Sign in to follow this  
Anthony D

Ground lit up at night using Thopat preset

I am currently using the latest thopat preset.  I absolutely love it except for some reason the ground is all lit up at night around my plane.   Maybe a few mile radius around the plane is lit.  I have pictures to show what I mean, but for some reason I am not able to post them.  Is there any way to adjust this in PTA ?  Any help is appreciated.   Thanks !!!  

that is why I dont use that preset.

im sure someone else can explain it better than me, but..PTA allows presets that change the value of many thing including the "brightness" of ambient light.  some presets have very dark nights while others are the opposite.

Have you tried REX's series of PTA presets?

Check your brightness/contrast settings inside P3D. Also the same settings on your monitor.

And try other presets to see If you have this issue with them too.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hey Gerard,

Thanks for responding !     

The brightness/contrast settings in P3D are set to.  Brightness: 1.00    Bloom: 0.30     Saturation: 0.80      This was recommended by the Thopat preset instructions.  Do you think lowering any of these will help ?  Otherwise,  I will try another preset.  Any other you highly recommend ? I really like the way Thopat looks in the day. It looks awesome.  So any other presets you recommend that is close to that quality would be great.  I will then also try it at night to see if the ground is lit up like that.

On 6-2-2018 at 3:55 PM, Anthony D said:

Hey Gerard,

Thanks for responding !     

The brightness/contrast settings in P3D are set to.  Brightness: 1.00    Bloom: 0.30     Saturation: 0.80      This was recommended by the Thopat preset instructions.  Do you think lowering any of these will help ?  Otherwise,  I will try another preset.  Any other you highly recommend ? I really like the way Thopat looks in the day. It looks awesome.  So any other presets you recommend that is close to that quality would be great.  I will then also try it at night to see if the ground is lit up like that.

You can try Adams preset or mine to see the difference.

Mine had Thopat as a base when I started and I kept improving ever since.

My preset : see the Custom Presets thread at the top.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

20 hours ago, _Patrol said:

Run PTA go to > Lighting > terrain lighting

lower value ambient moonlight ratio and diffuse moonlight ratio

try 0.50 / 0.50

save preset

actions > apply

actions > clear shader cache

https://imgur.com/UACpj7l

Cool, will give that a try.   Thanks !!

13 hours ago, GSalden said:

I will download version 10 of your preset and give it a shot.  I will let you know how it goes.........

This issue is likely caused by the Diffuse Moonlight setting under the 'Terrain Lighting' option seeing that their is a nearly full moon in the shot.  I have mine set to .7 and ambient moonlight is set to .8.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:52 AM, GSalden said:

Hey Gerard,  I tried your preset and it definitely fixed the issue.   It looks like it was the Ambient Moon setting and maybe a combination of some of the other settings.  But overall your preset is working great as it improves on the Thopat preset.      Thanks again !!

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, Flic1 said:

This issue is likely caused by the Diffuse Moonlight setting under the 'Terrain Lighting' option seeing that their is a nearly full moon in the shot.  I have mine set to .7 and ambient moonlight is set to .8.

Thanks again.  This definitely was the issue.  But in the end I went with Gerard's preset and it also fixed it this issue.  

Quick question...... Since you guys knew about the moonlight lighting........   Do you know which setting controls how bright the ground illuminates from the airplane taxi or landing lights ?     Was wondering if there was an adjustment for this ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.