Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

MFC80.DLL missing FSX won't start. Sometimes.

36 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Thanks.  Unfortunately the hotfix link is no longer available. I just get:

The page does not exist

Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

Or am I just being stupid and missing something?

The link works for me. Try refreshing your browser or clearing the browser cache. If that doesn’t work try another browser.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

The link works for me.

The link to the page is okay but when you click on the link inside the page to go to the hotfix, that link is the one that is dead.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

22 hours ago, Jim Young said:

The link to the page is okay but when you click on the link inside the page to go to the hotfix, that link is the one that is dead.

Regrettably yes.

By the way, I do appreciate you all trying to help.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Just bumping in the hope that someone who missed this last time may see it now and be able to help.

If I'm not supposed to do this, please accept my apologies, tell me, and I will not do it again.

Gavin Barbara

I seem to recall having this problem and for me it was some conflict with MalWareBytes. If you're running that, maybe try disabling when starting FSX

Hans Soule

On 3/5/2018 at 1:54 AM, flibinite said:

I seem to recall having this problem and for me it was some conflict with MalWareBytes. If you're running that, maybe try disabling when starting FSX

I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Gavin Barbara

On 3/4/2018 at 4:54 PM, flibinite said:

I was running the "free" version of Malwarebytes a long while ago.  The scan had to be started manually.  With the update to the trial payware version, I found it messed up just about everything I tried to start up.

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

5 hours ago, charliearon said:

I was running the "free" version of Malwarebytes a long while ago.  The scan had to be started manually.  With the update to the trial payware version, I found it messed up just about everything I tried to start up.

Interesting. I wonder if that could be the cause?

Gavin Barbara

I have the payware version but uninstalled it.  It doesn't like opposition anti-malware programs and will put them into quarantine.  The program does no better than Microsoft's Windows Defender.  It does stop sites from collecting outbound data from your computer.  I believe this is cookies communicating with an advertiser.  It says it stopped the outbound communication to a malicious website.  That's wrong and they know it.  That's the problem with the anti-malware and anti-virus programs.  They have to keep you scared...

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Interesting. I wonder if that could be the cause?

I doubt it.  It might have messed up an installation of FSX or an add-on but you are able to run FSX and Malware programs only stop an application from starting if it is malware or a virus.  You can look in your malware or virus program and see if anything has been quarantined.  These malware/anti-virus programs throw false-positives when they think your add-on has a virus in it.  They are, of course, wrong as you got your download from a known Source (a developer or Store).  If you had gotten your download from an unknown Source, then you should be concerned.

There appears to be no solution to your problem.  I would reinstall it plus all of your add-ons.  When the mfc80.dll error is thrown, it is a Microsoft.net error telling you there is something wrong with the installation of your application (as I stated before, it could be FSX or one of your add-ons).   I recommend the following for uninstalling - https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx as it will have to be completely uninstalled.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 3/10/2018 at 10:36 PM, Jim Young said:

I have the payware version but uninstalled it.  It doesn't like opposition anti-malware programs and will put them into quarantine.  The program does no better than Microsoft's Windows Defender.  It does stop sites from collecting outbound data from your computer.  I believe this is cookies communicating with an advertiser.  It says it stopped the outbound communication to a malicious website.  That's wrong and they know it.  That's the problem with the anti-malware and anti-virus programs.  They have to keep you scared...

I doubt it.  It might have messed up an installation of FSX or an add-on but you are able to run FSX and Malware programs only stop an application from starting if it is malware or a virus.  You can look in your malware or virus program and see if anything has been quarantined.  These malware/anti-virus programs throw false-positives when they think your add-on has a virus in it.  They are, of course, wrong as you got your download from a known Source (a developer or Store).  If you had gotten your download from an unknown Source, then you should be concerned.

There appears to be no solution to your problem.  I would reinstall it plus all of your add-ons.  When the mfc80.dll error is thrown, it is a Microsoft.net error telling you there is something wrong with the installation of your application (as I stated before, it could be FSX or one of your add-ons).   I recommend the following for uninstalling - https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx as it will have to be completely uninstalled.

Thanks Jim. Looks like the uninstall/reinstall path is the only one left.  I would just like to clarify that all my FS software is paid for and legitimate.

Gavin Barbara

I'm sure you do Gavin!!  My hypothetical above was about getting software from unknown Sources.  A Store is not an unknown Source. 

I might have recommended (or someone else did), but make sure you have FSX set up to always start up with Administrative privileges for ALL users.

Submit News to AVSIM

9 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Thanks Jim. Looks like the uninstall/reinstall path is the only one left.  I would just like to clarify that all my FS software is paid for and legitimate.

One last thought, since the uninstall/reinstall option is drastic.  Have you considered the Repair option instead?

The biggie with a Repair is any default file, including those default aircraft.cfgs with added liveries, that have been modified, tweaked, or otherwise changed, will be returned to default status.
You can make a copy of your existing FSX folder/subfolders before the repair and paste those individual files back in afterwards.

If you have SP1, SP2, or Acceleration installed, they must be uninstalled before a repair attempt, and reinstalled, after the repair, or it won't work.
Once you have your FSX up and running properly again, back it up, all of it.
You may need it again and it's a lot easier than a Repair or Re-Install.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Do you know what?  The strange thing is that the last few times I have booted FSX up, it just runs.  I don't get to do this too often these days. Self-employed with a 15 month old son ;-)  I have noticed a few anomalies, such as changes to the settings in my PMDG aircraft. Simple to set back to what I wanted.  So for now I'm just going to leave things as they are.  If it gets worse, I'll do the whole uninstall/reinstall thing.

Thank you all for your help - it is appreciated.

Jim - if you feel this thread has run its course and want to lock it, I will fully understand.

Gavin Barbara