Sign in to follow this  
TheBoom

Rebuilding terrain.cfg

So I’ve been having a few texture morphing and flickering issues. 

I deleted the terrain cfg file and let P3D build an new one. Then I closed P3D and ran FTX Central. 

However I noticed the new terrain.cfg file is smaller by a little bit and the texture count is less by about 20?

Is there another step I’m missing here?

Apart from Orbx global + open lc everything else is add on scenery including freemeshx so that should be it right?

I have never heard of anyone deleting the terrain.cfg before and letting it rebuild.  Not a good idea.  If it was rebuilt, it rebuilt to the P3D default.  So any addons that put entries there are missing and you will have to reinstall those.  I see Orbx had a few entries in mine.  But then they have their own global terrain.cfg file.  Reinstall all of your Orbx scenery and that should fix it for you.  Before you do that, make sure there's not a backup in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin.  Think Orbx makes backups of configs if they change the orig.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

A search revealed someone suggesting to do that on the orbx forum however there aren’t any detailed explanations on the process.

I was under the impression that terrain and scenery are separate and addon sceneries would go under scenery.cfg and not terrain.cfg

I did make a backup so if anything went wrong I’ll just revert to that. Thanks. 

I have heard of this process myself, and have done so as well.  After you deleted it and ran P3D once, it rebuilt just the P3D version of the cfg file. Running FTXCentral added the ORBX  only entries to that file.  If you have other addons, such as Ultimate Terrain,  you will need to run those installers to add their entries as well.  

I don’t have UTX but I figured out that it’s probably Amsterdam X which probably uses the terrain.cfg file instead of scenery cfg. Guess I should reinstall that. 

Hi

ive noticed my orbx scenery is a little blurry 

so I was just browsing around my folders and noticed copies of my terrain cfg ,scenery cfg cameras cfg.  In P3d v4 main folder A:\

and the a c:\program data Lockheed Martin P3d folder

are those copies suppose to be in aim folder?

which ones may I delete to rebuild?

or shall I just delete generated files in main folder?

thanks

mike