Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

MFC80.DLL missing FSX won't start. Sometimes.

Hi

MS FSX SP2 Win 7 64 bit.  I must clarify that my computer skills go as far as turning on and turning off.

Since yesterday when I go to boot up FSX I get a popup from the FSX.exe that MFC80.DLL is missing and that FSX can't start. I try a few more times - same thing. And then I try again and FSX starts up normally and everything is completely normal.

Obviously I've Googled this, but being a complete novice I find some of the posts a little confusing.  I have run an anti virus and malware check and everything comes up ok.

Is anyone able to give me some idea what's going on and/or how to fix this in a way that I will understand?  I will not be offended if you talk to me like a 5 year old ;-)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

MFC80.dll is part of the Microsoft Foundation Class libraries. I believe that this file is installed from the MSVC libraries. I know... That's Greek to you... (Unless yo happen to be Greek, in which case it's all French to you). 

Try this:

Locate the following directory on your PC:
[your drive]\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2005
In the directory you should find two files called vcredist_x64.exe and vcredist_x86.exe. Run each file one at a time and follow any on screen instructions.
3. Restart your PC and try loading FSX: SE again.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

55 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

In the directory you should find two files called vcredist_x64.exe and vcredist_x86.exe. Run each file one at a time and follow any on screen instructions.

I don't think he is using FSX-SE.  His tag is for boxed version and he said in the first sentence: MS FSX SP2 Win 7 64 bit.

I found no evidence of vcredist_x64.exe and vcredist_x86.exe on my computer at all. and I use FSX with SP2, also.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

It should be in the same location on the boxed version as well. It's always been there. I used to have to run them occasionally as newer software will sometimes update the vcredist package and cause problems with FSX, which prefers the version delivered on the CDs. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Thanks. I'll check this out. 

Gavin Barbara

On 2/1/2018 at 9:07 PM, MDFlier said:

MFC80.dll is part of the Microsoft Foundation Class libraries. I believe that this file is installed from the MSVC libraries. I know... That's Greek to you... (Unless yo happen to be Greek, in which case it's all French to you). 

Try this:

Hi

First of all, thanks for trying to help.

Unfortunately I can't find the path you show.  I don't have the Steam version, I have the standard MS box version.

I don't even know where to start looking for that path.

Anyone?

Gavin Barbara

48 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Hi

First of all, thanks for trying to help.

Unfortunately I can't find the path you show.  I don't have the Steam version, I have the standard MS box version.

I don't even know where to start looking for that path.

Anyone?

Like I said, I also have FSX with SP2 and I don't have either of those .exe files that MDFlier mentioned.  I did a complete C:\ search and found nada!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I think there is some confusion. FSX:SE puts them on your hard drive. Boxed should have them on the CD. Unfortunately, my boxed version is gone, so I can't check it. I am 100% certain that the MSVC redistributables were on the CDs. 

You can download them directly from MS. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387

22 hours ago, MDFlier said:

I think there is some confusion. FSX:SE puts them on your hard drive. Boxed should have them on the CD. Unfortunately, my boxed version is gone, so I can't check it. I am 100% certain that the MSVC redistributables were on the CDs. 

You can download them directly from MS. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387

Hi

OK, I downloaded them, ran the install, rebooted the computer and still the same error.

What I find really weird is that FSX will run after five or six attempts to start it. So, at the end of the day, I can still use FSX, but never on the first boot up attempt.

I genuinely appreciate your attempt to help me. Any other ideas?

Gavin Barbara

The mfc80.dll module is part of Microsoft Visual C++2005 w/SP1 which is required for FSX to start (see page 27, AVSIM CTD Guide).  When you get this error it indicates there is something wrong with Microsoft Visual or Microsoft.net.  This is a Microsoft.net error.  The link above provided by MDFlier is to Microsoft Visual C++ 2005.  The link to SP1 is at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5638

Make sure it is the x86 version being downloaded as FSX is a 32 bit application.  Microsoft might install the x64 bit version with Windows Update but you need the 32 bit version for FSX.  Having the 64 bit version is okay, it just won't ever be used by FSX.

Of course you also need Microsoft.net 2.0 too.  You can look in your C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework folder for x86 to see what versions are installed.  FSX needs v1.1 or 2.0.

If you have Windows 10 installed, you need to also have the 16386 version of the uiautomationcore.dll installed in the main FSX folder.  I have found that FSX will have issues starting unless this version is installed (FSX boxed version only; not for FSX-SE as they installed their own version).

More details in the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 27/28.  See also page 32, Application will not start.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

23 hours ago, Jim Young said:

The mfc80.dll module is part of Microsoft Visual C++2005 w/SP1 which is required for FSX to start (see page 27, AVSIM CTD Guide).  When you get this error it indicates there is something wrong with Microsoft Visual or Microsoft.net.  This is a Microsoft.net error.  The link above provided by MDFlier is to Microsoft Visual C++ 2005.  The link to SP1 is at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5638

Make sure it is the x86 version being downloaded as FSX is a 32 bit application.  Microsoft might install the x64 bit version with Windows Update but you need the 32 bit version for FSX.  Having the 64 bit version is okay, it just won't ever be used by FSX.

Of course you also need Microsoft.net 2.0 too.  You can look in your C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework folder for x86 to see what versions are installed.  FSX needs v1.1 or 2.0.

If you have Windows 10 installed, you need to also have the 16386 version of the uiautomationcore.dll installed in the main FSX folder.  I have found that FSX will have issues starting unless this version is installed (FSX boxed version only; not for FSX-SE as they installed their own version).

More details in the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 27/28.  See also page 32, Application will not start.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks you Jim. I'll have a go at that.

Gavin Barbara

On 2/6/2018 at 10:16 PM, Jim Young said:

Best regards,

Jim

Jim

Downloaded and installed the x86 version from the link you kindly provided. I checked and can confirm I have Microsoft.net 2.0 installed.

The problem is still there. Exactly the same. FSX will start after five or six attempts - which is the weird thing for me. If I can't run a program because something is missing, why does it run after several attempts to boot up?

Gavin Barbara

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

34 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Thanks.  Unfortunately the hotfix link is no longer available. I just get:

The page does not exist

Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

Or am I just being stupid and missing something?

Gavin Barbara

Microsoft Visual C++2005 w/SP1 is really old.  They probably fixed the problem with a Windows update so the Hotfix is no longer needed.  Over last weekend I had to reinstall FSX/Acceleration.  It started up perfectly and has been running perfectly.  I do not have the latest Microsoft Visual C++2005 w/SP1 (well, one is installed but it is not the latest).  I do not understand why my installation occurred without any problems and you are having issues.  In any case, I would uninstall Microsoft Visual C++2005 w/SP1 and reinstall.  A lot of people think because they have a 64-bit operating system, they need the Microsoft Visuals for 64-bit.  They do not as FSX is a 32-bit program and needs the x86 versions. 

The problem could also be with your dll.xml.  When you first start up FSX, that's what is loaded first.  There are times when FSX will start up normally, and then times FSX will not start up normally.  In other words, one of the modules the dll.xml is trying to load does not always load.  It has happened to me before and it was because I didn't have the latest version of the FSUIPC.  If you own Carenado products, they load a module called the CMeteoXml.dll.  This dll sometimes works, sometimes not. 

You stated you have FSX SP2 installed so I want to be sure you installed FSX (Standard or Deluxe), SP1, and then SP2.  SP2 does not contain the changes made for SP1 and is required.  I suspect something wrong with your installation as Microsoft Visual C++2005 makes sure FSX was installed properly as the developer intended.  If not, then it throws a 2005 C++ error.  If you did install SP1 and then SP2, then double-click on SP2 and select uninstall.  Once uninstalled, double-click on it and click install.  This will not affect any of your fsx.cfg or scenery.cfg or any other file.  It's just an update.

Submit News to AVSIM