Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

$5.00 Very Nice Little GA Airport - TAG's KHLX

Hi Folks,

Re: The Airport Guys

For the GA crowd - here's a new little gem I just found by chance...

I guess it's the first in a whole series of Blue Ridge Mountain GA Airports... This is the first of nine...

While not quite ORBX quality - it's pretty darn nice.. Custom mesh and ground textures blended with ORBX...

I like what I see - the custom mesh really gives the airport some variety and visual interest - the ground textures with the ORBX blending look great - and very solid model work - I like the level of detail... I also like the "off the beaten track" location as I'm a GA and BIZJET flier - the Blue Ridge Mountains are perfect...

http://www.theairportguys.com/

KHLX
Twin County Airport
Galax Hillsville, Virginia, USA

Twin County Airport is located in the heart of the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains of southwest Virginia, adjacent to Interstate 77 near exit 19. We are 6 miles west of Hillsville and 11 miles northeast of Galax.

Cost $5.00

16mg6r.jpg

Note: Not related to "The Airport Guys" in any way, shape, or form - just happy with their product...

Regards,
Scott

• Like 3
  • Upvote 7

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thanks for the link. I picked it up and it can't be beat for the price. It blends in perfectly with Vector.  

• Upvote 1

Dwight Heyer

Very nice...may get it. .what are the odds I can operate my 744 from here. ..?  Heh

• Upvote 2

spacer.png

32 minutes ago, dheyer said:

Thanks for the link. I picked it up and it can't be beat for the price. It blends in perfectly with Vector.  

18 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Very nice...may get it. .what are the odds I can operate my 744 from here. ..?  Heh

Hi Folks,

LOL - yeah - it's a tiny airport - 4000 ft or so runway - 744 - umm - err - LOL... I really was pleasantly surprised by it and for $5.00 how can you really go wrong... It's better than some that cost far more... Seamless blending to surrounding textures is really a must for me and the night lighting looks good too...

Regards,

Scott

Oh man, some of those airport names bring back some memories. Pulaski, Martinsville, some of those others. 25 years ago, flying single engine freight aircraft like Lances and Bonanzas in the winter. LOL..some white knuckle moments. I'll be interested to revisit some of them...

Some months back, enticed by this $5 airport, I bought the rest of their airports (including the legacy ones).

The later ones are better than the earlier ones and there is a good freeware airport.

I had a query after my first purchase. Their customer support couldn't be faulted by me, either in timing or substance.

16 hours ago, BeachAV8R said:

Oh man, some of those airport names bring back some memories. Pulaski, Martinsville, some of those others. 25 years ago, flying single engine freight aircraft like Lances and Bonanzas in the winter. LOL..some white knuckle moments. I'll be interested to revisit some of them...

That must have made for some interesting times... I never knew these small little airports had much freight traffic...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, scottb613 said:

That must have made for some interesting times... I never knew these small little airports had much freight traffic...

Well, the operative word is "had" definitely. We are talking 25 years ago when I was doing that. Those were the days that bank checks had to physically move to the banks in order for the deposits to "count". So all over the country, every night, thousands of small airplanes flew all over the country picking up bank checks and delivering to larger cities where the checks could be hurried to the major banks to be deposited. Scanning and electronic banking pretty much killed that industry. As well, we carried a lot of Airborne Express freight from those smaller communities to the larger hubs, there they'd all go onto a larger aircraft like a DC-8 and sent to the major sort centers. We also flew a lot of Kodak and Konica film canisters - I don't know what was in the film..maybe medical film or something..I have no idea.

Nowadays you see more stuff like blood and tissues flying around in the middle of the night with couriers doing drug testing samples and organ donation stuff..those are things that can't be scanned or electronically processed. Things are a lot different than they were a couple decades ago..I'm glad I got to experience it, and I'm even happier that I survived it.. LOL

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, BeachAV8R said:

Well, the operative word is "had" definitely.

Hi...

Thanks for the detailed write up and a little slice into the life of a freight dog... Yeah - my CFI worked for AirNet "Star Check" flying Lears out of Bradley - never really considered there were a bunch of smaller planes probably rounding up the checks and dropping them at Bradley for him to move to the hub... That transition to electronic banking must have been brutal on the freight dogs... Thanks again for your insights...

Regards,
Scott 

• Upvote 3

Hi @scottb613 

Thanks for taking the time to do a detailed post on this.

I've just purchased it and looking forward to the rest of the series.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Folks,

Hmm - just noticed they just released a new $5.00 special - haven't had a chance to try it yet...

For those who like off the beaten track (I do) - country roads take me home...

http://www.theairportguys.com/

0VG
Lee County Airport
Jonesville, Virginia, USA

0VG3.png 

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

Looks great and can’t beat the price!

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

34 minutes ago, dpergau said:

Looks great and can’t beat the price!

Hi Dan,

Yeah - LOL - I'm sure it can't do much more than buy the guy a few beers for his effort...

It is refreshing to see a bargain such as this... What I liked about their first airport was the custom mesh - the airport environment wasn't just a flat plate like so many are - really added some visual interest for me - looking at the screenshot it looks like they continued the tradition...

Regards,
Scott

• Like 1

Great find Scott, looks like a little gem and that price is hard to beat.

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

Hi Folks,

As I for one - truly like to get off the beaten track - TAG - has another entry in their "Mountain Empire" regions of Virginia - Country Roads - take me home...

These are little GA gems that I truly enjoy and the modeling effort is top shelf... One of my favorite features is the super hi-res mesh - the airport environs aren't flat... The $5.00 price tag can't be beat...

To Recap:

Lee County (0VG)
0vg_03.png

Twin County (KHLX)
hlx_slider_07.jpg

And now Grundy for the want-a-be carrier pilots:

Grundy (KGDY)
1.jpg

Regards,
Scott

• Like 1