Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Caribbean Trek - Day 4 - Indy to Ft Myers

2018-2-3_9-56-0-640-L.jpg

Going through checklists and allowing my seven guests to get settled.  It’s a long flight to Ft Myers.

2018-1-26_10-41-39-920-L.jpg

Off KIND from Rwy 14 (okay! Snow will be back in next shot)!

2018-1-26_10-51-54-590-L.jpg

Over south Central Indiana and Lake Monroe, near my alma mater, Indiana University, in Bloomington, Indiana.

2018-1-26_11-9-36-995-L.jpg

Over the Ohio River and Louisville, Kentucky, with Louisville International Airport-Standiford Field (KSDF) just ahead.

2018-1-26_11-53-31-795-L.jpg

Approaching the Tennessee River and the impressive Great Depression Era Tennessee Valley Authority water conservation projects near Chattanooga, Tennessee.  They are quite something to see, even on the ground.  Some of the clearest inland water I have ever seen.

2018-1-26_12-24-47-397-L.jpg

Over Dobbins Air Reserve Base at Marietta, Georgia, with the city of Atlanta ahead at 10 o’clock.  You can begin to see the expanse of KATL farther ahead in the distance, just to the left of 12 o’clock.

2018-1-26_13-55-11-739-L.jpg

Well into our descent from cruise altitude while passing the Tampa Bay area of Florida.

2018-1-26_14-29-0-800-L.jpg

Spectacular views of Estero Island and Estero Bay on the downwind leg of our approach into Ft Myers Page Field.

2018-1-26_14-33-27-990-L.jpg

Passing beautiful Sanibel Island, turning to final.

2018-2-3_12-4-8-951-L.jpg

Holding on the ramp at Page Field (KFMY) at Ft Myers.  I will be dropping the F406 Caravan II off and shuffling our gear over to an aircraft more suited to our "dive" on down into the Caribbean.  A C208 Grand Caravan!  Only problem is we still do not know if the C208 is here yet.  It is reserved from a company in Lakeland, Florida.  Trying to contact them to make sure it's here, and where, before we get directed to general parking.

This is a freeware airport, part of a set that also includes SW Florida Regional (KRSW)..

Trico%20Shrimp-M.jpg

No dining out tonight.  Will spend a couple of days gathering provisions for the trip from here to the islands.  We stay these couple of days at our Kansas couple’s condo here in Ft. Myers.  They are treating us tonight at the condo.  We stopped at a famous shrimp & seafood house, the Trico Shrimp Company, to pick up fresh pink gulf shrimp, fresh gulf redfish, and the obligatory key lime pie! 

(Not doing gulf bay blue crab here. Our home blue crab in Maryland, from brackish water, is just too far superior!)

• Upvote 3

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Key Lime Pie looks good to me....can't believe how Florida has grown over the years....geeat looking screenshots love the details!

HLJAMES

Frank, where in the Caribbean are you headed? Do me a favor, try and visit my friends down in TIST airport - heck, I can meet you there with my NGX!

Love the series, looking forward to next update.

Rob

1 hour ago, Bob Marton said:

Frank, where in the Caribbean are you headed? Do me a favor, try and visit my friends down in TIST airport - heck, I can meet you there with my NGX!

Love the series, looking forward to next update.

Rob

Bob,
Headed to Georgetown, Grand Cayman Island.  Spending most of the time there.  From there we will make a jaunt to Montego Bay, Jamaica, for a couple of days, another jaunt for two days at Cancan and a day in Cozumel before returning to Cayman.  We will then make another trip to Jamaica, this time to Kingston, and while there I will, as co-pilot, join a relief flight from Kingston to either Ponce or Mayagúes, Puerto Rico, with a Super Cargomaster.

We will also make a couple of day trips over to Cayman Brec.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Well, I guess our paths may not cross. I will be watching for the next in your updates. Enjoy!

Bob

2 minutes ago, Bob Marton said:

Well, I guess our paths may not cross. I will be watching for the next in your updates. Enjoy!

Bob

Hey. Take the gauntlet and capture some screens and post. It adds a dimension to flying.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Nice pics! I'm hoping to get to fort Myers someday.  I've been to sanibel twice and it was amazing. The best part was searching for shells.  Not sure if it's still good after all the hurricanes but I'd love to go again.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I am enjoying this series. The west coast of Florida is semi home to me so this one hit me in the feels. 

14 minutes ago, RyInTheSky said:

I am enjoying this series. The west coast of Florida is semi home to me so this one hit me in the feels. 

Ryan,
The previous two generations in my family spent retirement years in Polk County as citrus growers. I spent a lot of time in the Haines City and Lakeland areas. The groves were about three miles north of I-4 and fronted on US 27.  Development and the associated zoning restrictions robbed my generation of any opportunity to continue the tradition.  I do still have Florida in my heart!

Also in my role in dealer network development for a major auto and motorcycle manufacturer spent considerable time in Charlotte County/Punta Gorda area researching opportunities to place a motorcycle dealer.  Never won the day as the age demographics worked against me.  Did get to scour the area from Punta Gorda down to what? Florida City was it? That was now 15 years ago.  Now I too am retired. But I still ride.....

Many of my neighbors here on the eastern shore of Maryland winter on the west coast of Florida, from St. Pete down to Ft Myers.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Thanks for the nice trip Frank.  Beautiful shots but those lobsters steal the show.  :biggrin:

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

11 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Nice pics! I'm hoping to get to fort Myers someday.  I've been to sanibel twice and it was amazing. The best part was searching for shells.  Not sure if it's still good after all the hurricanes but I'd love to go again.

Ryan I live across the river from Fort Myers. We got through Hurricane Irma pretty well, although nearby areas like Marco Island and Everglades City were hit very bad. Give me a shout if you make it back down this way.

Bob

7 hours ago, Bob Marton said:

Frank, as soon I can find an easy way to post photos here, I will do so. What do you use?

bob

I have a Smugmug account.  Costs me about $80/year.  I use it for a photo hobby as well.  I have Amazon Prime (no extra cost) also, but cannot get the bbcode from there that Avsim requires here.  

Anyone else figure a way to use Amazon Prime stored images.

Frank Patton
ASUS