Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Is P3D V 4.2 release imminent?

4 minutes ago, simmerhead said:

LM don't seem intetested in making major changes to the platform, 

Can we really say that?  We have no idea what their roadmap is.    As far as I recall, they always said their first order of priority was to make P3D stable under 64 bit and build out functionality for developers before making any further significant  feature enhancements.

If they make things better for developers, wouldn't you guys agree that will also make things better for us users since we'll be the group of people enjoying what the developers come up with using any improved SDKs etc?

• Upvote 2

Richard Åsberg

Of the future I know nothing... I can only suppose based on past merits. Compare P3D v1 -> v4 with FS2002 ->  MS Flight. LM does things slowly,  and they get away with it because they're not part of the entertainment industry. Microsoft really managed to make huge leaps for each version of the sim. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

1 minute ago, WebMaximus said:

If they make things better for developers, wouldn't you guys agree that will also make things better for us users since we'll be the group of people enjoying what the developers come up with using any improved SDKs etc?

That's exactly the point.

1 minute ago, simmerhead said:

and they get away with it because they're not part of the entertainment industry

I don't think 'getting away with it' is fair either - which implies they've done something wrong.  They have other priorities in their development of the platform other than visual feature enhancements for the likes of us.  

FS2002 --> FSX -->> MSFlight made huge visual leaps with each new version of the platform while everything under the surface was crippled, inefficient and held together with duck tape.  It's taken LM this long to fix all of that AND convert to a 64 bit platform.     In my opinion, it is MASSIVELY improved from what it was.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I don't think 'getting away with it' is fair either - which implies they've done something wrong.  They have other priorities in their development of the platform other than visual feature enhancements for the likes of us.  

FS2002 --> FSX -->> MSFlight made huge visual leaps with each new version of the platform while everything under the surface was crippled, inefficient and held together with duck tape.  It's taken LM this long to fix all of that AND convert to a 64 bit platform.     In my opinion, it is MASSIVELY improved from what it was.

As I said originally, it has never been better, still apart from improved performance, things don't look and feel that much different from the original FSX release. I don't consider optimizing the engine and fixing bugs massive (although I'm sure it was a "massive" undertaking).

Massiv in my book would be things like completely new systems for landclass, autogen, AI traffic, airports, ATC, weather engine, flight model, etc.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Stabilizing the platform and making things more Dev friendly may in fact be a huuuuge release for us simmers. With all the info not released then we may not recognize a great deal when we see it! It is OK if you want to move to the edge of the roof top and Opine but don't jump off yet.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

All they got to do is fix dynamic lighting, who cares about cloud draws and rain drops.  

Secondly id rather they spent the time working with developers in the same room for a month to iron issues then spend 6 weeks working on rain drops and bloody shadows. 

Finally all the developers have to fully test their products with 2 products, that's all 2.  Orbx Vector and GSX.  It really is that simple.  Otherwise xplane is going to take up quite a bit of thier flight school and civilian Market. 

The military will also go for the defence contracter (Google the scene in the film Jfk with Costner and X played by kieffer Dither land) 

• Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

19 minutes ago, tooting said:

All they got to do is fix dynamic lighting, who cares about cloud draws and rain drops.  

Secondly id rather they spent the time working with developers in the same room for a month to iron issues then spend 6 weeks working on rain drops and bloody shadows. 

Finally all the developers have to fully test their products with 2 products, that's all 2.  Orbx Vector and GSX.  It really is that simple.  Otherwise xplane is going to take up quite a bit of thier flight school and civilian Market. 

The military will also go for the defence contracter (Google the scene in the film Jfk with Costner and X played by kieffer Dither land) 

Hahaha ... that is what you want as a Orbx Vector and GSX user.

Good raindrops adds basic realism . Shadows too. This belongs to the minimum of a good Flightsim.

Dyn Lighting : hopefully they can make it less taxing but it also depends on your graphics card. I have it enabled all the time and icw with every airport that has it. I had to finetune it with PTA to avoid too much bloom/brightness.

And what is really important : more core 0 threads to the other threads to improve further performance...

:cool:

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Gsx and Vector surely are in the top 5 addons bought along with fsuipc and activesky and maybe rex

It's common bloody sense to have your scenery work for gsx and Vector, alot of simmers have them.   The other 3 play no part in scenery. 

I swear developers lack basic product usp , and  customer service skills/knowledge 

When I'm installing scenery and I see a tick Box saying 'do you have vector installed'. I think 'this guy made an effort here, that's professional' 

When I pull up at a new airport scenery and find theres no large stand for my 747 or I can't push back onto a taxiway because the afcad is rubbish , I think to myself 'why can't this muppet take a few hours to check the afcad'. 

Then when the 2 developers release another product which one do you think I'll buy??? 

Which product do think I'll tell 5 friends is good? And which product do you think I'll tell 10 people is a bag of 💩 

It's not rocket science is it

• Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

How we know it is imminent ?LM had announced version 4.1 at least a week before releasing it, so I guess when its imminent we will know from LM.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

2 minutes ago, simbol said:

Ground Services X, you need this!!! is amazing!.

Simbol

Yeah, brain fart, I already have it.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

I'm happy with P3D as it is-anything else is icing on the cake.

Not so long ago I was using a 32 bit sim and watching my VAS monitors every second and dreading the fateful OOM on final approach after a long flight.

Now I know I can fly from A to B with as many of my addons running and be able to exit the sim by myself at the end with a smile on my face.

• Upvote 1