Sign in to follow this  
callegro

P3d V4 New computer out of disk space

Good Morning Guys,

So after 8 years of having my Alienware Aurora, I gave in and bought an ibuypower desktop.

https://www.frys.com/product/9063577?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

However, I am now reinstalling P3d V4, Activesky, REX, Orbx, etc. and I have already ran out of disk space. It is all on my C: drive. I don't remember having this issue with my Alienware, but should I uninstall and then reinstall everything on my D: drive? That has 934MB available compared to 111MB on my :C

10 minutes ago, callegro said:

Good Morning Guys,

So after 8 years of having my Alienware Aurora, I gave in and bought an ibuypower desktop.

https://www.frys.com/product/9063577?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

However, I am now reinstalling P3d V4, Activesky, REX, Orbx, etc. and I have already ran out of disk space. It is all on my C: drive. I don't remember having this issue with my Alienware, but should I uninstall and then reinstall everything on my D: drive? That has 934MB available compared to 111MB on my :C

120Gb of SSD space, is nowhere near big enough for the installation if you're also installing various addons.  I would STRONGLY advise uninstalling from C: drive and installing to separate drive (SSD if poss)

2 hours ago, Dougal said:

120Gb of SSD space, is nowhere near big enough for the installation if you're also installing various addons.  I would STRONGLY advise uninstalling from C: drive and installing to separate drive (SSD if poss)

Hard Drive

1TB SATA-III 7200RPM

That is what I have on my hard drive...does 1TB equate to 120GB+whatever is on the D drive? Do you think I would be okay with moving everything to the D drive or would I have to buy something extra with the computer?

1TB= 1000Gb = 1,000,000Mb

roughly speaking anyway

once you get addons in there it grows pretty fast, my fsx dir is around 300Gb

you should have plenty of room if you just install to the the D: drive, you probably don't need anything extra for now.

cheers,-andy crosby

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, callegro said:

Hard Drive

1TB SATA-III 7200RPM

That is what I have on my hard drive...does 1TB equate to 120GB+whatever is on the D drive? Do you think I would be okay with moving everything to the D drive or would I have to buy something extra with the computer?

Rather than just "move" the installation,  which can lead to a number of issues, you'd be safer to reiatall to the D: drive. Idealy though, you'd get much, much better results with an abother SSD

.....and if I got another SSD, is that an internal or external thing? Do you recommend one in particular pertaining to my specs?

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, callegro said:

.....and if I got another SSD, is that an internal or external thing? Do you recommend one in particular pertaining to my specs?

get a 1TB internal SSD. Do not get an external drive for FS/Sim stuff - you will have big issues. 500GB SSD minimum, that should last a while with P3D.

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

6 minutes ago, remymerm said:

get a 1TB internal SSD. Do not get an external drive for FS/Sim stuff - you will have big issues. 500GB SSD minimum, that should last a while with P3D.

So I am a little confused...here are my specs to my new rig:

Specifications

Brand

iBUYPOWER

Type

Gaming Desktop

Form Factor

FULL ATX Tower

Chassis

NZXT Phantom 240 White w/ Smart Lighting

Processor

i7-7700K

Processor Socket

LGA 1151

Processor Main Features

Intel Kabylake Architecture

Cache Memory

8MB L3 Cache

Cooling

550LC 120mm Liquid Cooler

Motherboard

Z270

Expansion Bays Total

2 x 2.5" & 6 x 3.5" Internal Bays; No External

Expansion Slots Total

Interfaces

RAM

16GB DDR4

Storage Controller

N/A

Hard Drive

1TB SATA-III 7200RPM

Graphics

GTX1070

Video Memory

8GB

Digital Video Standard

HDMI/ DVI-D/ RGB Ports

Power Supply

600 Watts

Audio Output

ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio Codec

Networking

802.11 AC

Front Ports

2 x USB 2.0

2 x USB 3.0

Audio Ports

Rear Panel I/O

PS/2 KB & Mouse

DVI-D

D-Sub

HDMI

LAN

USB 3.1; USB 2.0; Audio

Accessories Included

1- Smart Lighting Controller

1 - USB Keyboard

1 - USB Mouse

1 - Quick Start Guide

1 - OS Reinstallation Disc

1 - Power Cord 

1 - Drivers Installation CDs

Operating System Provided

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Manufacturer Warranty

1-Year Part/Labor

Country of Origin

US

Don't I already have 1TB hard drive? Its just SATA...

• Upvote 1

You can put P3D on the SATA, no problem, but you will get much better performance/speed with an SSD. Up to you though.

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

15 minutes ago, remymerm said:

You can put P3D on the SATA, no problem, but you will get much better performance/speed with an SSD. Up to you though.

Do you have a recommendation on the type of hard drive? Or does it not matter on the brands...

3 minutes ago, callegro said:

Do you have a recommendation on the type of hard drive? Or does it not matter on the brands...

If you can spend, the Samsung EVO960 is the best one out there. The samsung 850 EVO is also great, about 90$ USD

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

5 minutes ago, remymerm said:

If you can spend, the Samsung EVO960 is the best one out there. The samsung 850 EVO is also great, about 90$ USD

The Samsung EVO850 is selling at best buy for $350? Is that the right one?

Sorry, the 250GB one is the one thats 90$. My mistake. Look on amazon its cheaper. 1TB is 275$, 500GB about half that.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=samsung+evo+850

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

To keep it simple: Use C:\  just for the OS, if possible. A second SSD (500GB minimum) is perfect for the sim along with add-ons. The 1TB spinner can be used for anything else such as storage for images, video, music, documents etc. 

One last suggestion: Get an external drive(s) and back-up your C: drive and Flightsim drive regularly.

Cheers!

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

If you can afford it, this is what I would do;

Get a small 250G SSd and a larger 500 - 1TB SSD

Clone the OS off your current C: drive hd to the smaller SSD - keep that as your OS drive C:

Wipe the 1TB HDD and name it programs & Data

Install your sim to the larger SSD

Any new programs get installed to the HDD - new addons - depending on how they are used can go on the HDD OR SDD.

For example, a program like GEX has a large install footprint but it just copies files to the P3D sim folder - so you could install it on the HDD and save space on the SDD.

Doing it this way will give you faster startup of the OS and smoother running of the sim. Other programs like Active Sky,etc don't need to be on the SSD

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors