Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

How to add real-time scanning exclusions only in Windows Defender

After using Avast for a long time I thought I would try Windows Defender out.

One newbie question - how do I add exclusions for real-time scanning only or isn't this possible in Windows Defender?

I don't want any scanning of my P3D files and folders in real-time but when performing a manual or scheduled scan I do want all files and folders scanned.

Or maybe the footprint using Windows Defender is small enough not having to worry about performance issues even with real-time scanning enabled for all files and folders?

Richard Åsberg

Just open Defender, select Virus and Thread Protection from the left column.  Then choose Virus and Threat Protection Settings.  Then scroll down until you find Exclusions.  You can then exclude files, folders, processes, or even file type.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

23 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Just open Defender, select Virus and Thread Protection from the left column.  Then choose Virus and Threat Protection Settings.  Then scroll down until you find Exclusions.  You can then exclude files, folders, processes, or even file type.

But won't that also exclude the selected files and folders when performing a manual or scheduled scan?

Richard Åsberg

I only have one folder excluded on my system, and the remainder are single files.  And the extent of all of that is one folder and three separate and unrelated files.  Defender, or any other antivirus program, will ignore what you exclude, so use diligence.  In this case the file is a known false-positive.

There is a process where the creator, or even user of a falsely identified file can submit it with a request to have it added to a global database of excluded files that virtually every AV program taps into.  I got involved in that process with a different sim-related file about three years ago but my trail is cold so to speak as to what all I had to do.  And even then it took some time for the exclusion to be reviewed and added.  I believe it had to do with the F1 GTN gauge back then but today as I write this I am not certain of that.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

But won't that also exclude the selected files and folders when performing a manual or scheduled scan?

Good question.

I believe you can initiate a manual scan and at that point, choose either Full or Quick Scan. I'm guessing full scan is just that: full.

I'm usually wrong though.

However, real-time scan is not quite the same. As you know, real-time scanning sits between disk read/write requests and scans each and every one. Thus, the problem with flight simulation and real-time scanning. This scanning can also interfere with installation scripts.

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Found some information about exclusions in Windows Defender and learned such will affect all scanning methods which is a shame.

Wish there was a way to make exclusions affecting only real-time scanning.

Richard Åsberg