Sign in to follow this  
Max Sliders

Alternative to SPADNext?

Is there an alternative to SPADNext in order for two Saitek Radio Panels to function correctly in P3Dv4 with default and PMDG aircraft?  Since many months I've had nothing, but issues with SPADNext.  Sometimes one or both are shown as 'live' and operational within SPADNext, but what I end up with is that either one or both of the Saitek Radios will not come alive despite what SPADNext is showing me in.  On rare occasions, both have worked.  Sure as Avsim is the font of all flight sim knowledge, next time I launch, I have one (usually) or both not working.  Pulling my hair out over this and I'm hoping that someone has a solution!  I would be happy to hear if there are alternative radio products available as well that I can splash the cash on that does not require SPADNext.  That's how desperate it's become!

Thanks,

Max.

Hi Max

Yeah ... speak to Saitek and get them to develop a driver that actually works properly

Disgusting that they can get away with selling products that have issues and you have to end up purchasing third party software to make it work!

I parallel this with going out and buying an expensive TV and the supplied remote control doesn't work with it so you end up having to purchase an alternative ....

Would anyone accept that .. of course they wouldn't!

Paul 

• Upvote 1

Same problem here. All my Saitek modules are dark since moving to from FSX. The Logitech site is useless.. I have bought SpadNext which  is a pain to program compared to Spad5 which worked like a charm...

Edited by Curly
missing text

I can`t help a lot, just wondering if your units might have a hardware or connection problem. I`m using a Radio and Switch Panel with SPADnext since a year in P3Dv3 and v4 and it`s very reliable.

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

3 hours ago, Max Sliders said:

Is there an alternative to SPADNext in order for two Saitek Radio Panels to function correctly in P3Dv4 with default and PMDG aircraft?  Since many months I've had nothing, but issues with SPADNext.  Sometimes one or both are shown as 'live' and operational within SPADNext, but what I end up with is that either one or both of the Saitek Radios will not come alive despite what SPADNext is showing me in.  On rare occasions, both have worked.  Sure as Avsim is the font of all flight sim knowledge, next time I launch, I have one (usually) or both not working.  Pulling my hair out over this and I'm hoping that someone has a solution!  I would be happy to hear if there are alternative radio products available as well that I can splash the cash on that does not require SPADNext.  That's how desperate it's become!

Thanks,

Max.

In short answer to your actual question....  No, I don't believe there is an alternative that works any better or worse than Spad.neXt.

I bought Spad.neXt when it first launched, and had nothing but issues with it. Apart from perhaps eZdok, it was one of the least user friendly and unintuitive apps I'd ever seen for FS.  I had so many issues, the developer actually refunded my purchase.

A year or so later, and after experiencing MANY Saitek issues myself with P3Dv4, I decided to give it another try.  I do 'sometimes' experience some of the issues you describe, but it is, without doubt, considerably better than before.

Some of my Saitek problems appear to arise, based on which type of USB port I use on my PC.  Have you tried removing all USB peripherals, clearing out the USB 'database' and starting again?

I use a program called 'USBDeview' to clear out redundant USB data, and that seems to help a lot.

USBDeview (x86 and x64)

8 minutes ago, mikealpha said:

I can`t help a lot, just wondering if your units might have a hardware or connection problem. I`m using a Radio and Switch Panel with SPADnext since a year in P3Dv3 and v4 and it`s very reliable.

Mike

What is frustrating is that the panels were working prior to the latest P3D v4 updated version 4.1.7.22841.  I'm convinced the issue is SPADNext rather than P3D.  Whatever tech support at SPADNext suggests doesn't cure the issue.  I'm very much with Paul and Curly; it is not only shocking that Logotech doesn't sort out their own completely useless drivers, it's the fact that clearly, they do not feel it necessary to invest in any software development to get this very long running saga sorted.  Still, like many, I avoid ALL logitech products as a result.  Sort it Logitech and you might find it will have a positive impact on your business!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dougal said:

In short answer to your actual question....  No, I don't believe there is an alternative that works any better or worse than Spad.neXt.

I bought Spad.neXt when it first launched, and had nothing but issues with it. Apart from perhaps eZdok, it was one of the least user friendly and unintuitive apps I'd ever seen for FS.  I had so many issues, the developer actually refunded my purchase.

A year or so later, and after experiencing MANY Saitek issues myself with P3Dv4, I decided to give it another try.  I do 'sometimes' experience some of the issues you describe, but it is, without doubt, considerably better than before.

Some of my Saitek problems appear to arise, based on which type of USB port I use on my PC.  Have you tried removing all USB peripherals, clearing out the USB 'database' and starting again?

I use a program called 'USBDeview' to clear out redundant USB data, and that seems to help a lot.

USBDeview (x86 and x64)

Thanks Dougal,when I've time, I'll do just that and see if it helps.  I agree from what I've fathomed so far, is that the USB ports they are connected to can have an effect.  I've tried a couple similar remedies, but not as you suggested.  Cheers!

1 hour ago, Max Sliders said:

What is frustrating is that the panels were working prior to the latest P3D v4 updated version 4.1.7.22841.  I'm convinced the issue is SPADNext rather than P3D.  

Strange. I have 11 USB devices for FS, three of them Saitek and did not notice any difference with P3D version. I also use the 4.1. Version you mentioned.

SPADnext just works.

Did you try another Simconnect version ?

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

Also, remember if you pull out any USB connection and reinsert or place it into another connection you activate some sort of Win 10 power saving mode which can render the Logitech device inoperable.  I am typing off the top of my head but you would have to go into devices and reset each USB connection to disable the power-saving mode (hope I am getting this right). 

I too have two Logitech radio panels and have noticed the above issue can effect their operation.  I also have SPADneXt and had the same growing pains on how to set up correctly.  Actually I gave up on it over a year ago.  Keep telling myself I will give 'er a second try when I have time.  Looks like that won't be until I am in the grave, ha!.

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Hi Mike, Thanks, can you suggest a different version.  Not sure which one I'm using though! :-)  Just searched via File Explorer and found very many references to Simconnect.

Just now, mikealpha said:

Strange. I have 11 USB devices for FS, three of them Saitek and did not notice any difference with P3D version. I also use the 4.1. Version you mentioned.

SPADnext just works.

Did you try another Simconnect version ?

I haven't had any problems  with SpadNext but I did have a problem with my Saitek panels randomly not working .

This cured the problem for me:

1 - For all of my connected USB devices, went to Device manager, opened Properties and under Power Management  removed any check-marks next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

and

2 - Connected all of my Saitek panels to a powered USB hub.

....Lloyd

Agree with some of the other comments - the only problems I've had in P3D v4 and Saitek have to do with Windows USB power issues and the Saitek hardware, NOT SPAD.neXt.  I'm using the multi-panel, rado panel and switch panel with no issues since sorting out the USB power issues.  One other note - in addition to the Windows power management problems, the Saitek gear runs right on the ragged edge of USB power useage.  Step two (following Windows USB power management) in troubleshooting issues with the panels should always be the purchase and use of a high quality powered USB hub.  These are not terribly expensive and can really make a difference.

While I agree that SPAD isn't the most intuitive app on the planet, it is powerful and generally does its job.  I liked the simplicity of the old SPAD, but that's not an option for current P3D.

Scott

18 minutes ago, yankeegolf3 said:

Did you try the original SPAD driver, still available for free? It works for me.

Where can you find it?  I am having an issue now with LVAR errors from Spad:Next and the developer appears to have disappeared. No response to my support ticket of 12/21/2017, and few posts by him since early last fall.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

25 minutes ago, yankeegolf3 said:

Did you try the original SPAD driver, still available for free? It works for me.

In P3D v4?

Scott