Mitch24

P3D Horrible Snow Effect

Recommended Posts

I love P3D but what is the deal with this??? So horrible...

Capture.jpg

 

Anyone have a remedy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

3 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

...or ENVTEX

https://togapjcts.wixsite.com/toga/envtex

Special effects

New special effects including contrails, wingtip vortices, dirt effect, touchdown effect leaving tire markings, hard braking effect, water spray for seaplanes, wheel spray effects, engine jet wash under rainy and snowy conditions and much more

Wonderful Northern and Southern lights / Aurora Borealis and Australis (P3Dv3 exclusive feature)

Natural weather effects including rain and snow optimized for

New thunderstorm lightning and flashing effects

Share this post


Link to post

Unfortunatelly none of these slow the precipitation. So the snow falls down with a speed of heavy rain or hail...

Share this post


Link to post

Unfortunately, many issues from the old FSX days still remain in P3D. Along with those issues with snowy runways, but as soon as you leave the runway the taxiways and apron shows no sign of snow at all. I have reported this myself to LM, but it's amazing to see that this long standing FSX issue is still not fixed now in P3D version 4.1.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, KrisJ said:

Unfortunatelly none of these slow the precipitation. So the snow falls down with a speed of heavy rain or hail...

I guess it depends on weather reported. I have seen the snow falling as slow as RW and as fast as RW.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you guys I will try the suggestions

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, vcarlo said:

...or ENVTEX

https://togapjcts.wixsite.com/toga/envtex

Special effects

New special effects including contrails, wingtip vortices, dirt effect, touchdown effect leaving tire markings, hard braking effect, water spray for seaplanes, wheel spray effects, engine jet wash under rainy and snowy conditions and much more

Wonderful Northern and Southern lights / Aurora Borealis and Australis (P3Dv3 exclusive feature)

Natural weather effects including rain and snow optimized for

New thunderstorm lightning and flashing effects

Wow. Need to check this out.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the post ... I've totally forgotten that I own precip fx

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Thanks for the post ... I've totally forgotten that I own precip fx

Just run it again for P3D v4 and it

will install effects for any new addons - I run mine every once ina  while 

Share this post


Link to post

3rd party can handle most of the issues brought up ... including snow on Taxi-ways, the SDK would allow for it ... several 3rd party airport provides snow and even snow drifts blowing across the runway/taxi/parking spots based on weather conditions.

You need to keep in mind, many FX/features that could be implement were not implemented by 3rd party because of memory limitation of 32bit address space.  Now that P3D V4 is 64bit with no such restrictions, give 3rd party time to catch up and expand their horizons and hopefully not chain themselves to FSX LCD.

As far as the original pic post, I kinda like the way the spray is drifting in the direction of the wind ... perhaps a little too much spray density but there are several 3rd party tools to adjust this or you can make your own modifications.  LM tend to shy away from doing the actual FX's, but do provide the necessary underlying SDK tools to allow 3rd party (or anyone that wants to dig into the SDK) to enhance and take it to the next step or to their liking.

Cheers, Rob.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, KrisJ said:

So the snow falls down with a speed of heavy rain or hail...

I remember seeing snow fall last week while I was flying in Norway with Active Sky real time weather and it fell quite nicely when I was standing at the gate, just as gently as snow is supposed to fall. Do you have the new precipitation of P3D v4 turned ON? It makes a world of difference imho. At least it is WAY better than the default (old FSX) precipitation. I own PrecipitFX but don't even use it anymore because of this new v4 option.

Share this post


Link to post

JvE, i am using P3Dv3.4. If the only way to achive this effect realistic is to move to v4 i guess i have No choice...

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, KrisJ said:

JvE, i am using P3Dv3.4. If the only way to achive this effect realistic is to move to v4 i guess i have No choice...

Or get PrecipitFX or (apparently) ENVTEX... And I can't guarantee you will like the new v4 precipitation effects, of course. But apart from all that: v4's 64 bit is worth the upgrade alone already. 

Share this post


Link to post

I have PreciptX and it does not modify speed of snow precipitation.

There are some great addons that stop me from moving to 64bit. One of them is Project Tupolev Tu154B2 another is AN-24 portover from Xplane.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, KrisJ said:

I have PreciptX and it does not modify speed of snow precipitation.

Snow precipitation is well animated in V4 using PrecipitFX.  It looks highly realistic. 

 

1 hour ago, KrisJ said:

I have PreciptX and it does not modify speed of snow precipitation.

There are some great addons that stop me from moving to 64bit. One of them is Project Tupolev Tu154B2 another is AN-24 portover from Xplane.

You don't necessarily have to give up any other platform.  Use them side by side.

Share this post


Link to post

Been flying around in snow storms with version 3.4 and PrecipitFX for the last couple of weeks. Looks pretty good to me. 

Share this post


Link to post

Textures looks good. Agree. Do you have slow „winter wonderand” precipitation when you seat on the ramp? FSFX official reply says their product does not modify the speed of precipitation. 

Share this post


Link to post

How does PrecipFX help with the runway effect in my Original post? I can't find anything for the effect.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Mitch24 said:

How does PrecipFX help with the runway effect in my Original post? I can't find anything for the effect.

Your original post shows "WHEELS SPRAY".  You need to activate and apply this option in your PrecipFX menu ?
 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now