Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Any respite in sight for GTX cards ?

Hi Folks,

I've got my new build stagnating in want of a new video card... Prior to the holidays - GTX1080's (not TI) were in the $500.00 range - now they seem to be in the $1000.00 range - there is no way in hell I'm spending that on a video card - anyone catch any news of relief lately ? I'm partial to EVGA but will certainly consider other quality brands...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Have you tried EVGA’s Auto-Notification? Worked well for me 3 weeks ago when I ordered a 1080 FTW card for a build. Price was $620... not too bad (I paid $585 for my own MSI 1080 Gaming back in September).

Good luck and press on!

Greg

• Upvote 3

Hi Greg,

Nope - let me look into that - thanks for the response...

Regards,
Scott

Prices are becoming absolutely insane..

Yesterday however the prices fell almost to half (about 450 euro for the gtx 1080ti) and went high again.

Does anybody know why?

Hi...

I can’t speak for the sudden drop - but the “insane” is thanks to bitcoin miners...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Ourgas2 said:

Prices are becoming absolutely insane..

Yesterday however the prices fell almost to half (about 450 euro for the gtx 1080ti) and went high again.

Does anybody know why?

People using graphics cards to mine Bitcoins. 

Wait for the Bitcoin crash and you'll pick them up for peanuts.

1 hour ago, FS++ said:

Wait for the Bitcoin crash and you'll pick them up for peanuts.

It will be interesting to see if this becomes the reality. 

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

When the bit coin bubble does burst, will you take a chance on a card that's done more work in a month than you would in over year, and likely they will be sold off as being owned by an old lady who only surfed the net as they will try to recoup as much cost as possible, and may not be as cheap as you think.   

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I read an article about MicroCenter only selling graphics cards at MSRP to gamers going forward.  There's a caveat though...you also need to purchase other components as well and need the Store Manager's approval before they would sell to you.  If I run across the story, I'll link it to this comment.  Quite honestly, I think amazon is your best bet.  You'll need to stalk it a bit, but it seems everyday weekday around 7 AM and anywhere between 8 PM to 11 PM they have 1080 Ti's selling at or close to MSRP.  I picked one up by stalking it a couple of weeks ago.

Link to story:

http://www.pcgamer.com/micro-center-will-sell-you-a-graphics-card-at-msrp-if-its-for-gaming-instead-of-mining/

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

Yep, prices have just about doubled in the past few months as the cryptocurrency mining craze has created a massive demand for high end graphics cards and CPU's.   I'm sure that once these kids realize that cryptocurrency will not buy them a pizza and a beer, it has no real value other than what they can con some "investor" out of, it will crash, the craze will be over, and the market will be flooded with very well used computers and components.  Until then, either retailers need to implement some sort of a system that will limit card sales to people who are building a computer for personal use or you will have to resort to buying a whole computer from a builder.  I'm sure the big computer building companies are getting their cards for a whole lot less than what an individual can get them for in the current retail market.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

39 minutes ago, stans said:

Yep, prices have just about doubled in the past few months as the cryptocurrency mining craze has created a massive demand for high end graphics cards and CPU's.   I'm sure that once these kids realize that cryptocurrency will not buy them a pizza and a beer, it has no real value other than what they can con some "investor" out of, it will crash, the craze will be over, and the market will be flooded with very well used computers and components.

You may want to research this subject again because your completely off. First high end CPU are not required for mining. The GPU does all the work. You can run a mining rig on a low end Celeron CPU. Second, these are not kids but adults that are doing the majority of the mining. Some investors have major operations running in warehouses running thousands of rigs at a time. I believe one of the largest is in Iceland. Third, there is money to be made in mining but it takes time and effort before you see the rewards. Even users on a single home rig after 9 or 10 months can start to see double digit profits a day if they are mining correctly. And lastly I’m not a fan of mining because it effects the hobby I enjoy.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, Wise87 said:

You may want to research this subject again because your completely off. First high end CPU are not required for mining. The GPU does all the work. You can run a mining rig on a low end Celeron CPU. Second, these are not kids but adults that doing the majority of the mining. Some investors have major operations running in warehouses running thousands of rigs at a time. I believe one of the largest is in Iceland. Third, there is money to be made in mining but it takes time and effort before you see the rewards. Even users on a single home rig after 9 or 10 months can start to see double digit profits a day if they are mining correctly. And lastly I’m not a fan of mining because it effects the hobby I enjoy.

I do not lay any claim to being an expert on cryptocurrency or the mining thereof, I'm just thinking back about two decades ago and the Dot Com craze and crash.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I was just nosing around Amazon and saw 1080's in many versions from roughly 1000 to 1500 US.  Ridiculous.  I wouldn't mind having one but I certainly won't be spending that much for it. My trusty old 980ti will just continue to work for me.

Sad times in the market.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

23 hours ago, lownslo said:

Have you tried EVGA’s Auto-Notification? Worked well for me 3 weeks ago when I ordered a 1080 FTW card for a build. Price was $620... not too bad (I paid $585 for my own MSI 1080 Gaming back in September).

Good luck and press on!

Greg

I know of two users who went directly to EVGA and now have 1080s on the way for their new builds. Best part is it only took about a week.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I just went to EVGA and did the auto notify, let's see what happens.  It's for this: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6391-KR @$739.  The next card is:  https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-5390-KR @$749  For the life of me, except for the enclosed case and cooling(?) I can't tell the difference.  I checked specs and it looks perfectly compatible with my MB and PSU (Corsair 850W).

Thanks!

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11