Sign in to follow this  
PaulGR

Track Line

I might be the biggest noob here but this is the first time that it happened.

Normally when I fly the magenta line always points to the top (I added the yellow line to demonstrate what I am talking about) but all of a sudden during a flight today the whole thing shifted to the left. Also same thing on left screen.
I attached a screenshot. I have no idea how and why. I'm reading the FCOM but can't find any info.
Could somebody explain to me what happened?
Thx!

XxtmNQT.jpg

• Upvote 1

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

You are flying with "heading up" indicated and 154 knot crosswind. If you change to "track up," should be on the magenta line. 

Jim Erwin

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Jim Erwin said:

You are flying with "heading up" indicated and 154 knot crosswind. If you change to "track up," should be on the magenta line. 

Jim Erwin

Thank you. It fixed the issue. I'm wondering though how did it switch by itself mid flight.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

5 hours ago, PaulGR said:

Thank you. It fixed the issue. I'm wondering though how did it switch by itself mid flight.

Can't change in mid flight unless you chnaged it your self. The other possibility is that the livery you are using it has it enabled by default and you did not notice because the wind was such that was not apparent.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

11 hours ago, PaulGR said:

I'm with Chris. My bet is that you were simply used to a different livery/operator, and only noticed that this one was different mid-flight.

It's not an issue. It's a feature. Literally.

Make sure to read the Intro Manual.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

BAW likes to fly like this, figures since they also drive on the wrong side of the road ;)

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

6 minutes ago, downscc said:

BAW likes to fly like this, figures since they also drive on the wrong side of the road ;)

For an American who uses feet, yards, inches to calculate around the corner this is quite a big talk :biggrin:

(just kidding of course :P)

8 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

For an American who uses feet, yards, inches to calculate around the corner this is quite a big talk :biggrin:

(just kidding of course :P)

Haha okay.. but Marc, we got those units from the British!!! I agree with the substantive, it is insane that our clients require engineering deliverables with pound/foot/sec units when every engineer I know is comfortable and often prefers metric units.

I still get a queasy feeling every time I see an ND display with heading up instead of track up... it ain't right.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

4 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

I'm with Chris. My bet is that you were simply used to a different livery/operator, and only noticed that this one was different mid-flight.

It's not an issue. It's a feature. Literally.

Make sure to read the Intro Manual.

It is the only livery I fly. Literally. I have a Cargolux livery installed but I didn't load this plane even once yet.
I didn't change a thing. It simply happened mid flight between RJAA and VHHH which is why it confused me so much.
I read the manual and I'm browsing FCOM on a frequent basis.

The only thing I did "out of sim" was to change aircraft.cfg file so I can see "Splashes In Daylight". I was notified by customer support (PMDG ticket) that the reason it can't be activated in sim is because there are some issues with it at this point. Works like a charm for me though and I can't fly without it as most my flight start/end very early dawn/dusk. Kills immersion not having them on :)

• Upvote 1

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

3 hours ago, downscc said:

I still get a queasy feeling every time I see an ND display with heading up instead of track up... it ain't right.

:laugh:. Like most things, all depends on what you're used to - but I'd far rather have my instruments aligned with the aircraft axis!

Now I know something is up.
On today's flight all my callous under 500 were silent even though they are all set up as ON.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Are you starting with a scenario you previously saved or creating new scenarios with the PMDG default loaded state (engines running)?  This sounds like it could be a panel state corruption or more likely something wrong with the aircraft .ini file.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Are you starting with a scenario you previously saved or creating new scenarios with the PMDG default loaded state (engines running)?  This sounds like it could be a panel state corruption or more likely something wrong with the aircraft .ini file.

COLDDARK and everything from scratch. Starting with Default Trike each and every time.

• Upvote 1

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Create a new CD panel state.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 1/31/2018 at 5:24 PM, downscc said:

Dan, although I agree with Simon, I suppose it all depends on which side of the pond you live on!

Apparently there's an historical significance to driving on the left-hand side of the road which goes way back in time; long before Henry Ford or Mr Rolls and Mr Royce.  Most people are right handed and in medieval times ye old bold Knights would pass each other on horseback and keep to the left,  This would ensure their sword hand was free - just in case they needed to use it!  

HDG UP is probably a more logical way to use the MAP display too, because the nose of the aircraft will be pointing in exactly the same direction as the HDG indication.  The TRK line will then show you the direction the aircraft is tracking relative to the nose of the aircraft and this is really helpful when assessing drift on the approach as well as knowing exactly where to look for the runway prior to going visual during a limiting approach.  Like driving on the right, TRK UP does have some merits, although it probably has more to do with what you are used to.

Bertie Goddard