Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

i7 2600K 3.4G Sandybridge Overclocked at 4.4G - crashes for unknown reasons

Hi everyone, 

I have an i7 3.4G Sandybridge overclocked to 4.4G on an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe (LGA 1155).  I have been overclocked to 4.0G, but have been pushing it up to 4.4G recently using the ASUS tool.  

Recently, I am experiencing complete system crashes and not in MSFS or in P3Dv4, but in regular MS Office applications (e.g. Outlook) and MS Edge.  I mean hard crashes where the monitor goes goofy and the speakers make noise or the program window go all white and becomes unresponsive.  Also, I have been experiencing random hard computer shutdowns and re-starts for no apparent reason. 

I'm in the process of troubleshooting and would like to know whether any of these issues/events could be the result of overclocking too high.  The CPU temps never get above 60C, with CPU speed at 4.4G in P3D flying PMDG with Orbx and high-end airport addons.  With the office programs and MS Edge, I'm running CPU speed of between 1.6 to 4.4G and CPU temps around 30C.   I'm using Speccy and Real Temp to monitor the system.

This could not be another side effect of the Fall Creator's update, could it be?

Thanks for your help1

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

I have same chip and running at 4.7  was 4.9 for a while , I need to strip the board and cpu and redo the paste and check my water cooler to get back to 4.9.  I found its a balance between voltages, clock speed and cooling.  I think you should have a good cooling system for starters preferably water / liquid cooling. You can crash out with too little voltage when the system needs it and with too much voltage.

The 2600k is capable of a steady 4.8 if its tuned properly ...(possible 5.0 + but can be a bit unstable)

Checkout how some of the other overclockers do it....  but watch you don't overdo the voltages I blew my first one at 5.2+ (blew 2 cores but still ran ...  pretty darn good too) ....  went too far and also disabled some important monitoring processes.

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

14 hours ago, richjb2 said:

Hi everyone, 

I have an i7 3.4G Sandybridge overclocked to 4.4G on an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe (LGA 1155).  I have been overclocked to 4.0G, but have been pushing it up to 4.4G recently using the ASUS tool.  

Recently, I am experiencing complete system crashes and not in MSFS or in P3Dv4, but in regular MS Office applications (e.g. Outlook) and MS Edge.  I mean hard crashes where the monitor goes goofy and the speakers make noise or the program window go all white and becomes unresponsive.  Also, I have been experiencing random hard computer shutdowns and re-starts for no apparent reason. 

I'm in the process of troubleshooting and would like to know whether any of these issues/events could be the result of overclocking too high.  The CPU temps never get above 60C, with CPU speed at 4.4G in P3D flying PMDG with Orbx and high-end airport addons.  With the office programs and MS Edge, I'm running CPU speed of between 1.6 to 4.4G and CPU temps around 30C.   I'm using Speccy and Real Temp to monitor the system.

This could not be another side effect of the Fall Creator's update, could it be?

Thanks for your help1

Rich Boll

Whenever you have any kind of an issue like this, it's very important to eliminate the overclocking variable. For that reason, set the BIOS to optimised defaults. No overclock! 

Run the system like this for as long as it takes for the issues to arise. If they don't, you have answered the question regarding overclocking as a cause yourself. You can then tick that off your list of possible explanations for the issues.

it's a process of elimination.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, richjb2 said:

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for your help1

Rich Boll

It certainly can be the Fall Creator's update or the recent updates for the Meltdown and Spectre bugs.  Have you recently updated your BIOS?  The other factor you may want to check is the use of the ASUS tool to OC.  In mine and many others experience, probably not the best to use for OC purposes.  It's best for you to tweak all parameters of the BIOS manually.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

My i5 clocked at 4.6 perfoms great in fsx. At 4.8, it performs great in all the endurance tests, but crashes when I am running fsx.

This assumes that the cooling setup has not been compromised over the years. I had one pc that giving me the BSD, so I finally decided to replace it.  As I was removing the motherborad,  I noticed that the heatsink had actually become loose and the heatsink gel had dried out completely.

I could have saved some money had I decided to check the heatsink before purchasing a new motheboard and cpu.

We assume that the heatsink gel lasts forever. It does not, and it eventually dries out, as it did in my case.

Thanks everyone,

I'll reset the overclock and see what happens!

Rich

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

2 hours ago, DylanC said:

The other factor you may want to check is the use of the ASUS tool to OC.  In mine and many others experience, probably not the best to use for OC purposes.  It's best for you to tweak all parameters of the BIOS manually.

I would have to disagree. I've had a lot of experience with Asus Five Way Optimisation, and it's actually very good these days. For my old 6700K system, it overclocked identically to my manual overclock in terms of voltage. Stable, cool, no issues.

This "overclocking tools are no good" statement that's often made is a generalised statement people label all  auto overclock tools with when actually they shouldn't. 

I'll be overclocking my 8700K shortly, when I do, I will manually overclock but also give 5WO a shot too. And when I do, I wont be surprised at all if it does a fine job. Of course, there will always be some that have issues with 5WO. There are quite a few parameters that need to be set to be honest and often what happens is that people just guess what to set without any thought. The complaint I often see is "the voltage is higher". Well what I've found is that it is higher, but not by much. And there's nothing stopping anyone using 5WO and then tweaking down the voltage from there if they so choose. 

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

I would have to disagree. I've had a lot of experience with Asus Five Way Optimisation, and it's actually very good these days. For my old 6700K system, it overclocked identically to my manual overclock in terms of voltage. Stable, cool, no issues.

This "overclocking tools are no good" statement that's often made is a generalised statement people label all  auto overclock tools with when actually they shouldn't. 

I'll be overclocking my 8700K shortly, when I do, I will manually overclock but also give 5WO a shot too. And when I do, I wont be surprised at all if it does a fine job. Of course, there will always be some that have issues with 5WO. There are quite a few parameters that need to be set to be honest and often what happens is that people just guess what to set without any thought. The complaint I often see is "the voltage is higher". Well what I've found is that it is higher, but not by much. And there's nothing stopping anyone using 5WO and then tweaking down the voltage from there if they so choose. 

I'm a control freak, especially when I'm spending my hard earned cash on a rig.  I would rather OC manually, test it and if something fails to start or I get a CTD, I know what parameters were changed and what to fix.  That's just me and you're right, I should not have generalized.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

On 27 January 2018 at 11:22 PM, richjb2 said:

Recently, I am experiencing complete system crashes and not in MSFS or in P3Dv4, but in regular MS Office applications (e.g. Outlook) and MS Edge.

When you say recently, how recently? Also, do you have Malwarebytes on your system? I had similar problems about 24 hours ago and, after a lot of frustrating troubleshooting I tracked it down to Malwarebytes. I had to uninstall it temporarily to make my system stable again. Apparently an update  to the app was causing the problem and a corrected update was sent out yesterday. It's now reinstalled and everything is running normally again.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

10 hours ago, DylanC said:

I'm a control freak, especially when I'm spending my hard earned cash on a rig.  I would rather OC manually, test it and if something fails to start or I get a CTD, I know what parameters were changed and what to fix.  That's just me and you're right, I should not have generalized.

Yep, nothing wrong with having control over such things.

Point is though, in the scenario you mention, if 5WO  is suspected of causing issues, it's simply a case of setting the BIOS to optimised defaults and all is back to default settings. So no reason not to give it a shot.

But yes, personal choice and I have no issues at all with you choosing to stick to manual overclocking. Manual overclocking was always my preference too, but given how well 5WO has functioned with my previous rig I have no hesitation in giving it a try.

I'm about to actually, this morning. Will be interesting to see if it performs as well as it did with my previous system. There is a possibility it won't, given that Coffee Lake is a relatively new platform. It often takes a few BIOS updates and Ai Suite updates before this stuff functions at its best. 

On 1/28/2018 at 6:44 PM, vortex681 said:

When you say recently, how recently? Also, do you have Malwarebytes on your system? I had similar problems about 24 hours ago and, after a lot of frustrating troubleshooting I tracked it down to Malwarebytes. I had to uninstall it temporarily to make my system stable again. Apparently an update  to the app was causing the problem and a corrected update was sent out yesterday. It's now reinstalled and everything is running normally again.

I do have Malwarebytes on my system, and I did also see issues with MB.  So far today no problems  so maybe issues has been resolved? 

Thanks everyone! 

Rich

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

2 hours ago, richjb2 said:

I do have Malwarebytes on my system, and I did also see issues with MB.  So far today no problems  so maybe issues has been resolved?

As you left it installed, it would have automatically updated to the fixed version so all should now be good.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit