Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Is P3D V 4.2 release imminent?

I can't wait for a bunch of new and exciting SimDirector features :gaul: that would make everyone to google 'SimDirector' again :happy:.

But on the serious note - I am really happy that Prepar3D is progressing. Maybe it is slow, but in the end we already got lots of pretty nice improvements (and 64bit!). I wouldn't be suprised if they were already working on Vulcan integration and we would get it at some update without prior notice. The two other major flight sims (DCS, XP11) have scheduled Vulcan for this year, so who knows?...

In the mean time... I'm going back to blow up stuff in DCS 2.5 :biggrin:.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

I really hope that LM fixes the most apparent and annoying drawbacks in P3D with 4.2:

- appearing / disappearing cloud shadows depending on the viewing angle

- performance drop using dynamic lighting in combination with SSAA

- limitation of the number of addons when using the add-on.xml method.

Also precipitation (rain) looks horrible but can be improved using 3rd party addons such as ENVTEX or PRECIPITFX.

Cheers,

Chris

• Upvote 3

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

3 hours ago, roarkr said:

What is the main issues that are going to be in this 4.2 release?

Let's have a competition here.

The winner will be named the "P3Dv4.2 wizard"

Updated database please! Up to date ICAO codes...

• Upvote 4

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

20 minutes ago, AnkH said:

The best or the most performant? Personally, I do like those screenshots and videos from AF2, the lighting is nice, the sim runs superb regarding FPS and such. One monster-drawback it has: there is no water rendering.

Water is still not convincing. AeroflyFS2 no doubt lacks important features like moving objects (AI planes, cars) in most areas, but the recent ORBX sceneries show what's possible. Anyway, the lighting and landscape and the overall feeling because of the fluidity (120 fps locked at ORBX Eagle County and Denver) are outstanding, in my mind.

I'll not elaborate on this further here as it's clearly OT, though.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

16 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

Did you look at this? :

http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

Does this only correct the ILS and navaids and stuff or the modified visual runways (demolished, new built etc. since 2005), too?

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

44 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

Did you look at this? :

http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

Yes. I use fsAerodata and Navigraph but was hoping the default P3d would be updated. Reason: Some 3rd party AI traffic developers use out of date flight plans for my area therefore aircraft don't spawn at major airports..they do this to match the default database..so these applications don't work for those with up to date simulators unless complicated modifications are performed..I just believe P3d should be up to date "out of the box"...not complaining...still a fantastic sim!

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Hi Folks,

Water physics - so seaplanes actually behave like seaplanes - that sticky goo junk we've lived with for decades - HAS TO GO...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 3

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

48 minutes ago, pmb said:

Does this only correct the ILS and navaids and stuff or the modified visual runways (demolished, new built etc. since 2005), too?

Corrects Navaids, frequencies etc only. You'd need a new AFCAD (or payware scenery) to update for new runways etc.

18 minutes ago, Peter Webber said:

Some 3rd party AI traffic developers use out of date flight plans for my area therefore aircraft don't spawn at major airports..they do this to match the default database..so these applications don't work for those with up to date simulators unless complicated modifications are performed..

I guess you are talking about UTLive. Patience, please. As soon as the PowerPack is released, this "issue" can be corrected with only little effort.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

You guys are scaring the 7734 out of me. I just bought P3D4 Saturday and have been installing since then. Had to do a repurchase upgrade on weather engine and have been anxiously mulling over which aircraft to buy. I got the impression P3D was the greatest thing since sliced bread now I read another upgrade. Will it require a complete uninstall reinstall? Will it cost another 200 bucks? Will PMDG want another $130 a whack to replace their planes in V4.2? Wandering if my step up is costing more time, aggravation and money then it's really worth. I don't plan on uninstalling FSX anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

Hi Vic,

Once you get your rig squared away - it shouldn't be bad - usually within a major release you can get away with just updating the components which only takes a few minutes and is free... A major release is version 3 or version 4 - - - the minor releases are version 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 etc etc etc... While I'm no fan of PMDG's pricing policy - I don't think they charge you extra within a minor release...

Once you get setup - I think you'll quickly find FSX kind of looses its luster...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 2

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

8 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

You guys are scaring the 7734 out of me. I just bought P3D4 Saturday and have been installing since then. Had to do a repurchase upgrade on weather engine and have been anxiously mulling over which aircraft to buy. I got the impression P3D was the greatest thing since sliced bread now I read another upgrade. Will it require a complete uninstall reinstall? Will it cost another 200 bucks? Will PMDG want another $130 a whack to replace their planes in V4.2? Wandering if my step up is costing more time, aggravation and money then it's really worth. I don't plan on uninstalling FSX anytime soon.

Don't worry. You'll only have to invest more money for P3Dv5 (if we get there).

You've only wasted time since you'll have to reinstall some software that will have to be made compatible with the new point release.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Patco,

Relax:

1) Minor P3D upgrades are for free (4.0 to 4.1, 4.2, etc.) where major are not (V2 to V3, V4, V5, etc).

2) Most 3rd party developers will not charge full amount again for minor adjustments for 4.2

3) You can upgrade on top of 4.1 so no need to fully re-install.

4) You can upgrade when you feel you are ready, so it is not mandatory.

5) If you follow my forums I normally release reports of the implications of P3D minor upgrades and the impact with the most important / most used 3rd party add-on's, also I normally report when 3rd party applications release patches to be compatible with the updated version.

Regards,
Simbol

• Upvote 5