Sign in to follow this  
Ramjett

Prop Blur in FSX Non-Native Aircraft Fix

I am slowly getting my vintage WWI aircraft set for flight...if you have been following any of my other recent posts...and the one single issue that remains a "nuisance" is the prop blur issue in aircraft taken from FS2004 in to FSX.

I have read pretty much every thread I could find on the issue and have come to realize there are two reasons for the prop blur masking autogen and scenery.  The reasoning could be the texture is at fault or the model is at fault.  The fix for the texture fault is simple and has been explained many times in various forum.  I have used the method to fix the prop blur issue in many FS2004 aircraft that I have tried in FSX.  However, the issue of the model at fault is only touched upon slightly and rarely with any definitive fix.

Perhaps there is none, yet many FS2004 aircraft have been successfully used in FSX without the prop blur issue.  My understanding is that in FS2004, some models, especially early ones, included a "prop disk" as a part of the model.  That "disk" is masking the autogen, buildings, trees, and clouds in FSX.  Of course I could be totally wrong, because I understand far less about the aircraft design part of flight simulator than I do the scenery design side.

Most answers concerning "the model is causing it" say there is no way to correct that.  Is that true?  If so, I will go my merry way and simply bear with it.  If not...how to fix?

Randy

The aircraft model is compiled from the aircraft's source code.  Without the source code you cannot change the model.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks for the reply stans...he says as he plays the Smurf TV Show theme song (La La LaLa LaLa) and goes tripping along his merry way. :biggrin:

Randy

Randy, it may be possible to fix using Arno's Model Converter X (MCX) utility program. Check it out at:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/modelconverterx.87/

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I did use MCX to look at the model, Father Bill.  The texture for the prop blur (called "propwash.bmp" in the aircraft in question) doesn't even show in the list of textures.  Plus, when I import the model MCX always gives me a popup window before displaying the model called "Set Condition Variables" and I never know which one to select...it only let's me select one.  My choices with this particular aircraft (an Albatross DIII) are gen_model, eng0, F6, 19C, 198, parts_visible, r_spoiler, and g_lightStates. 

All of these have a value of zero except gen_model with a value of 2 and parts_visible with a value of 65535.  At the bottom of the window is an instruction to hover the cursor over the variable name to see help text, but nothing I see when I do that "helps" me make a choice.

I have selected them all at one point or another and I have figured out that "r_spoiler" is the animation of the pilot's head and "eng0" is the engine/propeller animation...but no prop blur, just a slow 1/2 turn of the propeller and the animation stops.  Clicking on gen_model and parts_visible shows me the complete aircraft, but I see no prop disk and, as mentioned, the texture for prop blur isn't even listed in Material Editor, although it is in the aircraft folder texture folder for the livery.

And by the way, shouldn't you be in church?  I know I was a couple of hours ago.

Randy

If you are getting the Set Condition pop-up then the model is not FSX.  It's usually not necessary to change those settings prior to conversion to FSX. 

Thank you sir, for your reply.  No, it is not FSX.  I thought that was apparent by the subject "... FSX Non-Native Aircraft...", but maybe I don't understand what "native" means.  For that I apologize.  I thought a native FSX aircraft was one made for FSX from start to finish.  Can "native" also mean a different platform aircraft that has been reworked to function in FSX as if it was "made" for FSX.  Oh, heck, now even I'm confused at what I'm trying to say.

Anyway, it is an FS2004 vintage WWI aircraft, an Albatross DIII.  It has not been "worked" to make it function in FSX...and yet it does, straight from the download (and the virtual cockpit is stunning by the way).

So are you saying I should not be using Model Converter "X" and should be a previous version of Model Converter?

Randy

First of all, FS9 aircraft may work correctly  in P3d4 without any alteration at all. What tends to not work are some (but not all) FS9 animations and certain legacy texture formats. 

Second, it is best to use the most recent developmental version of MCX because it has the most features and usually the least bugs.

Thank you again for your reply, sir, but P3Dv4?  Who said anything about P3D?  Some key phrases from my original post.

prop blur issue in aircraft taken from FS2004 in to FSX.

FS2004...models...included a "prop disk" (that) ...is masking the autogen...in FSX. 

The issue, topic, and question has always been about using FS2004 aircraft in FSX, not P3Dv4, and trying to get rid of the prop blur issue.  Father Bill, after i was satisfied it could not be fixed...by me...suggested trying MCX being his usual helpful soul as he always is.  I pointed out I had tried MCX and explained what I "saw".

You seemed to imply...although perhaps not and I simply misunderstood your words...Lord knows I have done that before, much to my chagrin, that the version of MCX I am using will always show that...meaning other versions won't?

I always have used the latest working version of most programs I use for FS, be it ADE, or MCX, or several others.

Thanks again for your reply, though, knowledge is power and every day that I come here I get more "powerful".

Randy

Randy, if I might interject again... I highly suggest taking your question to http://fsdeveloper.com and seek advice from folks who've been dealing with this exact problem.

To be perfectly frank, most of the folks who know MCX best hang out there. :cool:

BTW, as it happened last Sunday, I'd already done my two obligatory masses earlier. I am officially "retired" these days after all! :biggrin:

Fr. Bill    

Just wanted to let everyone here know that I posted my query over at the FSDeveloper site and a few very helpful people jumped in and guided me to a successful conclusion to this.  You can see screenshots of the final product here...

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fs2004-aircraft-propeller-states.439521/

MCX is an amazing tool, but if you have never manipulated aircraft models with it expect some "unexpected" results and many, many exports until you get the process down.

Thanks for all the advice, tips, and pointers.

Randy

Randy, I am glad to hear of your success. I was following the thread at FS Developer... :cool:

Fr. Bill    

Thank you father Bill.  It is surprisingly easy to do, but perhaps that depends on the aircraft model from FS2004 you start with.

Sadly, I haven't even been able to access the FSDeveloper site since early this morning and only one other person has said the same on their Facebook page, but it's early morning where Arno is, so perhaps later.

My access to FSDevelopers has been spotty ever since the server failure on Feb 11, 2018.  I completely understand improvements and switching to more dependable servers, but it always seems to happen in the "heat of a project" I am working on. 

The Fokker D VII (I switched aircraft I was working with) is useable and functional in FSX, but there are "small things" I want to improve, like the animated wind speed indicator mounted on the wing strut and the propeller hub that disappears at prop0_blurred.  I know I can work on it without access to FSDevelopers, but having the site up as I do is..."reassuring".

Want to "sink my teeth" into GMAX or purchase FSDS next...3DSMax, like Photoshop (I use Paint.net), is a tad bit out of my pocketbook's reach.

Randy

Randy, I would highly recommend that you explore Blender as a free alternative to either GMax or FSDS.

GMax as you know is no longer supported in any way by sim developers. Fortunately, at this time even P3Dv4.x will support models compiled for FSX, but it's unknown how much longer that support will remain viable.

Louis Sinclair's FSDS was at one time the only alternative to GMax or Max, but it is extremely convoluted and overly complex IMHO.

Very robust tools have been developed to achive Blender to .MDL file export and compilation, and it has been actively improved over the past few years.

In any event, continue to have fun! This is a thoroughly addictive "hobby", which for me developed into a source of much needed additional retirement income. :cool:

Fr. Bill