Sign in to follow this  
Sartanius

Outdoor Wireless Video Surveillance

Definitely not aviation or flight sim related, but thought I'd get some opinions from the Avsim community.

Looking for a reasonably priced outdoor wireless video camera system (single camera) that streams to my local home network only.  Most of the systems I've reviewed (incl., Nest, Ring) require an internet connection and consume up/down bandwidth for normal operation.  Want a local system only.  Our puppy likes to dig in our new backyard sod, so I'd like to monitor her when she's out to try and stop the behavior.  This allows me to stay seated at my PC during flights, and not have to go lurk outside and physically spy on her.

Thanks for your time!

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Harbor Freight has a very nice system that works via Wi-Fi. It is a four channel system though and comes with two cameras with night vision.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Great suggestion, Bill.  I'll go check that out.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Check out ARLO.  Incredible.

Stan

+1 on Arlo. I have two of these in WA and both the hardware and software are the best ( I only have Nest thermostats but no cams so I can't comment on those). The Arlos put the Samsung and the cheaper cams that I have in NY to shame.

Have to admit... Arlo looks like a nice solution, but a bit pricey.  It does seem, however, that like the Ring and Nest cameras, the video stream still flows up to the cloud before coming back to the end user's device.  I don't really mind the use of bandwidth, I'm only concerned with watching my dog a couple times a day.  This is not a surveillance task where I need to record footage.

In the end, if the best solution requires a cloud server, so be it.  Thanks to all of you that have weighed in.

Doug Miannay

Most home automation stuff is cloud-based. If it wasn't, it would be far more difficult to access your equipment from outside of your home WiFi network. Between ISPs clamping down on access to your home network and firewalls erected by Windows, A/V utilities and routers, it's become a Herculean task to communicate with non-cloud based devices while away.