Sign in to follow this  

Orthoscenery gets even better

Yesterday I found a neat little mod on the org for all orthofans: It replaces XP's road texture with (semi-)transparant textures so that you will see the actual roads from the orthoimages instead of the uniform and sometimes clunky roads that XP draws. Yet, these are still textures, so XP will put lights on them for your glorious night lighting and you will have road traffic driving 'directly' (so it seems) over your orthoimage (if the actual roads and XPs overlays are well aligned of course). I did try it yesterday and it worked like a charme. Really makes for a cleaner impression over all. It is a bit of copypasta work in the first place though.

Here's the link - you'll also find some pics over there in the comments: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/41811-road-and-autogen-textures-for_photoscenery/

Thanks for the heads up, that definitely looks better. I'm going to give this a try.

On 2/2/2018 at 6:37 PM, domae001 said:

Yesterday I found a neat little mod on the org for all orthofans: It replaces XP's road texture with (semi-)transparant textures so that you will see the actual roads from the orthoimages instead of the uniform and sometimes clunky roads that XP draws. Yet, these are still textures, so XP will put lights on them for your glorious night lighting and you will have road traffic driving 'directly' (so it seems) over your orthoimage (if the actual roads and XPs overlays are well aligned of course). I did try it yesterday and it worked like a charme. Really makes for a cleaner impression over all. It is a bit of copypasta work in the first place though.

Here's the link - you'll also find some pics over there in the comments: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/41811-road-and-autogen-textures-for_photoscenery/

This was a wonderful tip...and thank you very much for it. It made a world of difference in all my rural, suburban, and secondary roadways. The color of the roads now perfectly blend into Ortho4XP derived photo scenery. The road traffic now is very believable to the eye, within the scenery it travels over. Simply a great tip! Thank you!

On 2/3/2018 at 9:29 PM, gregda said:

Also the Photoscenery Autogen mod to remove house grass yards is great.  Between these two mods the sim in cities looks so much better and realistic.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/39590-photoscenery-autogen/

This mod is also covered with the Roads replacement zip.  The author did it another way, that accomplishes the same end.

eh, good to know you guys enjoyed my mod... :-) 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Yes a great mod, thanks. However I have found that with Simheaven Europe x the resolution of the roads, at least in Austria and Switzerland, and Nice, France, the only places I have tried it,  have been exquisitely improved. The roads follow the orthos perfectly!  They blend in with the orthos so well that at a bit of altitude there is no longer that ugly discrepancy. So my roads are on in Europe again. I used the mod to remove the autogen yards and that also looks great letting the orthos shine through. Amazing at ZL 19!