Sign in to follow this  
787WannabePilot

On average, how much time do you take to get into the air?

I am averaging about 30 minutes... with 20 of it getting the plane set up. I am thinking of re-setting my startup panel to skip a few steps. 

What about yourself?

About 15-20 minutes...That is route planning, acft configuration, weather check, etc..

Jon Richardson

Raleigh, NC

I'd say 20-25 minutes. 5 or so to get everything into and out of PFPX and get the sim loaded, another 5 or so getting the aircraft setup at the gate, and then 10 or so taxing depending on the airport and gate I happen to start at.

I'm 11 minutes after takeoff on an ATL-LAX flight, and I'd say it's been about 30 minutes since I sat down at my computer and opened PFPX.

49 minutes ago, 787WannabePilot said:

I am averaging about 30 minutes... with 20 of it getting the plane set up. I am thinking of re-setting my startup panel to skip a few steps. 

What about yourself?

Same here but I don't think I'll skip any steps.  Mostly fly the A2A Connie with auto start.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

I usually launch the sim about 20-30 minutes before the TOBT. All flight preparation done before starting the sim, so I load the aircraft, preflight 10-15min, last minute check of the weather and rwy and departure in use, then wait for the pax, luggage and fuel loading to be completed before pushing backing.

• Upvote 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I take about 40-50 minutes but I am never in any type of grand rush because I fly mine as a BBJ (Boeing Business Jet). So for me it is just a leisurely set up from cold and dark to get flying through the skies in luxury. I always start mine from cold and dark panel state, shut it down to cold steel at the end of every flight, and take my time to go through the whole checklist flow. For me I think it is all down to personal preference. If you are simulating commercial airline pilot stuff I would think the vast majority of the time you are walking on to a fully booted up flight deck with the APU started and just the main engines shut down so I would think you would be out a good bit faster than me. I just love the depth of simulation on the NGX, J4100, and MD-11X. Going through the checklists is always fun, and I love on the MD-11X letting it fuel in real time. That usually sets me back an hour to get in the air if I don't fuel it before shut down.

• Upvote 1

Most of the flights I do last 1-2 hours but are filled with various maneuvers and a lot of hand flying. Not uncommon to spend 30-45 minutes, prior to the "walk" time, checking weather, checking VATSIM/PE, fuel calcs, making a radio card, reviewing the plan for the flight (maneuvers, goals, etc.). Generally, will make a "crib sheet". 

Starting the aircraft, getting set up in the cockpit, ATC....about 10-15 minutes. In total, about an hour before each flight. 

Very nice question, some times what drives me away from airliners is the time, until i have all setup with flight plans, check lists, boarding passengers, cargo, refueling,etc etc  1 hour goes down to the drain :) in GA in 20 minutes im on the air, but i like both!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

No more than 15 minutes from the moment the plane loads at the gate with cold and dark state.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

With lots of long-hauls at the moment I spend anywhere between 1 and 3 hours planning, depending on the various complexities along the route, then about half an hour in the aircraft until off blocks.  Then 14 hours in the air!  Love the 747!

• Upvote 1

Twice now with my new FSL Airbus I haven't had time to complete the flight, but I have a small time window on weeknights. My guess is 45-60 minutes to get in the air, but I'm not into the groove of tubeliners yet, and I'm just really starting the learn the Airbus so hopefully I'll speed up. For me though, with the high-end complex add-ons, all time in the cockpit is quality time. :smile:

More realistically, I think I'll end up flying bush/GA weeknights and leave the tubeliners for the weekend.

2 hours ago, VHOJT said:

With lots of long-hauls at the moment I spend anywhere between 1 and 3 hours planning, depending on the various complexities along the route, then about half an hour in the aircraft until off blocks.  Then 14 hours in the air!  Love the 747!

Curious. Is that 14 hours on time compress or real time?

Vic green

I try to limit pre-flight to 30 minutes (mostly with PMDG A/C, but also the FSLABS A320): Any more time than that, I get antsy to get going.  So, if fly any freeware, I usually get in the air ASAP. 

But, I think the time we spend on virtual flying should be our little secret:  I sometimes try to tell a non-simmer about my little hobby.  But I don't tell them how much time I actually spend on both prep and actually flying time, least they think I'm off my rocker...  But, I first started with MS FS1 in 1985, now with FSX, and I still love this hobby! 

No more than ten minutes (unless I have to wait for departing or arriving AI planes). I always "initialise all systems", input the flightplan and other settings in the FMC, and then save the flight for another day.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm in the ~30 minute range as well.  Starting with using Flightaware to decide on the city pairs and specific airline/flt number, then PFPX to create the flight plan.  Once in P3D, PMDG aircraft is loaded in turn-around state, run through preflight, then using GSX for pushback.  So, yea, about 30 minutes in planning/prep for each flight.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64