Sign in to follow this  
787WannabePilot

On average, how much time do you take to get into the air?

I try to be under 15 as well.
When I use GSX it gets little longer.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

I usually fly online with Ivao.

Depending of the available controllers and the amount of traffic i have between 45' and 1 hour, from starting the PC to get airborne.

Airline flights take longer of course.  Route planning, FMC loading,  weather briefing, aircraft loading and startup from cold and dark, and sometimes long taxis.

GA VFR flights don't take as long to get off the ground, even from cold and dark state.  I do these when my sim time is limited.

I enjoy them both!

JOHN

Using GSX and FS2Crew it's anywhere between 30 mins - 60 mins, including planning and programming.  When using Airhauler 2 and the PA-24 I can be in the air in around 10 mins.

Ian R Tyldesley

30 minutes or so with Boeings. Including flightaware to get the route, doing all required (that I know of and available in the sim) pre flight checks, waiting for GSX, etc... Sometimes I feel like I'm going too fast and I'm missing something  basic that a real airline flight crew would need to do. For the FSLabs it takes me a bit longer as I double check everything during flight deck preparation as I'm not familiar with the A320.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

I load a previously saved scenario, or create a new one, with the aircraft at the gate on ground air/power and I'm arriving to take the next segment.  ASP4 is locked to simulator time, and sending the appropriate wx to PFPX.  I set the date/time to 30 min before the scheduled departure and use that time to run a PFPX plan, load fuel, preflight to include FMS and then load payload.  On short domestic trips I might be ready in 15 but on fictional long hauls (yesterday I did a GTI KIAH EGLL off tracks since I was going East during the daytime) the route selection may add 10 min to the turn time.

Dan Downs KCRP

Less than one minute with Aerofly FS 2!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

NGX, FSLA320: 30 min which includes PFPX, Topcat, weather review, cockpit prep and startup.

Dc10, L1011 or anything where i need to calculate take off performance card by my self and program INS: 40-50 min.

2 hours ago, edpatino said:

Less than one minute with Aerofly FS 2!.

Cheers, Ed

haha Ed.... you remind me of a plane owner I used to fly with.  He wanted to sit down, start engines and taxi out and was annoyed when he had to wait on departure clearance.\

Even when I was flying the C-414 on a weekly milkrun between Dallas KRBD and Corpus KCRP (Track 002 at 16500 going and 182 17500 coming home as long as it was VMC) it would take 30 min to order fuel, check WX and preflight the airplane.

Dan Downs KCRP

Anywhere from 2 hours to 2 seconds, depends on my mood and what I'm trying to accomplish and how much free time I have.  But for some strange reason I seem to have an eternal quest to increase my flight sim complexity even if I don't use that complexity in 70% of my flying ... I guess I just need to know the complexity is there if I want to "get involved".

I did buy ForeFlight for my PC/iPad/iPhone and have found this to be favorite recent purchase and it'll probably be Product of the year for me (both simulated and real world usage) ... but even with ForeFlight it is as easy as power on and it automatically connects to my current sim (XP11, P3D V4, AF2) ...not sure why ForeFlight hasn't been plugged more for Flight Planning/tracking, fuel planning/tracking, weather planning/tracking, and so much more, even connects to real world traffic.

Interesting topic, I was planning a video on this very topic some months ago titled "Flight Simulation ... as complex as you want it to be" ... basically going over how quickly one can get up and flying to how long it can take to setup and make sure all the add-ons are working in harmony and up to date along with extensive flight planning.

Cheers, Rob.

13 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Curious. Is that 14 hours on time compress or real time?

Uncompressed. I do often sleep overnight while it flies. Or if it's a long day flight I'll have a beer or do some gardening etc

1 minute ago, VHOJT said:

Uncompressed. I do often sleep overnight while it flies. Or if it's a long day flight I'll have a beer or do some gardening etc

That's cool. My wife starts that "is that all you do" look if I spend more then two or three hours on a session.

Vic green

I'm pushing 30 to 45 minutes with planning and setup before pushback. My latest you is fltplan GO on my tablet and virtualCDU too. Fltplan let' me download all the ifr plates for offline use, automatically updates them, and with a tiny server app will breadcrumb my flights.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

14 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Interesting topic, I was planning a video on this very topic some months ago titled "Flight Simulation ... as complex as you want it to be" ... basically going over how quickly one can get up and flying to how long it can take to setup and make sure all the add-ons are working in harmony and up to date along with extensive flight planning.

Hey Rob.  Hope you still plan to put a video together on this.  Would like to see how you incorporate ForeFlight, and what addons might no longer be needed (maybe PFPX, LittleNavMap, etc.).

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

If the wife and kid are around takes me 10-15 min. If i am alone then 20-25.

But depends also if you include time for SimBrief and flight plan download. Topcat and other things. Also depend how long it takes for the GSX fuel truck to arrive.

Assuming SimBrief is already done and Top cat is up and running then from cold and dark to taxing my times are the ones i mention above