Sign in to follow this  
Mixer21

Loading an FSX save of PMDG 737 causes complete loss of control and leads to a crash

So, I was playing FSX like I normally do, using PMDG 737-800 NGX, everything was going smoothly, the airplane climbed all the way up to T/C, I saved the game, like always, using default FSX saving method and then quit. After coming back to finish my flight a bit later, I loaded the save and this is what happened:

First three seconds of flight were normal, then the plane made a 90 degree turn, dove, turned upside-down, flying with a V/S of 30,000 ft/min, spinning around, having completely lost control. I thought it was just an FSX error and I relaunched the save. Same thing happened again. I tried to use the slew mode to get the plane to a stable position and manually reloaded the panel state using FMC and it was still completely uncontrollable. The thing is, it only happened to 2 saves of this flight, this one and the other one I saved after takeoff. All the other flights load properly, except for this one. I expect this will also happen to other saves I will save in the future, plus I'd also like to be able to load my flight again, so here I am, asking what could have gone wrong with the game and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

John Davies

11 minutes ago, Mixer21 said:

First three seconds of flight were normal, then the plane made a 90 degree turn, dove, turned upside-down, flying with a V/S of 30,000 ft/min, spinning around, having completely lost control. I thought it was just an FSX error and I relaunched the save. Same thing happened again. I tried to use the slew mode to get the plane to a stable position and manually reloaded the panel state using FMC and it was still completely uncontrollable. The thing is, it only happened to 2 saves of this flight, this one and the other one I saved after takeoff. All the other flights load properly, except for this one. I expect this will also happen to other saves I will save in the future, plus I'd also like to be able to load my flight again, so here I am, asking what could have gone wrong with the game and how to fix it.

When you first load the sim, what aircraft is spinning in the window?

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

When you first load the sim, what aircraft is spinning in the window?

AirCreation Trike Ultralight

19 minutes ago, Mixer21 said:

it only happened to 2 saves of this flight, this one and the other one I saved after takeoff

Running any anti-virus software? Running the sim as an admin? If it's hit-or-miss, sounds like file corruption.

Kyle Rodgers

1 minute ago, scandinavian13 said:

Running any anti-virus software? Running the sim as an admin? If it's hit-or-miss, sounds like file corruption.

I always have antivirus (Norton Security) running in the background and FSX is always ran as administrator - it's never caused any problems.

When you restart a flight look at your airelon trim on the yoke.  I would sometimes have an issue like you describe and loading a saved flight it always had the trim fully deflected.  When I ran FSX I had a button assigned to reset trim just for this.

Hope it helps.

Joe Lorenc

Joe Lorenc

10 minutes ago, Mixer21 said:

I always have antivirus (Norton Security) running in the background and FSX is always ran as administrator - it's never caused any problems.

Make sure to put it on a leash. The program is awful in general. Even more so when it isn't reigned in. Create an exception if you haven't already, though I'd strongly recommend removing it (yes, even as someone who works in netsec, and taught Security+ for a number of years - aftermarket AV is entirely worthless at home).

Kyle Rodgers

Nothing seems to be working, I turned off the AV and made sure ailerons being fully trimmed weren't the case.

1 hour ago, Mixer21 said:

Nothing seems to be working, I turned off the AV and made sure ailerons being fully trimmed weren't the case.

Well it's not going to work on a save that's already corrupted, if that's what you're trying.

Kyle Rodgers