Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Prowse

tutorial not right

In setting up the FMC there are some issues. First, it says to select COORZ3 SID but this is not listed, instead there is a COORZ2. Second, in arrivals it lists to chose DYAMD3 STAR which is not even listed. This makes it rather difficult to follow along and learn this aircraft. I have found minor things like this in the 737 and 777 tutorials but it is usually a typo or one digit is wrong. This is missing completely. Is there an update or something? Thanks in advance. I am still trying to make the transition to tubes and navigation and setting up arrivals and programming autolands is very challenging and why I am practicing tutorial flights. I have not found flight plans I can just plug and play yet. thanks. 

From the tutorial it self

"The PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II includes the February 2017 navigation data cycle for the FMC from Navigraph by default (aka the “AIRAC 1702 cycle”), which was current at the time of this product’s initial release. Many simmers update their navdata each month through Navigraph’s service. The data does change over time and thus certain aspects of the route in this tutorial can end up changing with newer data. If you’re using a later navdata cycle you may see differences—just use your best judgment, things do not often change drastically and most terminal procedures will have a similar name if they’ve changed, often moving up one number or letter in the sequence (for example, the COORZ3 SID becomes the COORZ4 or similar). If you see a NAV DATA OUT OF DATE message on the CDU scratchpad upon loading the airplane, the older 1702 cycle included with the product is the reason why."

It seems you have older navdata installed in your system.

Also please real names are required in the forum to be placed under you post, we recommend to set a signature block so not to forget each time

• Upvote 1

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Since you said you have the 737 and the 777, you likely have older navigation data for it. When you installed the 747, it should have installed 1702, as Kyle states, BUT if it already detects that you have the older navigation data, it won't touch it. So you'll have to temporarily move your navigation data to your desktop or somewhere, then either run the repair option from the latest installer, or uninstall the plane, then re-install it. Once you do that, check to see if you have 1702, and if you do, you can go ahead and delete the navigation data that you just temporarily moved.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I installed the 737 first last August, 777 around September and 747 shortly after. I am not sure where the NAVDATA is placed but will look for it. If each uses a different version the tutorials of all three will never be right. I may just bite the bullet and subscribe to get the latest navdata and just run everything on the latest data. In setting up the 747 from KDEN to KSFO the missing DYAMD3 STAR does not have anything close to it to choose from. I fly mostly slow and low in Alaska but am challenged by the tubes and want to learn. I am also wanting to explore Vatsim and the next level of ATC interaction but I want to get the basics of navigating these big birds down first. I'm pretty comfortable adjusting the autopilot to other headings, altitudes and speeds and am pretty comfortable using vorloc and GS APP but the 747 is the most challenging. Doesn't help when I get to KSFO and ATC has me fly out 40 miles then changes my altitude up and down flying past again the other direction and then the other direction before I may get a clearance to actually land. Sitting at the runway to take off waiting forever to take off, I think they forget about me. The default ATC is pretty much garbage I think. 

My name is on my profile image but I added a signature? 

the only navigraph folder I have is in my program files x86/HiFi/AS_P3Dv4/NavigraphData/AS16 is this correct? inside the FMC_Ident.txt folder is says

[Ident]
NavData=AIRAC-1601
OpProgram=JAN07FEB03/16
CoData=JEP-1601

How do I go about getting a newer version and do I install it here? Not everyone runs AS4 but my navdata is here it looks like. Thanks

9 minutes ago, Chuck Prowse said:

I installed the 737 first last August, 777 around September and 747 shortly after. I am not sure where the NAVDATA is placed but will look for it. If each uses a different version the tutorials of all three will never be right. I may just bite the bullet and subscribe to get the latest navdata and just run everything on the latest data. In setting up the 747 from KDEN to KSFO the missing DYAMD3 STAR does not have anything close to it to choose from. I fly mostly slow and low in Alaska but am challenged by the tubes and want to learn. I am also wanting to explore Vatsim and the next level of ATC interaction but I want to get the basics of navigating these big birds down first. I'm pretty comfortable adjusting the autopilot to other headings, altitudes and speeds and am pretty comfortable using vorloc and GS APP but the 747 is the most challenging. Doesn't help when I get to KSFO and ATC has me fly out 40 miles then changes my altitude up and down flying past again the other direction and then the other direction before I may get a clearance to actually land. Sitting at the runway to take off waiting forever to take off, I think they forget about me. The default ATC is pretty much garbage I think. 

My name is on my profile image but I added a signature? 

Don't even bother with default ATC - it's useless.

Hey, Chuck, to answer your question, the 737, 747, and 777 all have different sets of navigation data, as the navigation data was current at the time those planes were released, and they were all released at different times. The most current would be the 747, having been released with AIRAC 1702. As for the navigation folder, the folder you've located would be correct for updating the navigation data for Active Sky. The PMDG planes have their own set of navigation data. If you go into your main simulator folder, go to PMDG, you'll see a Navdata folder. That's where your navigation data goes. If you update to the latest navigation data with Navigraph, you actually don't even need to necessarily know where the files need to go, since the installer will do it for you. So in your case, you'll want to install the Navigraph data for both Active Sky and PMDG, which are two separate installers. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

4 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

So in your case, you'll want to install the Navigraph data for both Active Sky and PMDG, which are two separate installers. Hope this helps.

Excuse me Kevin for word-smithing:  So in your case, you'll want to install the Navigraph data with their Data Manager for both Active Sky and PMDG, which are two separate data sets. Hope this helps. 

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks, I downloaded their manager and subscribed and got ARAC 1807 now all is good. You are absolutely correct, the 747 put me at something like ARAC 13 something! AS4 had 16 something. So now my navdata is updated and correct. I was able to program the 747 for a flawless flight to KSFO and can start playing with the FMC and autopilot now. Any suggestions for a good start ina virtual airline and vatsim? Seems a bit complicated to set up and get going but I think having good atc will make a big difference in my learning curve.

1 hour ago, Chuck Prowse said:

I think having good atc will make a big difference in my learning curve.

Please post when you find such a thing.  The best ATC I've found is in my head, others are fair to occasionally good but not consistent.  You really don't need ATC to become familiar with the aircraft.

Dan Downs KCRP

10 hours ago, downscc said:

Excuse me Kevin for word-smithing:  So in your case, you'll want to install the Navigraph data with their Data Manager for both Active Sky and PMDG, which are two separate data sets. Hope this helps. 

I've never actually used their data manager before, so I don't know how it works. I've always just done a manual install. When installing manually, the two separate data sets come in two different installers. As far as I'm concerned, what I said wasn't strictly wrong, it's just a different method of installing the data than what you've suggested.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

15 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

I've never actually used their data manager before, so I don't know how it works. I've always just done a manual install. When installing manually, the two separate data sets come in two different installers. As far as I'm concerned, what I said wasn't strictly wrong, it's just a different method of installing the data than what you've suggested.

Ah, that makes sense.  I've found their Data Manager to be mostly problem free, and it simplifies updating data for PMDG, Active Sky, PFPX and TOPCAT.  One button press....done.

Dan Downs KCRP

data manager and navigraph fixed most of my issues. Just updated to 1808 in fact. Very easy to update everything with one click as you said.