Sign in to follow this  

nVidia 2070, 2080 and 2080Ti

Looks like several folks have spotted in-driver device references to nVidia's Volta based GPUs (GV104) for the "consumer market", no HBM2 (900GB/s) but will have DDR6 (768 GB/s).  Much higher GPU frequency than the Volta Titan V.  Pricing speculated at 2070 ??, 2080 $699, and 2080Ti $799.  No delays so release is expected no later than March.

As far as performance with drivers aimed at gaming, 132% increase over Pascal (DX and Vulkan).

Seems like good times ahead for lighting (PBR, Dynamic Lights) and VR in your simulator platform or platforms of choice.

Cheers, Rob.

Great news! I should start saving for the 2080 Ti 

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Maybe we'll get a 5+ ghz ice lake to go with it!

• Upvote 1

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

2 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

Hopefully by that time the bottom falls out of mining.

I hope so too, 2000$ for a GTX1080i card is currently ridiculous.  However, I have no idea how the new Volta will be available to us, without being snatched up first by deep pocket miners:angry:

• Upvote 1

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I got really like that I found my 1080 brand new for $545 after rebates. Now it is listed at $979.

Stupid crazy.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

That's indeed good news, Rob.  And the timing is excellent.  Sourcing all the components now for my new build.  Sure hope your pricing speculation holds.

Was at my local MicroCenter yesterday and the only 1080TI they had left was priced at $1200.  Just crazy.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

It is likely my only upgrade this year GPU ill stick with the 2080 the 2080ti would be overspend by the performance I'm getting at the moment with 1080 Pascal. as for a bigger upgrade I will wait till the new die and pin is released next year or later for CPU`s.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Tempted to sell my 1080ti now while it's still worth something, but it's probably smarter to wait and see. 

21 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Looks like several folks have spotted in-driver device references to nVidia's Volta based GPUs (GV104) for the "consumer market", no HBM2 (900GB/s) but will have DDR6 (768 GB/s).  Much higher GPU frequency than the Volta Titan V.  Pricing speculated at 2070 ??, 2080 $699, and 2080Ti $799.  No delays so release is expected no later than March.

As far as performance with drivers aimed at gaming, 132% increase over Pascal (DX and Vulkan).

Seems like good times ahead for lighting (PBR, Dynamic Lights) and VR in your simulator platform or platforms of choice.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,  Do you have a source on this?  Not that I don't believe you but wanted to read through the forums or article myself for curiosity sake.

Thanks,
Brian

52 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

Do you have a source on this?

I can give you his first name but not his last, Eric ... he's a auto racing buddy I used to race with in the past.  He's retired from nVidia now, but was fairly high up the executive chain, some of this info comes from one of his existing contacts within nVidia, other parts come from various sources across the web.

Hopefully I was clear on the "speculation" front.

Cheers, Rob.

14 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I can give you his first name but not his last, Eric ... he's a auto racing buddy I used to race with in the past.  He's retired from nVidia now, but was fairly high up the executive chain, some of this info comes from one of his existing contacts within nVidia, other parts come from various sources across the web.

Hopefully I was clear on the "speculation" front.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks, sorry didn't mean to sound like a troll.  You could have said "an industry friend" and I think we all would have trusted you :)  Will be exciting if we really do see 132% increase in performance.  The 1080ti feels just slightly behind where it needs to be for 4k. 

45 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

Thanks, sorry didn't mean to sound like a troll.

Nothing wrong with questioning sources, I do it all the time, I encourage it.

Personally I think the 132% increase is optimistic, but I'd rather stay positive about it, heck even 25-50% would be welcome.

Cheers, Rob.

I know that this is speculative at this point but I'm currently running a 6600k at 4.5GHZ and a GTX970. Would I see much of a performance boost going to one of these new cards or am I going to be bottlenecked by the older processor?

NAX669.png

12 hours ago, mwilk said:

I know that this is speculative at this point but I'm currently running a 6600k at 4.5GHZ and a GTX970. Would I see much of a performance boost going to one of these new cards or am I going to be bottlenecked by the older processor?

It all depends on how hard your existing CPU is actually working and what screen resolution you're using (or planning to use) - the 6600K, especially at 4.5GHz, is still a good processor. Monitor your individual core usage (not just the CPU average) when running the sim using something like MSI Afterburner. Depending on which sim you're using, if one core is at 100% most of the time, adding a new card is unlikely to improve things. If, on the other hand, your GPU is around 100% and the CPU is lower, then a new graphics card should make a difference. If your running at 1920x1080, your current setup should give good performance. Some people seem always to want the latest and greatest CPUs and GPUs when they're not fully utilising the hardware they already have.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit