Sign in to follow this  
Ephedrin

General use of the WXR and Active Sky

Cheers,

I know there's a wonderful search function, but unfortunately it prefers delivering pre-anthropological threads whose (wrong preposition, I know) content is very likely not up to date.. 

I believe to remember having read somewhere in the forums or manuals that it is required to set the Active Sky map to "detailed" at least when flying the NGX to get a properly cleaned airplane. Now I'm just firing up the 747 for a short hop from LSZH to LDPL (Hey, it's the Iron Maiden World tour, they may fly into everywhere) and I was wondering if this is still necessary with the newer airplanes, latest updates and so on. The reason I ask is that the detailed map slows the AS window down that much that my whole system lags when I open it from minimized on my second screen. Of course I could leave it opened and put the charts or anything else over it, but TBH my girlfriend on my background looks a lot better than any Jeppesen Chart. 

Will the weather radar receive all required data even with the ordinary map mode?

Regards,

Marc

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

Cheers,

I know there's a wonderful search function, but unfortunately it prefers delivering pre-anthropological threads whose (wrong preposition, I know) content is very likely not up to date.. 

I believe to remember having read somewhere in the forums or manuals that it is required to set the Active Sky map to "detailed" at least when flying the NGX to get a properly cleaned airplane. Now I'm just firing up the 747 for a short hop from LSZH to LDPL (Hey, it's the Iron Maiden World tour, they may fly into everywhere) and I was wondering if this is still necessary with the newer airplanes, latest updates and so on. The reason I ask is that the detailed map slows the AS window down that much that my whole system lags when I open it from minimized on my second screen. Of course I could leave it opened and put the charts or anything else over it, but TBH my girlfriend on my background looks a lot better than any Jeppesen Chart. 

Will the weather radar receive all required data even with the ordinary map mode?

Regards,

Marc

Marc,

What do you mean by detail map? I have never changed anything on AS map settings, and never had any issues with the Wx radar

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

this one...

vu7n5q9t.png

but when you haven't done it... well.. Thanks :D

4 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

Read our manual. Don't pay attention to junk circulating various internet forums. Keep in mind that the general populace also believes that the 250/10 rule doesn't have any exceptions.

Who, exactly, told you this?

Kyle Rodgers

7 minutes ago, costamesa said:

https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a109/weather-radar-troubleshooting.aspx

'Correlation with ASN's map:' section says ASN map has to be in detail mode which is up to 90nm

Lol...this is what I get for not reading (and forgetting) our own stuff sometimes...

Good pull. Either way, follow the guidance we give you.

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

58 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Lol...this is what I get for not reading (and forgetting) our own stuff sometimes...

Tisk tisk, go read the manual:laugh:

Lol yep, if I had found it again I wouldn‘t have asked :laugh: I knew I had read it somewhere but wasn‘t sure about it anymore where exactly. But as you say it‘s not necessary anymore or at all I‘m fine.. :) thanks xD

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

Good pull. Either way, follow the guidance we give you.

Don't fold so quickly.  The guidance is on how to use the Active Sky map, turning on Detail will make the map presentation more concise but has no impact on what you see for radar presentation on the PMDG ND screen.  There is no change to the wxr display on the ND on changes to Actve Sky map.  Detail clouds option in P3D (or equivalent in FSX) does have to be enabled as mentioned separately in the KB article.  I've been using the ASN/AS16/ASP4 feature since beta and have never had a reason to use the Active Sky map.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 1/29/2018 at 3:02 PM, scandinavian13 said:

Read our manual. Don't pay attention to junk circulating various internet forums. Keep in mind that the general populace also believes that the 250/10 rule doesn't have any exceptions.

Who, exactly, told you this?

Kyle

I know all about the 1 in 60 rule; but I must be thick or seriously disappointed because I have never heard of the 250/10 rule.  I'm curious - has this anything to do with aircraft or is it the score out of 10 you gave for one of your girlfriends?

Bertie

21 minutes ago, berts said:

I know all about the 1 in 60 rule; but I must be thick or seriously disappointed because I have never heard of the 250/10 rule.  I'm curious - has this anything to do with aircraft or is it the score out of 10 you gave for one of your girlfriends?

I'm thinking he's referring to the 250 knots below 10,000 feet rule. People seem to have the misconception that 250 is a hard limit, rather than 250 or minimum clean speed, whichever is higher. A heavy Boeing 747-400 on a New York to Tokyo flight, for instance, is likely going to need a higher speed than 250 knots with the flaps up.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Thanks Kevin,

I see the light at last!  At heavy weights it is usual to fly at V2 +100kts below 10,000ft with Flaps UP until ATC cancels the speed restriction.  As you say, 250kts below 10,000ft is not a hard and fast rule. It was introduced as an SOP primarily to enhance flight safety by easing the flight crew's workload (and presumably ATC's too) thereby reducing the risk of a high speed 'controlled flight into terrain' accident.

Bertie 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, berts said:

Thanks Kevin,

I see the light at last!  At heavy weights it is usual to fly at V2 +100kts below 10,000ft with Flaps UP until ATC cancels the speed restriction.  As you say, 250kts below 10,000ft is not a hard and fast rule. It was introduced as an SOP primarily to enhance flight safety by easing the flight crew's workload (and presumably ATC's too) thereby reducing the risk of a high speed 'controlled flight into terrain' accident.

Bertie 

I‘ve heard that windsheeld manufacturers only give a guarantee up to 250 kts that the ws survives a bird‘s impact... true? 

11 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

I‘ve heard that windsheeld manufacturers only give a guarantee up to 250 kts that the ws survives a bird‘s impact... true? 

That would be an unusual one if that was the case, given that commercial jets are generally flying much faster than that, and some birds fly quite high.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

10 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

I'm thinking he's referring to the 250 knots below 10,000 feet rule. People seem to have the misconception that 250 is a hard limit, rather than 250 or minimum clean speed, whichever is higher. A heavy Boeing 747-400 on a New York to Tokyo flight, for instance, is likely going to need a higher speed than 250 knots with the flaps up.

Unless you're departing Leipzig (or any other German airport in Class E airspace) where the German regulator has decided that EU Regulation 923/2012 requires 250 KIAS with no exceptions and a €50,000 fine if you get caught :blink:. (NB: in Class C and above there is no speed limit other than that which may be imposed by ATC). At least one B744 operator out of there is quite literally telling its crews they are generally going to need to keep some flap out until above FL100.

Not a problem until you need wing anti-ice at which point if ATC are unobliging a Mayday may be required!