HighBypass

Congratulations SpaceX !!

Hope they have some good windscreen cover on their insurance when the Tesla gets to the asteroid belt. Risk of stone chips/cracks could be quite high! :dry:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Here's an amateur feed of the booster landings from a little ways away. Gives you a better sense of the speed of those things on their approach...

• Upvote 2

I am very excited about this, and like others have said, I got goose bumps when the 2 boosters landed side by side.  Reality straight out of a sci-fi movie for sure.  At my age (59) I never imagined I would ever see such a thing!

One curious observation.  In the Starman / Tesla pictures and video, why don't we see stars in the background?

Thanks for any insight!

-WB

PS to greggerm - thanks for sharing that video!!!

• Upvote 1

Stars are way too faint to be seen with a camera exposure setting that enables you to see the StarMan, car and Earth properly.

• Upvote 1

That's what gets all the moon landing hoaxers in a froth... Where are the stars? :happy:

Yes I showed these videos to my colleague and she didn't believe any of it was real. A car floating away from earth looks fake and the way the boosters landed... it seemed all special effects to her. I got more into it with her behind the technology and yes it is real, just seems surreal when you first see it

If the earth wasn't flat, those two SpaceX boosters would have tipped over when they landed.

• Upvote 1

That landing sequence has to be the most science-fictiony thing I've ever seen... I was actually completely unaware of the whole thing until I saw a brief mention on the BBC that the launch had been delayed but now would go ahead in about an hour's time. So I found the livestream online and watched it from there. Great footage - and, whoha! Is he really sending a car up to space! Nice touch and some cool product placement! Oh, ok! Don't Panic! Yep, that's neat. Can probably turn off now. But wait.. They are showing the boosters coming down - so, ok - the landing parachutes should be coming up soon and then we might even see them splash down in the sea.

Just a minute...

They are actually doing what!?!

*mind blown*

Cheers

Mallard

The coolest thing (a shipboard landing of the main booster) just missed.

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

just missed

by 384 feet...

And all due to the lack of curvature of the earth.😉

15 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

And all due to the lack of curvature of the earth.😉

Didn't it fall off the edge of that last poly ? :laugh:

Regards

Bill

• Upvote 2

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, Jim Young said:

by 384 feet...

In retrospect, that was a definite PLUS! As it was, debris from the destruction knocked out two of the barge's engines... :bengong:

"SpaceX’s successful test launch of the Roadster aboard the Falcon Heavy was less an ad for that rocket than a preview of its planned successor — a booster so stupendous and absurdly powerful that SpaceX CEO Elon Musk calls it “BFR,” for Big F---ing Rocket."

• Upvote 1

Actually, the official and polite form is "Big Falcon Rocket..." :biggrin:

I liked the concept of that car floating around up there for 30,000 years or so thinking wouldn't it be cool if someone discovered it centuries from now, but apparently the suns radiation and solar storms will break it down over time. I read the leather seats will last about a year and the interior and upholstery will be the first to break down from the radiation, next will be the carbon fiber panels as they won't stand up to radiation either, eventually what will be left will be the metal components and even that could break apart over time. It wasn't really designed for space travel. Oh well :cool:

On 11/02/2018 at 3:24 AM, Adrian123 said:

"SpaceX’s successful test launch of the Roadster aboard the Falcon Heavy was less an ad for that rocket than a preview of its planned successor — a booster so stupendous and absurdly powerful that SpaceX CEO Elon Musk calls it “BFR,” for Big F---ing Rocket."

...and it is certainly, that. My awe for this achievement is actually attempting it in the first place. THEN! achieving it. My interest will be in the percentage of unsuccessful/successful launches. On its own, this is an amazing breakthrough.

On 09/02/2018 at 11:45 AM, Adrian123 said:

Let us not forget. The earth is flat also.

It is where I live. Fact is, I've never been anywhere else but its flat here.

Tesla in space is spectacular. But that adds another debris. Even more cool would be to orbit Tesla's roadster around Mars, until a manned mars crew gives it a little boost towards sun where it would burn up.

22 minutes ago, mike4 said:

Tesla in space is spectacular. But that adds another debris. Even more cool would be to orbit Tesla's roadster around Mars, until a manned mars crew gives it a little boost towards sun where it would burn up.

I'm no great fan of Tesla but Musk and his genius must be recognised for his achievements, alone. He is the right man for the right time. God show him the way.

49 minutes ago, mike4 said:

I've always been a fan of orbiting heat shields that protect the vehicle on re-entry (its like a glove around the craft) Once the craft enters the heat shield (docking in space) ie. the heat shield is a spacecraft, specifically designed to re-enter earth's atmosphere and cocoon a much lighter vehicle, less well equipped and re-usable with this new tech. Musk thinks outside the envelope. The heat shield just goes and lands where its told to. Welcome to the real Space Age.

At least the deteriorating Tesla is not a LEO piece of space debris, just an elliptical heliocentric one.