Sign in to follow this  
Tommy41

Commercial smaller jet or turboprop suggestion

Hello all

Since i got interested lately in smaller passenger jets and turboprops and default planes are just not enough. I have aerosoft twin otter extended wich is my only commercial addon for now. It is good, but i am not too happy with it due to very sensitive engines...kinda alot of micromanagement. So i was thinking to go a bit bigger like crj 700 or embraers..

Important things to me are price, quality and features. I never flew pmdg or alike aircraft so am asking you guys. I am opened to suggestions.

Tommy

Are you making sure to follow proper procedures with the engines? I have the Twin Other extended and I don't have any engine problems. Apart from my first manual start which I messed up and then heard CLANGALANGALANGALANG... :ohmy:

If you like detail in your add-ons the you might consider the Majestic Q400 which works very well in FSX:SE and is logical step up from the Twotter. One thing to bear in mind though is that if you move to P3D v4, you'll have to buy it again. But that's true of all the high-end addons, aprt from the iFly 737, which offers a discount for owners of the FSX version.

I'll second the Majestic Dash Q400. Lovely aircraft to fly. I'll also suggest the Aerosoft CRJ, however, it seems some people are having problems with it tracking a route. Personally I haven't experienced this issue, but I'm sure it will be fixed eventually. Anyway, both of them are really nice to fly, but they both have steep learning curves. If you're up for a challenge then either should work for you.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Tommy,

With respect it would be handy to know which sim platform you are using.

P3Dv4 ... I would very much recommend the Eaglesoft Citation, updated Feelthere  Embraers (135/145/175/195) for reasonable complexity. If you are chasing a large learning experience then go for any PMDG product or IFly product, or Quality Wings Dash 8.  Aerosoft Airbusses due for release shortly and most definitely the Maddog MD. Also consider any Carenado aircraft for low complexity aircraft.

If you are into XPlane 11 then I think any Flight Factor product, the excellent freeware Zibo 737-800 (modified default aircraft) or IXEC 737-200.

Really the world is your oyster.

Enjoy

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I use fsx:se. That is why i added tag..sorry for not mentionning in text. As for prosedures yea i was not following procedures hehe. It was fun and frustrating at same time as i had engine fire and following i had to make one engine emwrgency landing. That was fun. I did consider majestic q400 but for some reason i discarded that idea so i might go with aerosoft crj. I could use a challenge and reason to follow propper procedures. For some reason twotter is making me to be lazy. I will go and do reading on it again untill i get new plane.  As added challenge, i need to take into account very cold weather in ontario where i fly at the moment (arround world trip). Anyway, thanks for tips.

1 hour ago, Tommy41 said:

I use fsx:se. That is why i added tag..sorry for not mentionning in text. As for prosedures yea i was not following procedures hehe. 

One of the things I love about some Aerosoft aircraft is their interactive checklists. They can help you do things right without it taking forever, because you can cheat and right-click the item and the system does it for you. Actually it's not that much of a cheat, because Twin Otters usually come with first officers.

(I've destroyed engines on their Catalina too... :smile:)

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

P3Dv4 ... I would very much recommend the Eaglesoft Citation

As far as i'm aware, the Eaglesoft Citation doesn't work on P3Dv4? I've been banned from their forum so I'm not getting the latest news, but unless there's been a very recent update then it doesn't work on v4.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Neal,

You may be right, however as I do not have this aircraft in P3dv4 as an add on, I am not really sure.  I seem to remember that they have in fact, upgraded but a visit to their forum or website should reveal all..

What on earth have you done to upset them lol??

Cheers mate

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

4 hours ago, Holdit said:

If you like detail in your add-ons the you might consider the Majestic Q400 which works very well in FSX:SE and is logical step up from the Twotter. One thing to bear in mind though is that if you move to P3D v4, you'll have to buy it again.

Not true, you can just pay the price difference between the FSX and P3D 64 bit version, that's what I did. IIRC you have to go to the place you originally bought your Q400 and obtain a discount code (at least that's how it worked at JustFlight, I got a discount code after logging in)

The Majestic Q400 is my favourite airliner for P3D, it runs very smoothly, the depth of simulation is great, it sounds awesome and handles very realistically. The only let down is some of the included tutorials aren't great so it's a little harder to learn than perhaps it could be. I would definitely say it's the one to go for, but here are some others you may wish to consider that all feature reasonable systems depth and FMC:

• feelThere/Wilco ERJ v2 is quite nice and fairly simple to operate compared to most of the other airliners in this list
  • QualityWings BAe 146/Avro RJ
  • PMDG Jetstream 41 is amazing but if you don't like fiddling with engine micromanagement it isn't the aircraft for you.
  • Aerosoft's CRJ has a lot of issues reported on Avsim so probably best avoided at the moment.
  • feelThere/Wilco E-Jets v2 (E175 & E195) is quite dated graphically which puts me off, although systems wise it isn't bad.
  • Flight1 ATR72 is dated graphically (it's an FS9 port) but the systems are very good. I think it has some issues working with Windows 10 and it's unlikely to be ported to P3D.
  • Digital Aviation Fokker 100 is a peach BUT it's another FS9 port AND has no virtual cockpit which kills it for me. A real shame as otherwise it is very likeable.
  • The Aerosoft Airbus Professional line is due out in the coming months, although it's quite a bit bigger than the aircraft discussed above.

Some people here have mentioned Carenado but I find it very hard to recommend anything of theirs given their releases are buggy and the systems depth is barely beyond default aircraft. Some of the business jets like the Phenom are okay, but you will need to get a third party GPS fitted such as the F1 GTN which makes it a very expensive proposition relative to the packages listed above.

• Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

On 2/1/2018 at 8:11 AM, ckyliu said:

Not true, you can just pay the price difference between the FSX and P3D 64 bit version, that's what I did.

I am very happy to stand corrected on that. In fact, you've made my day! :smile:

(Too late to edit my original post....)

Edited by Jim Young
Removed inappropriate word after "original post". Swearing not allowed on AVSIM

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

Neal,

You may be right, however as I do not have this aircraft in P3dv4 as an add on, I am not really sure.  I seem to remember that they have in fact, upgraded but a visit to their forum or website should reveal all..

What on earth have you done to upset them lol??

Cheers mate

Tony

To be fair, it was a mistake that I got banned. A chat with Ron and Ed afterwards confirmed it was accidental. However, they seem to be unable to "unban" me :laugh:. Although I suppose since I moved to v4 it doesn't really matter any more.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

That was interesting conversation. I took twotter for a spin yesterday from Monsoone Canada due west (arround world trip) cos my logic was that their plane with loads of antiice would be perfect for -20, snow and 20+ kts headwind...o boy were i wrong...damn thing just kept icing and icing...ended up at 40. Speed could not get over 120 kts with ground speed 90. I decided to go above cloud layer for cruise cos presumingly advanced icing systems cheked will behave as in real world. Where there are no moisture...there are no ice. Well to cut storry short in order not to break flight irelised that fuel calculator was horribly wrong and i realised that  o need to go back to Monsoone or I will go out or fuel. All in all i will stop use that plane. I had no issues with engines anymore since i watched that MP not exceed 45 at about 75-80% prop setting. So, conclusion for me is if bush plane made for temperaturtres up to -40 degrees celsius not work ..something is very wrong. Deicing did not even lowered icing at all. Funny, my A2A Cherokee and Alabeo PA44 worked flawlwssly once i managed to start engines. That leads me to my final thing wich i at least semirealistic icing behaviour. Majestic hmmm dunno. I hear that it is horrible to control manualy wich is aparently true in real life aswell. I stsrted to watch Froogle vids about Crj and it loked just fine there...dunno. Plane looked promising for smaller commercial jet. Even with manual throttle.

Well. Update:

I just bought CRJ from aerosoft. Eventualy deciding factor of 20% (or 10%) discount atm helped to make sure and frankly Majestic and PMDG do have waay more Advanced airplanes, but  fo rme personaly this is more than enough and even dreaded FMC looked not to difficult to handle. Thanks for help. I will most likely ask for help with lerning this think on apropriare subforum :)

Edit: also i noticed solid amount of updates which suggested that it is not abandonware like carenado or alabeo.

"Majestic hmmm dunno. I hear that it is horrible to control manualy wich is aparently true in real life aswell. "

This is exactly what makes this plane so unique. I am quite convinced that with almost all other FSX planes nearly all landings are the same.  They are weightless, For one, I have FSL Airbus. I dont know about the real thing, but if you come in low and slow with FSL Airbus, and around 140-150 kts yank back on the yoke and ram the throttle forward, you will end up flying at about 50-60 degree AoA without any stall, similarly to an Extra 300 hanging from its propeller....

There is no "thrill" for me anymore, unless it is Q400, A2A or Razbam Metroliner – after a bit of tweaking, thank Bjoern: )

The ultimate goal for me with this sim is too get some kind of achievement when I hand-fly a route from take-off to landing, except for the e-n-route segment wher I activate the AP.

• Upvote 2