC (disabled), i have no Mytraffic or something like that.  I fly only online with IVAO.

No overclocking, No AV, but i have Win Defender running, all FS-folders are disabled from scanning.

My settings are not that high, the only setting that is max has to do with weather and clouds.

If i correctly understand the CTD-guide, only disabling scenery's in the scenery library should be fine, no need to uninstall the scenery's?

Hoping for good news...

I had this error with PMDG B747.

What airplanes are you using when having this error?

A suggestion for those experiencing the lockup problem. If you have a paid version of FSUIPC then load a save flight a few minutes before the freeze. If it freezes again then it might be reproducible and can be fixed.

Load the saved flight and pause P3D. Make a note of GMT time, altitude, lat & lon and heading. Unpause and hope for the crash. Make a note of the time it took from unpausing to freezing.

Send the info to LM on their forum.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well, i managed to arrive at my destination KJFK without being "stopped".  I followed a far more southerly route, not sure if the one has to do with the other.

Only way to try is to fly this route again and see wat happens. I have disabled some of my scenery's, like ORBX Trees, ORBX Land Class NA.

Allthough someone mentioned he has no ORBX-stuff, so it should be something else?

I have a payware version of FSUIPC, but have disabled the auto-save function, as this gives annoying stutters, but have saved from time to time when approaching the problem zone.