Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Majestic Q400 - Utilization of 2D panels

3 hours ago, FS++ said:

Thanks for feedback.

Because MCE is multithreaded, the simulated clicks are actually queued.

Try this new dll

Timings have been adjusted to ensure the whole process of popping-up the 2D panel, simulating click and closing panel reliably doesn't take more than half a second per click.

It wouldn't be right to ask users to insert 5 seconds pauses for that purpose.

With the new dll the "engine intake doors" commands work fine now.

But the problem with the scripts leading to a freeze of P3D unfortunately persists.

This is part of my after start flow:

[SCRIPT]
nose wheel steering on
yaw damper on
anti skid on
pause=5
autofeather arm
pause=5
left fuel pump on
right fuel pump on
standby hydraulic pump on
pause=5
hydraulic ptu on
left mfd set to nav
right mfd set to nav

With the three "pause=5" entries it works fine.

When I remove (or shorten) any of the pauses P3D freezes after executing the command before the (removed or shortened) pause.

Apart from a possible timing issue, this issue should never lead to a freeze of P3D which cannot be recovered. The worst thing that should happen is that the command is not executed. Actually I don't think that I ever experienced MCE crashing the sim before :-0.

In case you cannot reproduce this issue let me know if you need more information about my setup.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, RALF9636 said:

With the new dll the "engine intake doors" commands work fine now.

But the problem with the scripts leading to a freeze of P3D unfortunately persists.

This is part of my after start flow:

[SCRIPT]
nose wheel steering on
yaw damper on
anti skid on
pause=5
autofeather arm
pause=5
left fuel pump on
right fuel pump on
pause=5
hydraulic ptu on
left mfd set to nav
right mfd set to nav

With the three "pause=5" entries it works fine.

When I remove (or shorten) any of the pauses P3D freezes after executing the command before the (removed or shortened) pause.

Apart from a possible timing issue, this issue should never lead to a freeze of P3D which cannot be recovered. The worst thing that should happen is that the command is not executed. Actually I don't think that I ever experienced MCE crashing the sim before :-0.

In case you cannot reproduce this issue let me know if you need more information about my setup.

Haven't been able to replicate.

Having said that, identified one area that needed strengthening.

Uploaded new file. Same link as above. dll version is V1.0.4.1

It seems that the freezes only occur when the script is set to verbose=0.

Apart from that I restructured all my scripts in a way that the problematic commands are all separated by non-problematic commands. So all my scripts are now working without any freezes.

So I successfully worked around the issue. So if nobody else has this problem, for my sake you can just leave it at that.

4 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

Apart from that I restructured all my scripts in a way that the problematic commands are all separated by non-problematic commands. So all my scripts are now working without any freezes.

So I successfully worked around the issue. So if nobody else has this problem, for my sake you can just leave it at that.

OK, thanks.

Two commands I found not working properly:

"Yaw damper off" does not do anything, but instead "Yaw damper on" toggles it on and off, i.e. if yaw damper is already on "Yaw damper on" turns it off.

The same for "Transponder on". It does not do anything but "Transponder standby" toggles it between standby and on. If already in standby "Transponder standby" turns it on.

Apart from that flying the Q400 with my MCE-FO is a joy!

On 22.2.2018 at 6:03 PM, RALF9636 said:

Unfortunately I have to bring this up again.

The freeze also occurs when the FO sets a COM frequency (automatically, while talking to PF3) while a script is running and one of the problematic 2D-panel-commands is due right before or after the interjected frequency change.

After not flying the Dash 8 for a few months (been away combat flying!:laugh:)  I just saw this thread and downloaded the above dll 1.0.4.1.

Wow! Everything works now!:ohmy: The Mjc Dash 8 is now fully functional for me. I last flew it when I had to manually select these items, now they function 100% in a flow! Those flat panel switches are integrated. The 2d panel opens and closes so quickly its barely visible and not at all intrusive (I have 0% transparency set!)

The FO "altitude select" after each new altitude input is a nice surprise!

I am on P3dv4.1. Windows 7 Pro. I have the latest 1.20a Mjc Dash 8, so its fully patched up to current 64 bit. However, I am still using Radar Contact v4.

The freezes mentioned by Ralph are not evident in RC4. I am using the "Your Comms" selection, so the FO automatically selects the next frequency.  However, there is something a bit odd with this, since the ARCDU, the Com 1 Mode and the frequencies in the FMC Tune menu are not showing the new frequency? Yet FO communicates with each controller just fine. Some sort of FO magic at work here?

The commands work without any pauses in the script, in any order;

nose wheel steering on
yaw damper on
anti skid on
autofeather arm
left fuel pump on
right fuel pump on
hydraulic ptu on
left mfd set to nav/fuel/electrical/engine/doors/all
right mfd set to nav/fuel/electrical/engine/doors/all

Finally, a cautionary note! I asked for two commands in quick succession. "Set flight level 100" then "vertical speed select". P3d Crashed To Desktop? This CTD occurred whist a 2d window was open.

ReportDescription=A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
EvSig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[0].Value=Prepar3D.exe
Sig[1].Name=Application Version
Sig[1].Value=4.1.7.22841
Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
Sig[2].Value=59d67e95
Sig[3].Name=Hang Signature
Sig[3].Value=cca7
Sig[4].Name=Hang Type
Sig[4].Value=517entType=AppHangB1

I surmise that caution is needed when trying to do things too quickly? Best to wait for the 2d window to close and action has ended before initiating a new action.

Best regards

3 hours ago, charlie130 said:

After not flying the Dash 8 for a few months (been away combat flying!:laugh:)  I just saw this thread and downloaded the above dll 1.0.4.1.

Wow! Everything works now!:ohmy: The Mjc Dash 8 is now fully functional for me. I last flew it when I had to manually select these items, now they function 100% in a flow! Those flat panel switches are integrated. The 2d panel opens and closes so quickly its barely visible and not at all intrusive (I have 0% transparency set!)

Indeed, it's great to have a fully functional Q400 now!

I have transparency set to 90 %. I have also reduced the size of the 2D panels and moved them all to position 5 = lower left corner. That way I normally don't even notice these windows when they open. But when I look at them purposely I can still see them. The advantage is that I know if my FO is busy and I should not move the mouse. Also I had it happening that a 2d window did not close (probably because I moved the mouse) which led to a mess of wrong commands in consequence - which I couldn't notice with a transparency of 100%, so I went for 90 %.

The freezes mentioned by Ralph are not evident in RC4.

Neither are they "evident" in PF3. It took me maybe 50 flights until a situation arose where the FO set a frequency exactly at that "wrong" moment.

I am using the "Your Comms" selection, so the FO automatically selects the next frequency.  However, there is something a bit odd with this, since the ARCDU, the Com 1 Mode and the frequencies in the FMC Tune menu are not showing the new frequency? Yet FO communicates with each controller just fine. Some sort of FO magic at work here?

Do you have the ARCDU Switch set to "FMS"?

The commands work without any pauses in the script, in any order;

nose wheel steering on
yaw damper on
anti skid on
autofeather arm
left fuel pump on
right fuel pump on
hydraulic ptu on
left mfd set to nav/fuel/electrical/engine/doors/all
right mfd set to nav/fuel/electrical/engine/doors/all

Do you have verbose on or off in your script? I only have the freezes with verbose=0.

Finally, a cautionary note! I asked for two commands in quick succession. "Set flight level 100" then "vertical speed select". P3d Crashed To Desktop? This CTD occurred whist a 2d window was open.

ReportDescription=A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
EvSig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[1].Name=Application Version
Sig[1].Value=4.1.7.22841
Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
Sig[2].Value=59d67e95
Sig[3].Name=Hang Signature
Sig[3].Value=cca7
Sig[4].Name=Hang Type
Sig[4].Value=517entType=AppHangB1

I surmise that caution is needed when trying to do things too quickly? Best to wait for the 2d window to close and action has ended before initiating a new action.

I suspect this might be the same freeze I experience. Does the mouse pointer over the 2D panel turn into the blue circle and P3D stops working as soon as you click the mouse?

Edited by RALF9636

36 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Indeed, it's great to have a fully functional Q400 now!

I have transparency set to 90 %. I have also reduced the size of the 2D panels and moved them all to position 5 = lower left corner. That way I normally don't even notice these windows when they open. But when I look at them purposely I can still see them. The advantage is that I know if my FO is busy and I should not move the mouse. Also I had it happening that a 2d window did not close (probably because I moved the mouse) which led to a mess of wrong commands in consequence - which I couldn't notice with a transparency of 100%, so I went for 90 %.

Neither are they "evident" in PF3. It took me maybe 50 flights until a situation arose where the FO set a frequency exactly at that "wrong" moment.

Do you have verbose on or off in your script? I only have the freezes with verbose=0.

I suspect this might be the same freeze I experience. Does the mouse pointer over the 2D panel turn into the blue circle and P3D stops working as soon as you click the mouse?

Hi Ralph.

Well I have just had an enjoyable couple of flights...Apart fro two CTD's!!!!!:blink: One caused by me asking for two things at once. The second was my good old friend RC4!!!!:angry: On approach to Cardiff he decided to interfere with my enjoyment!

You questions;

YES.

Do you have verbose on or off in your script?

Yes. Always have verbose on.

Yes. But that blue circle stuff usually precedes any CTD for me.

Seemingly my old RC4 is the culprit for todays arrest warrant! He ruined my afternoon on approach, after a nice round robin flight. EGHI...EGNH...(Blackpool Rock!)...EGHH. I've seen this before with RC4, aw well, it is an archaic program, with some annoying characteristics. However going tits up also brings down P3d as well!:gaul:   I may try your PF3??

P3d;

EventType=AppHangB1
EventTime=131659517295418226
ReportType=3
Consent=1
ReportIdentifier=654bf458-2b95-11e8-bcaf-14dda9e204be
IntegratorReportIdentifier=654bf459-2b95-11e8-bcaf-14dda9e204be
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Application Name

and RC4;

EventType=AppHangXProcB1
EventTime=131659516858023208
ReportType=3
Consent=1
ReportIdentifier=4b39d60e-2b95-11e8-bcaf-14dda9e204be
IntegratorReportIdentifier=4b39d60f-2b95-11e8-bcaf-14dda9e204be
WOW64=1
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[0].Value=rcv4.exe

Best regards

Hi David,

just for testing purposes would you try that script (or similar)

nose wheel steering on
yaw damper on
anti skid on
autofeather arm
left fuel pump on
right fuel pump on
hydraulic ptu on

with verbose=0?

Can you reproduce my freeze / CTD (I called it freeze because it does not immediately close P3D but freezes first)?

My ARCDU and FMS always show the correct frequencies, strange yours doesn't.

PF3 really plays very nice together with MCE by now. I never used RC4 so I cannot make a comparison.

There is a demo version of PF3, just give it a try (but be aware, the limited voices that come with the demo are not the best ones - don't judge the quality of the voices by the demo, most of the full version voices are better). You are welcome to join the PF3 support forum with any questions or issues.

Regards

Ralf

Hi Ralf.

I will try the flows again tomorrow, with Verbose off. (have to limit my screen time due to my tired old eyes!) I leave verbose on so I know for sure the FO is executing my flow and during that time, I don't touch anything else or try to PTT. I know MCE is multithreaded but try to avoid spaghetti?

The functionality of MCE with the Dash 8 is now superb. It breathes new life into the sim and permits a full range of complex flows to be implemented!:cool: The Dash 8 is new made over again! A true complex sim that actually feels like it's flying.

The "freeze" (mouse cursor spinning) is P3d "hanging". It's a horrible experience. I see occasional "hangs" that last a couple of seconds but mostly recover if the sim is left alone. These critical hangs are a PITA. I never see MCE in Appcrashview causing P3d to CTD. It's usually some clandestine source?

I am running RC4 in "your comms" mode, the FO replies and changes freqs himself. Normally I see the freqs change with other simulations. I just noticed today, in the Dash, the numbers remained the same, 118.00 on FMS Tune, comm standby and ARCDU? 

I have been thinking about PF3 for a while. I tried the demo a year ago and it kept crashing, so gave up.

Cheers.

21 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

Hi David,

just for testing purposes would you try that script (or similar)

nose wheel steering on
yaw damper on
anti skid on
autofeather arm
left fuel pump on
right fuel pump on
hydraulic ptu on

with verbose=0?

Can you reproduce my freeze / CTD (I called it freeze because it does not immediately close P3D but freezes first)?

My ARCDU and FMS always show the correct frequencies, strange yours doesn't.

PF3 really plays very nice together with MCE by now. I never used RC4 so I cannot make a comparison.

There is a demo version of PF3, just give it a try (but be aware, the limited voices that come with the demo are not the best ones - don't judge the quality of the voices by the demo, most of the full version voices are better). You are welcome to join the PF3 support forum with any questions or issues.

Regards

Ralf

Hello Ralf.

I have flown 5 flights this afternoon.

Four flights CTD P3d with Verbose off! (Verbose=0)

With Verbose Off, there is something going wrong with P3d and I get an App Hang (freeze) error and a CTD of P3d. There is no other conflict described in AppCrashView, just AppHangB1.

It makes no difference if I set pauses or not. Nor does it make any difference where I put the flow commands. With Verbose Off, it doesn't like it!

I had one CTD with Verbose On, when I was trying to set a switch during an open 2d window. I take this as my error. I think, during the flows, the PF has to drink his coffee and leave the controls alone!:laugh:

So Verbose On is stable for me. I have left the transparency of the windows and their size as default.

Hope that helps you a bit. I have the AppCrashView logs for what they are worth?

Regards

David

Edited by charlie130
Clarity

Thanks for reporting. Now we know that it is not something special to my system and hopefully the devs will look at it and sort it out. 

57 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Thanks for reporting. Now we know that it is not something special to my system and hopefully the devs will look at it and sort it out. 

I have e mailed support.

Since I always fly with verbose on, I would never have noticed this. I enjoy listening to my first officer, Kath from Cereproc, she's a California girl!:biggrin:

I take it you have tried with Verbose on and get the same results, that is, stable flows? If that's the case then we have verified the cause on two separate systems?

Regards.

10 hours ago, charlie130 said:

I have e mailed support.

Since I always fly with verbose on, I would never have noticed this. I enjoy listening to my first officer, Kath from Cereproc, she's a California girl!:biggrin:

I take it you have tried with Verbose on and get the same results, that is, stable flows? If that's the case then we have verified the cause on two separate systems?

Regards.

Affirmative. With verbose=1 I have no freezes / CTDs.