Sign in to follow this  
Mitch24

P3D Horrible Snow Effect

I love P3D but what is the deal with this??? So horrible...

Capture.jpg

Anyone have a remedy? 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

...or ENVTEX

https://togapjcts.wixsite.com/toga/envtex

Special effects

New special effects including contrails, wingtip vortices, dirt effect, touchdown effect leaving tire markings, hard braking effect, water spray for seaplanes, wheel spray effects, engine jet wash under rainy and snowy conditions and much more

Wonderful Northern and Southern lights / Aurora Borealis and Australis (P3Dv3 exclusive feature)

Natural weather effects including rain and snow optimized for

New thunderstorm lightning and flashing effects

WAT1460.png

Unfortunatelly none of these slow the precipitation. So the snow falls down with a speed of heavy rain or hail...

Unfortunately, many issues from the old FSX days still remain in P3D. Along with those issues with snowy runways, but as soon as you leave the runway the taxiways and apron shows no sign of snow at all. I have reported this myself to LM, but it's amazing to see that this long standing FSX issue is still not fixed now in P3D version 4.1.

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

1 hour ago, KrisJ said:

Unfortunatelly none of these slow the precipitation. So the snow falls down with a speed of heavy rain or hail...

I guess it depends on weather reported. I have seen the snow falling as slow as RW and as fast as RW.

WAT1460.png

4 hours ago, vcarlo said:

...or ENVTEX

https://togapjcts.wixsite.com/toga/envtex

Special effects

New special effects including contrails, wingtip vortices, dirt effect, touchdown effect leaving tire markings, hard braking effect, water spray for seaplanes, wheel spray effects, engine jet wash under rainy and snowy conditions and much more

Wonderful Northern and Southern lights / Aurora Borealis and Australis (P3Dv3 exclusive feature)

Natural weather effects including rain and snow optimized for

New thunderstorm lightning and flashing effects

Wow. Need to check this out.

Thanks for the post ... I've totally forgotten that I own precip fx

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

21 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Thanks for the post ... I've totally forgotten that I own precip fx

Just run it again for P3D v4 and it

will install effects for any new addons - I run mine every once ina  while 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3rd party can handle most of the issues brought up ... including snow on Taxi-ways, the SDK would allow for it ... several 3rd party airport provides snow and even snow drifts blowing across the runway/taxi/parking spots based on weather conditions.

You need to keep in mind, many FX/features that could be implement were not implemented by 3rd party because of memory limitation of 32bit address space.  Now that P3D V4 is 64bit with no such restrictions, give 3rd party time to catch up and expand their horizons and hopefully not chain themselves to FSX LCD.

As far as the original pic post, I kinda like the way the spray is drifting in the direction of the wind ... perhaps a little too much spray density but there are several 3rd party tools to adjust this or you can make your own modifications.  LM tend to shy away from doing the actual FX's, but do provide the necessary underlying SDK tools to allow 3rd party (or anyone that wants to dig into the SDK) to enhance and take it to the next step or to their liking.

Cheers, Rob.

14 hours ago, KrisJ said:

So the snow falls down with a speed of heavy rain or hail...

I remember seeing snow fall last week while I was flying in Norway with Active Sky real time weather and it fell quite nicely when I was standing at the gate, just as gently as snow is supposed to fall. Do you have the new precipitation of P3D v4 turned ON? It makes a world of difference imho. At least it is WAY better than the default (old FSX) precipitation. I own PrecipitFX but don't even use it anymore because of this new v4 option.

JvE, i am using P3Dv3.4. If the only way to achive this effect realistic is to move to v4 i guess i have No choice...

27 minutes ago, KrisJ said:

JvE, i am using P3Dv3.4. If the only way to achive this effect realistic is to move to v4 i guess i have No choice...

Or get PrecipitFX or (apparently) ENVTEX... And I can't guarantee you will like the new v4 precipitation effects, of course. But apart from all that: v4's 64 bit is worth the upgrade alone already. 

I have PreciptX and it does not modify speed of snow precipitation.

There are some great addons that stop me from moving to 64bit. One of them is Project Tupolev Tu154B2 another is AN-24 portover from Xplane.