Sign in to follow this  
Tommy41

Commercial smaller jet or turboprop suggestion

The real world Q400 has a reputation for being difficult to land smoothly. The Majestic Q400 replicates this very well but, if you get everything right, just like with the real world Q400 it is still possible to pull off a nice smooth landing. Indeed Majestic replicate almost every feature of the Q400 very well and in the process have produced what is arguably the best turboprop aircraft ever developed for FSX.

Bill

Why exactly is the Q400 so hard to land? Immediate loss of lift if you cut power early due to small wings and less propwash, yet too much power to land when throttled up?

That'd make it like the 727. Cut power to early, even only at flaps 30 (no more flaps 40 in the SOPs) and it'll be a few loose teeth. Come in too fast and you'll have to wrestle it to the ground to get it to stop in time. Good captains apparently simply flew it onto the runway at contant power down from final, rolled on the nose wheel and engaged reverse.

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

Why exactly is the Q400 so hard to land? Immediate loss of lift if you cut power early due to small wings and less propwash, yet too much power to land when throttled up?

I'm not sure but you may be right in that the wing has a lot to do with it (and also there may not be much ground effect). You are correct the trick is to approach with plenty of power and don't cut the power until actual touchdown. Also avoid using full flap - this is generally only used for airports with steep approaches such as London City.

Bill

• Upvote 2

Well for me ultimate goal is to have fun. If I need days only for takeoff I will get frustrated, so this is just nuff of worload for me. ALso, after installing this plane I realised I still have old FSX gold edition remanants laying arround PC so I needed to turnover registry, folders and what not. So after an evening of hassle I now finaly have PC ready. Aparently Aerosoft CRJ manager is sensitive on any trace of old FSX while steam edition is in use...Still Now I go and try to setup initial position in FMS..lol...that failed last night late lol.

13 hours ago, Bjoern said:

That'd make it like the 727. Cut power to early, even only at flaps 30 (no more flaps 40 in the SOPs) and it'll be a few loose teeth. Come in too fast and you'll have to wrestle it to the ground to get it to stop in time. Good captains apparently simply flew it onto the runway at contant power down from final, rolled on the nose wheel and engaged reverse.

The trick is to use just the right amount of power and trim setting combo. The trim is important so you can maintain elevator authority during the entire flare, the throttle is needed to arrest the sinki. I also carefully trim the Q400 on the final for this matter, there is nothing worse than ending up close th runway and not having enough elevator authority.

• Upvote 1

Well. Here is update. i guess I am still in Search since I requested refound for CRJ 700. So much for Aerosoft eh?

Constant errors and that damn "not found" drove me nuts and I just stopped. Never managed to took it off ground. I have 3 Alabeo aircraft, and one from aerosoft and ofc one from A2A and I never ever had so much hassle with any of addons. Not even my GTN 750 posed problems . I am still hesitant to bite at q400 and frankly I don't like it visualy either. I am now reconsidering A2A Connie. Awsome ship, no FMC problems. I have full crew aswell. sounds good. I would only like to Know if that one supports GTN 750 (some will call that blasphemy) but it is after all 21 st century and everyone have gps in plane, so why not in Connie too.

Ah I should listen warnings from you guys better and more carefully.

The A2A Connie is an excellent aircraft with great systems depth although these systems are of course from a different era. 

With regard to the GTN, the Connie offers the option of displaying an integrated GTN650 on the upper part of the panel but I can confirm it will also function with the GTN750 in a pop-up panel (using the default rather than the Sperry autopilot) if you want to use that rather than the 650. 

Bill

A GTN in a Connie? Come on guys, have some respect!

And thanks for the info about the Q400. Trimming for minimal control input should be a given and keeping the power up also isn't much of a problem.

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

37 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

A GTN in a Connie? Come on guys, have some respect!

LOL!!

Well A2A obviously gave in to modernity on this one and incorporated it as an option sitting on top of the panel. I must hold my hands up in shame and admit that from time to time on a long Connie flight where I wanted to leave my computer and do something else I would set up the default autopilot on the Connie to fly a GTN plan simply because I can get bored very easily if flights are too long! In my defence though I have so far flown all my transoceanic Connie flights in the old fashioned way using a combination of dead reckoning navigation and en-route navigation data from the great little weatherships addon so the good of that balances out the evils of GTN use in the Connie!

Bill

I did my first full flight in CRJ 700 and I must say it was ..intersting. First things first. Their Nav button do not make plane follow route, but it makes plane wobble arround route like drunken sailor... :blink:  . Second in CRJ 700 there are no autothrottle, so setting up correct power is a bit tricky and I still learn how to climb and descend propperly. I did not tried full ILS approach yet, so I have no idea how will this work, but all in all. it is solid, but I would not bought it if i was aware that nav sucks this much. I belived it was more like minor issue but this was too much. Now i mostly use heading mode. So it is very hand on plane for whole flight. I am not sure will i ever bought any other airliner, i just like more smaller planes and honestly I cant spare 2 hours of my free time onyl for startup and shutdown...(not to mention theft price tag on some of those "hi end" plane addons"). As for me I will always recomend GTN 750, A2A Cherokee and Alabeo PA44 Seminole. All good stuff. I still miss one propper biz jet...Dont have any hehe.

2 hours ago, Tommy41 said:

I did my first full flight in CRJ 700 and I must say it was ..intersting.

Hi Tommy,

Well BIZJETS are a different animal and usually much quicker to get airborne... I'm a GA guy and only started with BIZJETS in the last year or so and I can't get enough of the Flysimware model... It seems more people go with Xtreme Prototypes... Neither have glass panels and both depend on steam gauges driven by a GTN... I don't think you could go wrong with either one...

I believe the two undisputed best BIZJETS we have are the two Lears...

• Flysimware Lear 35A
    • Better on frames
    • More realistic autopilot
    • Full 3D implementation of F1 GTN and REX Wx Radar
    • Cheaper - can pick it up for $20.00 or so on sale
  • Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25
    • Better 3D modeling and texturing
    • All switches in cockpit modeled in 3D

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

23 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Tommy,

Well BIZJETS are a different animal and usually much quicker to get airborne... I'm a GA guy and only started with BIZJETS in the last year or so and I can't get enough of the Flysimware model... It seems more people go with Xtreme Prototypes... Neither have glass panels and both depend on steam gauges driven by a GTN... I don't think you could go wrong with either one...

I believe the two undisputed best BIZJETS we have are the two Lears...

• Flysimware Lear 35A
    • Better on frames
    • More realistic autopilot
    • Full 3D implementation of F1 GTN and REX Wx Radar
    • Cheaper - can pick it up for $20.00 or so on sale
  • Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25
    • Better 3D modeling and texturing
    • All switches in cockpit modeled in 3D

Regards,
Scott

I own both, and the Lear 25 is superior to my eyes.

As for props, the Q400 is the best you can get as for now. Maybe when Flight1 decides to upgrade their Cessna Mustang and their B200 to P3D4 we will have more decent birds. Their B200 is one of the sole to correctly emulate turboprop behaviour.

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

I suggest any FSX Eaglesoft products, I find them very well made and accurate. I have owned theire Eaglesoft Development Group Cessna Citation ll/SP for a couple of years now and always find it a feast to fly.

Berlopez