Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

Interesting story

Guest davidvoogd

I don't like the idea of other pilots reading books while flying when they should be watching for traffic and monitoring the instruments LOL!Aircraft are getting far more affordable than this article says - the new sport pilot license and the light sport aircraft category will present many more affordable aircraft, certainly more affordable than a Lancair lol.

I presume it's $US that the author is so freely advocating as affordable flying. :-eek$300,000 for a Lancair! Thanks but no thanks :-)Also trying to pass off aircraft flying as some form of automated process whereby all that's required is to set up your aircraft, like a clothes dryer, then just sit back, read a book and enjoy the ride is totally irresponsible and downright dangerous. No; I'll stick to driving the car- a lot safer, but come to think of it I have seen people reading the newspaper whilst driving in heavy traffic on their way to work. :-lolRoger

>I don't like the idea of other pilots reading books while>flying when they should be watching for traffic and monitoring>the instruments LOL!>>Aircraft are getting far more affordable than this article>says - the new sport pilot license and the light sport>aircraft category will present many more affordable aircraft,>certainly more affordable than a Lancair lol.As I've had to state elsewhere, the story isn't all that complete. At 50 years of age, you can figure that her kids might be capable of reading the books out loud, when not watching DVD's. As to reading the books, it say's "we".There is nothing written in regards to how many flights this involved, and she also has a co-pilot on the insurance policy. IMO--- the essence of the story, is that you don't have to be checking and cross-checking your location every few minutes like in the old days. GPS's for flight planning and directing auto-pilots work very well these days. Just do some cross-checking with your charts, between paragraphs of the book! :D L.Adamson

interesting as L.Adamson and I squared off on this issue of 'affordable' flying several months ago now. I stated that aircraft above the quarter million dollar mark is essentially a corporate aircraft. As you know this covers a great majority of new aircraft. Larry stated that he knew of many folks who have such planes, as I do too. However, the ones I know have them purchased by the coroportations that they are CEO's of, not personally bought. I am sure Larry will speak up on this also.As an ex-aircraft owner, I only know one person who has a plane in excess of 300k and it is owned by him. He is a retired (48 year old) telcom industry executive. Other than that, most of my freinds who fly have what I had. 2-3 folks co-purchase a 25 year old 4 seater, single. Even then, I had to drop out, just could not afford it anymore.Keep in mind that the average salary in the US is 44,200 USD (in 2004). People will fly when it is affordable, I do not think that the sport pilot thing will help a wit. The cost of learning is nothing compared to the cost of ownership. Maybe a powered kite or chute?

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

>interesting as L.Adamson and I squared off on this issue of>'affordable' flying several months ago now. I stated that>aircraft above the quarter million dollar mark is essentially>a corporate aircraft. As you know this covers a great>majority of new aircraft. Larry stated that he knew of many>folks who have such planes, as I do too. However, the ones I>know have them purchased by the coroportations that they are>CEO's of, not personally bought. I am sure Larry will speak>up on this also.>I must be getting "older", as I don't remember the exact conversation.....:D L.Adamson

>Keep in mind that the average salary in the US is 44,200 USD>(in 2004). People will fly when it is affordable, I do not>think that the sport pilot thing will help a wit. >Wasn't the sports pilot thing intended to help people fly under restrictions who are unable to pass the medical for PPL?If more people fly that would mean more demand for aircraft (initially probably mainly rentals) and flight training, lowering the prices for those over time.>The cost of learning is nothing compared to the cost of>ownership. Maybe a powered kite or chute?Microlights are the answer I guess. The more expensive ones are still a long way short of the price of a Cessna but are getting quite close in comfort and performance (at least at low altitude, their weak engines won't make them go all that high).They're far simpler systems and therefore cheaper to maintain and operate.

Guest ThrottleUp

Its 2005....werent we supposed to be whizzing around in flying cars by now?!:)