Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

AV Software (again)

Which Antivirus software are you using?

I used to use payware but had to start cutting costs, so eventually went over to freeware.  Trouble with these is they tend to take over the PC.

What's the current consensus here on freeware products?

If you are running Win10 you don't need any additional AV programs, freeware or otherwise. Win10 comes with a built-in version of Defender that includes MS Security Essentials and is entirely adequate.

DJ

• Upvote 2

Totally agree with DJ.  If you want to supplement Defender though, I would get something like Malwarebytes3 as malware is the major threat today, especially ransomware.  Defender does that too but Malwarebytes3 blocks outgoing info from your computer to sites considered malicious.

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Agree with the thoughts so far.  I tried WebRoot and Bitdefender this past year and got rid of both within 4 months.  Both programs deleted P3D files without a warning causing a reinstall on several occasion among other issues I have had with other programs even with exclusions.  I am back to using Windows Defender as I have never had a problem with it.

Jim - Do you use the pay-ware version of Malwarebytes?  I have it but it is the free version that I run on occasion.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Another vote for Defender, albeit on Windows 7. Never had an issue with it.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Thanks for the feedback.  Funny thing is, for years now, whenever I've done a fresh Windows installation, the 1st thing I've done is to disable Defender.  So much so, its become habit, without even questioning why any more.  I think it goes back to the days of using Nick Needhams tweaks with WinXP.

Things have changed, and I haven't kept up with the times.

About to reengage with Defender;-)

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Totally agree with DJ.  If you want to supplement Defender though, I would get something like Malwarebytes3 as malware is the major threat today, especially ransomware.  Defender does that too but Malwarebytes3 blocks outgoing info from your computer to sites considered malicious.

+1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, Flic1 said:

Do you use the pay-ware version of Malwarebytes?  I have it but it is the free version that I run on occasion.

I have the Premium version. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Regarding malware, you might also want to check out Hitman Pro and Zemana protection programs.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

5 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I have the Premium version. 

As do I.  I believe the premium version is the threshold for ransomware protection.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

8 hours ago, Dougal said:

think it goes back to the days of using Nick Needhams tweaks with WinXP

This is a school of thought, which I follow that says exclude the flight sim folder from scanning. 

I expect Malwarebytes Premium and MS Security Essentials in Win 7, to detect any issue as it is introduced to the computer, so why constantly scan my simulator and add-ons while they are running.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem