Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Are there programming opportunities with aircraft manufacturers or airlines?

I’m switching careers to programming soon and I’m looking outside the box for ideas to look up for. The pay doesn’t matter as long as it meets the average pay for junior programmers. This really is just a curiosity question.

Yes, just look at the job listings on their career sites. Many good opportunities there. I have a friend at a senior level in IT at a major airline.

Also look at the training outfits like Flight Safety International. Lots of programming roles there and room for growth.

4 hours ago, Dragonmount said:

I’m switching careers to programming soon and I’m looking outside the box for ideas to look up for. The pay doesn’t matter as long as it meets the average pay for junior programmers. This really is just a curiosity question.

I used to work as a contract programmer for American Airlines when they were doing their merger with USAirways.  I helped on testing their merger of their crew management systems with USAirways system.  There are opportunities, the best option is to post your resume on LinkedIn, and to try to link with as many of your former colleagues and supervisors there as you can.  Once you are on the radar, so to speak, it is much easier to land opportunities with the employer of your choice.  Also consider opportunities in the hospitality field.  Airline booking and hospitality systems have a lot in common.

John

Retired IT Developer/Application Tester