Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

World2Aerofly? Tonywobs First tests and thoughts with Aerofly FS 2 scenery creation

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

very interesting. I'm waiting for the Ortho4XP equivalent tools fully mature for FS2. It's always good to have choices. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

4 hours ago, FlyIce said:

very interesting. I'm waiting for the Ortho4XP equivalent tools fully mature for FS2. It's always good to have choices. 

No need to wait. There's a user-contributed tool available called Geoconvert Helper 

https://www.aerofly.com/community/filebase/index.php?file/66-geoconvert-helper-user-created-application/

(may require a forum login, but the tool is free). Together with FSET (= FsEarthTiles) it does the same as Ortho4XP. IMHO, the process is not at all harder to master than Ortho4XP.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

AFS is an exciting new sim platform and my hope is that it will be much easier in future for freeware developers to make scenery. More developers = more users :)

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, tonywob said:

AFS is an exciting new sim platform and my hope is that it will be much easier in future for freeware developers to make scenery. More developers = more users :)

Promising Words from you Tony !!!!  

Knowing what you've done for X-Plane we can only hope for the Best !!!

Ya Da Man !!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 4-2-2018 at 10:29 AM, tonywob said:

Do you have any comments on how home made scenery with cultivation influences performance? On the official forum someone said performance went down in a rather obvious way(in a topic that got locked) when I he was flying his own made scenery with cultivation. Do you have the same experience or not at all?

50 minutes ago, J van E said:

Do you have any comments on how home made scenery with cultivation influences performance? On the official forum someone said performance went down in a rather obvious way(in a topic that got locked) when I he was flying his own made scenery with cultivation. Do you have the same experience or not at all?

I made a scenery for my home town and its surrounding using Geoconvert from  1m/px images and Cultivation. It's still running solid 120 fps, no need for more (no VR though, just an old-fashioned 3440x1440 monitor).

Maybe adding a number of dedicated objects will slow it down.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

7 minutes ago, pmb said:

I made a scenery for my home town and its surrounding using Geoconvert from  1m/px images and Cultivation. It's still running solid 120 fps, no need for more (no VR though, just an old-fashioned 3440x1440 monitor).

Maybe adding a number of dedicated objects will slow it down.

Kind regards, Michael

Okay, thanks, good to hear.

15 hours ago, J van E said:

Do you have any comments on how home made scenery with cultivation influences performance?

The region I made was 100km2, centered around a densely populated part of the UK. As well as breaking up buildings into rectangles (so each complex buildings might consist of several smaller ones), I also added thousands of forests/trees.

In all honestly, I never noticed any degradation in performance at all. Super smooth in VR, and in fact the only sim that works for me in VR with this sort of scenery. What I suspect will kill performance more is using large areas of high-res photoreal. I used Level 14 for the 100km.

What I'm experimenting on next is adding 3D auto-generated towns and cities as models instead of autogen. So this I think will likely begin to hit the limits in the sim, but will be interesting to find out.

Thanks for the information, Tony! Sounds really good!