Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

P3Dv4.1 - how to setup VR?

How do I get VR to work with P3Dv4.1? Before I could activate VR from the view popup window but now there is no VR selection in that window anymore. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

In P3Dv4.1 there should be a menu at the top right labeled "Virtual Reality" where you can enable/disable VR.  Also, when you right-click the screen, there should be an option for VR views:

i7Q8BT4.jpg

If you don't see these entries, something may have modified your cameras.cfg file.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

I cannot get that section. I have deleted my camera config and main config and still cannot get VR. I also downloaded and installed all new V4.1 and still nothing.

Here is the header I get:

Capture1-L.png

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

In the startup section of your prepar3d.cfg file do you have these two settings?

LoadVirtualReality=1
EnableVirtualRealityOnStartup=1

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Yes I have both of those set at 1.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I think Prepar3D has to see that you have a VR system installed as it starts up - maybe there is some Registry item that it looks at. I have an Oculus Rift myself and I also have Steam installed for other VR flight sims like Aerofly FS2 and Combat Air Patrol 2. All I do then is do a normal startup without VR enabled, then use the above mentioned VR Tab to enable it and then hit a key or joystick button to establish the eyepoint (it's called HMD - Recalibrate Origin). I would register your question/problem on the Lockheed Martin Prepar3D website:

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6312

Also, when you have it basically working, make sure you setup your SuperSampling to at least 1.5 with Oculus Tray Tool - otherwise Prepar3d.exe VR clarity will be less.

Dave W.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Do you have a camera addon like EZ-dok (EZCA) or chase plane?  Are you using a Rift or Vive?

My last shot - in the new cameras.cfg that P3D built, do you have these VR Camera entries?

[CameraDefinition.019]
Title = VR Cockpit
Guid = {3E7A2D8D-563C-4D36-9F95-B0F637F53677}
Description = Cockpit view using a VR Headset.
Origin = Cockpit
ShowPanel = No
SnapPbhAdjust = Ordinal
SnapPbhReturn = True
PanPbhAdjust = Ordinal
PanPbhReturn = True
Track = None
ShowAxis = FrontOnly
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 1.0
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = FALSE
ShowLensFlare = TRUE
Category = VirtualReality
HmdType = VR
CycleHidden = Yes

[CameraDefinition.020]
Title = VR Virtual Cockpit
Guid = {C69C6771-EB1F-4346-ADD7-0F8910277CE3}
Description = Virtual Cockpit view using a VR Headset.
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Ordinal
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Ordinal
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.7
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = FALSE
ShowLensFlare = FALSE
PitchPanRate = 30
HeadingPanRate = 75
PanAcceleratorTime = 0
HmdType = VR
CycleHidden = Yes

@warbirds,

Tell us about your PC specs and your VR goggles installation - it will help us. I imagine you are running Windows 10. What other VR apps do you have that work fine?

So when you get it working, like I said, use Oculus Tray Tool to improve image clarity, set ClipMode=minimum in camera.cfg (camera 20) so real close scenery won't clip off, try using FXAA=off, AA = 4xSSAA in Graphics Options - and then for fun, fly the Sikorsky MH-60K Black Hawk 160th SOAR ND (no doors) in the Grand Canyon with Bluesky freeware scenery for Arizona like the 1G4 area of http://www.blueskyscenery.com/AZ.html

See you soon!

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

1 hour ago, Gridley said:

My last shot - in the new cameras.cfg that P3D built, do you have these VR Camera entries?

[CameraDefinition.019]
Title = VR Cockpit
Guid = {3E7A2D8D-563C-4D36-9F95-B0F637F53677}
Description = Cockpit view using a VR Headset.
Origin = Cockpit
ShowPanel = No
SnapPbhAdjust = Ordinal
SnapPbhReturn = True
PanPbhAdjust = Ordinal
PanPbhReturn = True
Track = None
ShowAxis = FrontOnly
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 1.0
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = FALSE
ShowLensFlare = TRUE
HmdType = VR
CycleHidden = Yes

[CameraDefinition.020]
Title = VR Virtual Cockpit
Guid = {C69C6771-EB1F-4346-ADD7-0F8910277CE3}
Description = Virtual Cockpit view using a VR Headset.
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Ordinal
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Ordinal
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.7
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = FALSE
ShowLensFlare = FALSE
PitchPanRate = 30
HeadingPanRate = 75
PanAcceleratorTime = 0
HmdType = VR
CycleHidden = Yes

I did not have those lines in my camera config so added them. I now get the VR section in the  popup but not in the top header. It also still does not work. This is very odd because all this worked a month ago. I did have a recent windows 10 update and wonder if that did something?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

13 minutes ago, whitav8 said:

@warbirds,

Tell us about your PC specs and your VR goggles installation - it will help us. I imagine you are running Windows 10. What other VR apps do you have that work fine?

So when you get it working, like I said, use Oculus Tray Tool to improve image clarity, set ClipMode=minimum in camera.cfg (camera 20) so real close scenery won't clip off, try using FXAA=off, AA = 4xSSAA in Graphics Options - and then for fun, fly the Sikorsky MH-60K Black Hawk 160th SOAR ND (no doors) in the Grand Canyon with Bluesky freeware scenery for Arizona like the 1G4 area of http://www.blueskyscenery.com/AZ.html

See you soon!

Win 10, Project Cars and Elite Dangerous and all the added Oculus apps work.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Warbird...I had this happen to me once.  The solution was to reinstall my NVIDIA video driver.  

Have no no idea why it happened but that resolved it for me. 

Hope this helps. 

Jason

please let me know how it works out

On 2/6/2018 at 3:16 PM, whitav8 said:

@warbirds,

See you soon!

The Clipmode modification is new to me can you explain a little more what it does and will it effect 2D flying?

i have been using FlyInside as my preferred choice and created new camera definition entries with HotKeySelect assignments to enable custom views even outside. The Clipmode I haven’t come across.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

@joepoway,

The clipmode=minimum entry in the VR virtual cockpit camera just allows for items that are very close to the eyepoint to not get clipped away. An example is when looking out the doorway and down at the ground of the SOAR no-door MH-60 helicopter - without that setting, you see too much ground and not the edges of the door. Also, when you look up in VR mode and your head is close to the top of the aircraft, you might see right through the top as if you were outside. It could slightly affect the appearance of things in the far distance but I haven't noticed it.

Dave W.

13 hours ago, whitav8 said:

@joepoway,

The clipmode=minimum entry in the VR virtual cockpit camera just allows for items that are very close to the eyepoint to not get clipped away. An example is when looking out the doorway and down at the ground of the SOAR no-door MH-60 helicopter - without that setting, you see too much ground and not the edges of the door. Also, when you look up in VR mode and your head is close to the top of the aircraft, you might see right through the top as if you were outside. It could slightly affect the appearance of things in the far distance but I haven't noticed it.

Dave W.

“Posted January 17, 2017 · Report post

Clipmode=minimum  Is not appropriate for VC views. It's a cheap trick to improve FPS in the VC but the end result is a bunch of flashing textures and Z-fighting in the scenery outside the VC.

Clipmode = minumum is for OUTSIDE views of the aircraft where the scenery is not the main focus but the aircraft is, as it clips the textures in a very short bubble around the aircraft.

Can you guys please remove this setting from your camera view it is not right per the SDK. It's really bad with ORBX scenery.I'm really shocked that you guys copied this hack from Ezdok. it is not good. I spent a month trying to find out why P3D was having all these Z-fighting issues and flickering. “

Hi Dave

The above comment was posted on the ChasePlane forum and I was wondering if you have noticed any of these issues that convinced CP to delete the minimum setting? Keven from CP responded, agreed and made the change.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2