Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[27JAN18] First Preview of the PMDG 747-8. Exciting Times Ahead!

I see the JS41 took a back seat again in favor of the 747/8 which is understandable. Definitely looking forward to get the 747/8 and NG3, wondering if there is anymore solid news on the little guy?

• Upvote 1

Michael Lagow
Madness Software

50 minutes ago, Mark II said:

I'll second your question, that would make a lot of sense, not everybody has a Navigraph relationship therefore freeware PDF charts within the EFB would be a classy touch indeed.

Told that, I am pretty sure sometimes even Mr. Randazzo dreams about a PMDG 787 and I think the chance to annihilate the competitors by skills shows, it is growing in him too.

Am I totally wrong on that ? :happy: 

Totally agree, that'd be wonderful :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mark II said:

I'll second your question, that would make a lot of sense, not everybody has a Navigraph relationship therefore freeware PDF charts within the EFB would be a classy touch indeed.

Actually I think that, the answer to your question has already been answered by Robert in the original post here:

We recognize that some users do not want to have a subscription to a navigation charting service, but we do not anticipate creating any “Free” options that are compatible with our EFB- primarily for the same reason we have held off on the EFB creation this long:  There aren’t any good unified sources of that data that we feel can be relied upon to justify the work investment required…

As far I can derive from that, they're not anticipating and FREE options - hence no PDF support etc...

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

If you don´t want a subscribtion with navigraph, don´t be mad if you don´t get charts on your EFB as both companies (PMDG and Navigraph) are working hard to improve and to keep their products alive and up-to-date.
Furthermore you have always up-to-date charts on your plane which is a must-have for flying online. So its just a "making sense" thing.

• Upvote 2

Regards, Timm
ng6sypel.png
V1 Simulations | SimAware

Regarding the JS41:
The 744/748 team is largely independent of that project, so the 41 taking a back seat to it isn't quite accurate. That team is working largely on the projects I've been working on, so if you want to blame anyone, it's Pigeonworks projects, and not the 74 project.

Regarding a free chart option:
Make sure to actually read the announcement. I know RSR writes a lot, but it's amazing the number of questions that wouldn't be necessary if people slowed down to read what's in front of them.
"We recognize that some users do not want to have a subscription to a navigation charting service, but we do not anticipate creating any “Free” options that are compatible with our EFB- primarily for the same reason we have held off on the EFB creation this long:  There aren’t any good unified sources of that data that we feel can be relied upon to justify the work investment required…"

• Upvote 5

Kyle Rodgers

Well this is all excellent news! I was going to rebuy NGX for P3Dv4 but seeing as there is a NG3 coming guess I shall wait. Means I will upgrade to the 777 and 747-4/8 lines instead. Exciting times ahead it seems. Nice to see the EFB get incorporated for performance calculations. TOPCAT was always a nice program, but didn't support some aircraft. So at least the 748 gets it natively built in. Very much appreciated.

787 by PMDG is a no-brainer if you ask me.
Who can do this bird better?... Exactly.
Time wise who knows. I can just hope and dream :)

I think 777X won't be coming too soon. If I am not mistaken PMDG doesn't do birds that are not in service.

I just can't wait to load cargo on the 8F. I was never a fan of the 400 yet I'm flying her the most lol. Just tells how good this team is.

• Upvote 1

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

I'm constantly amazed how PMDG constantly reaches new heights in their developments...

Just when you think a new pinnacle is reached, a new screenshot or preview emerges - and you just stand, looking up, going 'What the ... '   ... :blink:

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

Regarding the JS41:
The 744/748 team is largely independent of that project, so the 41 taking a back seat to it isn't quite accurate. That team is working largely on the projects I've been working on, so if you want to blame anyone, it's Pigeonworks projects, and not the 74 project.

Darn pigeons! You have any idea how hard it is to get those stains out?

Michael Lagow
Madness Software

Veeeery nice to hear.. especially since i start to work on the 747-8i from today on :)

5B8Z4dj.jpg

• Upvote 13

Fantastic news! This keeps PMDG as the defacto leader in Flight Sim textbook aircraft! This is why you guys are the standard that all others try to achieve and compare themselves to. Keep up the great work you all do and I will buy it day one!

• Upvote 2

Jon Richardson

Raleigh, NC

3 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Regarding the JS41:

Regarding a free chart option:
Make sure to actually read the announcement. I know RSR writes a lot, but it's amazing the number of questions that wouldn't be necessary if people slowed down to read what's in front of them.
"We recognize that some users do not want to have a subscription to a navigation charting service, but we do not anticipate creating any “Free” options that are compatible with our EFB- primarily for the same reason we have held off on the EFB creation this long:  There aren’t any good unified sources of that data that we feel can be relied upon to justify the work investment required…"

Will this be like the base Navigraph data set that comes with their other products?  Where you get the current one at time of release, but you need to pay for future updates.

Or will you need to have an active subscription for the charts/airport maps to work at all?  If that is the case, can you purchase a "one time" chart/airport map data set, and then just choose to fly with expired charts?

Are the airport maps and in-flight charts part of the same subscription, or will one of them work with no additional subscription?  

Looking forward to this...

<--------------->
Mike Murawski

12 minutes ago, Murawski said:

Will this be like the base Navigraph data set that comes with their other products?  Where you get the current one at time of release, but you need to pay for future updates.

Or will you need to have an active subscription for the charts/airport maps to work at all?  If that is the case, can you purchase a "one time" chart/airport map data set, and then just choose to fly with expired charts?

Are the airport maps and in-flight charts part of the same subscription, or will one of them work with no additional subscription?  

Looking forward to this...

Access to their charts is via subscription. If the subscription is not active, you can't access them - this is how Navigraph operates. You could, feasibly, pay for one month's subscription, and have access to those for 30 days, but afterwards, you don't get those charts anymore. 

Likely the ground map is based on AFCAD (sim) data so should be fine.

A while ago I paid $6 or something for a month to update PMDG.

Now I purchased one year sub for $30 and I have everything from little nav map, through all my planes to SimBrief updated for a year. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

• Upvote 2

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

So... does this mean that the 747-8i will require a mandatory Navigraph subscription on top of the price of the module itself?