Sign in to follow this  
rusty61

Question on stutters

Hi all,

Recently moved to P3D v4

System Specs

i5 4690k oC to 4.2Ghz

8gb ram

Nvidia 750 Ti  2Gb Ram running 2 monitors. 1 for a panel.

Win10 64bit

PMDG 737NGX

Orbx Scenery

UK2000 airports

GSX

Without causing another great debate on the dreaded stutters, just one question really.

I can have all sliders maxed out and achieve on average 25fps. With micro stutters.

I can move all sliders to the minimum (or anywhere in between) and achieve on average 25fps. With micro stutters.

So the question is "How come". I appreciate I push the system but I would have expected at least a frame rate increase if not less stutters and yet to all intents and purposes the same results. Visually.

Any advice on possible solutions or possible hardware upgrades.

Thanks for any advice.

Kind regards

Steve

Frame rates unlocked. If locked with or without Vsync down 10 around 12fps

59 minutes ago, rusty61 said:

Hi all,

Recently moved to P3D v4

System Specs

i5 4690k oC to 4.2Ghz

8gb ram

Nvidia 750 Ti  2Gb Ram running 2 monitors. 1 for a panel.

Win10 64bit

PMDG 737NGX

Orbx Scenery

UK2000 airports

GSX

Without causing another great debate on the dreaded stutters, just one question really.

I can have all sliders maxed out and achieve on average 25fps. With micro stutters.

I can move all sliders to the minimum (or anywhere in between) and achieve on average 25fps. With micro stutters.

So the question is "How come". I appreciate I push the system but I would have expected at least a frame rate increase if not less stutters and yet to all intents and purposes the same results. Visually.

Thanks for any advice.

Kind regards

Steve

Frame rates unlocked. If locked with or without Vsync down 10 around 12fps

Hi,

Possible harware upgrades : Nvidia 1080 Ti 11Gb Ram and add 8gb ram to have 16gb or better 32gb.

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

1 hour ago, rusty61 said:

Hardware upgrades will not stop the stutters.  I have conservative settings and no autogen enabled and get long stutters and micro-stutters in the Orbx SoCal LAX area (very smooth in most other areas).  I have a very powerful system (see specs).  Even with default settings I get stutters there so there is a coding problem by most likely Orbx.  I also have FSDT KLAX installed and that could be the problem too but I do know that there is a compatibility issue with KLAX, Orbx, and KLAS.  You have to disable some files in all of the sceneries in order to get the scenery to display properly.  So look for compatibility issues with various sceneries.  I would not blame P3DV4 unless it does this with default scenery and aircraft.  I have found that autogen is the number one cause of stutters, then addon scenery.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Micro stutters are unfortunately something you will have to accept with P3D.  Even with the best HW and high frame rate, you will still notice micro stutters.  Your graphic card could use an upgrade, but expectation on having absolutely no stutters must be tempered.  Also if the NGX is all that you use, try disable ORBX.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Thanks for the input guys. I understand that stutters cant be eliminated entirely but cant understand why the frame rates remain the same whether the sliders are maxed out or dragged to the minimums. More curious than anything. I would have expected the frame rates to hit single figures with everything up high. Regards Steve.

Remember this:  if your CPU or your GPU are always running at max level (100%), you will see stutters. Adjust your settings until your CPU or GPU are not maxed out to reduce stutters. Use monitoring applications to see your CPU & GPU utilisation %.

Mike

15 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Hardware upgrades will not stop the stutters.  I have conservative settings and no autogen enabled and get long stutters and micro-stutters in the Orbx SoCal LAX area (very smooth in most other areas).  I have a very powerful system (see specs).  Even with default settings I get stutters there so there is a coding problem by most likely Orbx.  I also have FSDT KLAX installed and that could be the problem too but I do know that there is a compatibility issue with KLAX, Orbx, and KLAS.  You have to disable some files in all of the sceneries in order to get the scenery to display properly.  So look for compatibility issues with various sceneries.  I would not blame P3DV4 unless it does this with default scenery and aircraft.  I have found that autogen is the number one cause of stutters, then addon scenery.

I've said this a million times,  if Orbx,  LM, fsdreamteam, flytampa and flight beam sat down for a couple of weeks in a room and worked together you have 75 percent if the issues people suffer fixed. It's heartbreaking 

• Upvote 2

14ppkc-6.png

I haven't used any manual "tweaks" for a very long time but for the last couple of weeks I tried out the below two. Might be wishful thinking but I do find my simulator to run more smooth (zero stutters) compared to before adding these manual tweaks. And this is without changing any other settings.

Thought I would share this since the main reason for adding these tweaks isn't to make things run more smooth but rather stop seeing object textures getting black before they are redrawn as well as extend the range of sharp ground textures.

My own theory why these tweaks might make things more smooth is because more data are in place all the time (in the very fast GPU memory), thus less data is required to be read which in turn decreases the workload leaving you with a more smooth experience.

Just speculating...

Anyways, I'm very happy with how my P3Dv4.1 performs at this point and here's the tweaks I've added to Prepar3D.cfg:

[DISPLAY]
TextureMaxLoad=30

[TERRAIN]
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

Richard Åsberg

One other thing to consider, with only 8GB of physical RAM you're probably (almost certainly?) moving pages to virtual memory. P3Dv4 routinely uses more than 8GB of VAS and when you add-in all the the other "stuff" going on performance has to suffer a bit.........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Texture load may help but increasing terrain size exp increases workload significantly across both the CPU and GPU. It would without a doubt cause more stutters and lower FPS unless you turn down all other autogen settings. 

29 minutes ago, TheBoom said:

Texture load may help but increasing terrain size exp increases workload significantly across both the CPU and GPU. It would without a doubt cause more stutters and lower FPS unless you turn down all other autogen settings. 

what do you have your texture_size_ exp set to ? 

14ppkc-6.png

9 hours ago, tooting said:

what do you have your texture_size_ exp set to ? 

I was originally using 10, however I assumed it only affected GPU vram. I now use 9 and reduced CPU load by a ton. 

I find 9 is a good balance between quality and performance for my system. 

9 is basically “Use high resolution textures” ticked and no entry in the config file. 

You should not use either the checkbox or texture_size_ exp but both together (or none). Beau Hollis explained that otherwise you may get unpredictable results:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=127871

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

48 minutes ago, pmb said:

You should not use either the checkbox or texture_size_ exp but both together (or none). Beau Hollis explained that otherwise you may get unpredictable results:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=127871

Kind regards, Michael

Using both applies to 10 only. For a setting of 9 no config entry is required. For 8 use neither.

Read his last post again. 

Let’s not spread misinformation.