Sign in to follow this  
Louis8

Polls on FSX

Lately, here and there i've been coming across  polls on those who use FSX,  P3D and now version 4 . I'm not talking about just one poll but have seen a few of them and looks like guys like me with just FSX are being left in the dark with something like only 9-10% are with FSX and everybody is P3d. And watching a tutorial video they were saying that basically eventually  barely no one will be on plain ol FSX . So what is the future of FSX ?

I'm booked for the conference in Vegas in June so I'll l really dig  into  it there..  

Hello Louis,  You are not alone, I have been using FSX in Windows7 since it came into being and I would not change it one little bit.  I feel that most complaints in the Forum are from members who seem to be changing from one operation system to another trying to achieve Utopia in flight sim.  The old saying if it aint broke why fix it.  Cheers. Richard Welsh

• Upvote 3

I really doubt that the use rate of FSX is as low as 9-10%. Most of the recent online polls that I've seen are pretty consistent in their results. Keep in mind also that these polls tend to overrepresent enthusiast users and underrepresent the casual Steam gamer.

P3d seems to have half the market, XP has about 25-30% and the remainder is almost all made up of FS9/FSX/FSX-SE. FSW and Aerofly FS2 are in the rounding error.

On steam FSX:SE the last 2 weeks user`s 85,000 that will not include boxed it`s still holding it`s own, I admit I still have it on my PC but have not used it for  some time due to the 32bit restraints. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

My FSX;SE is almost perfect. It would be perfect if setting higher autogen wouldn't kill FPS by such large margin. Other than that I get livid traffic, shadows, great birds to fly and nice looking scenery and everything in the 30+ fps territory.
I'm not switching till we get 5.5GHz+ cpus and all the quirks of P3D are fixed.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

5 minutes ago, 787WannabePilot said:

Until they fix the kinks in P3D

What kinks?

5 minutes ago, 787WannabePilot said:

For an upgrade, it is quite expensive.

It's not an upgrade. It's the commercial/training/edu platform of FSX.

FSX was the entertainment platform, and remained FSX/FSX:SE after being licensed
ESP was the parallel commercial/training/edu platform, and was rebranded as P3D after being licensed

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

I've too much invested in FSX to change. PMDG MD11, 747v3, 777-200 & 777-300ER. Aerosoft A320/321. Active Sky Next. All my add on scenery packages.

How on earth could I consider changing to a platform like P3D, with the expense involved, which is full of holes, and an expensive package I've no idea which to choose - student, professional, academic, developer etc, etc.

5 hours ago, Louis8 said:

Lately, here and there i've been coming across  polls on those who use FSX,  P3D and now version 4 . I'm not talking about just one poll but have seen a few of them and looks like guys like me with just FSX are being left in the dark with something like only 9-10% are with FSX and everybody is P3d. And watching a tutorial video they were saying that basically eventually  barely no one will be on plain ol FSX . So what is the future of FSX ?

I'm booked for the conference in Vegas in June so I'll l really dig  into  it there..  

Go in to bat for me, Louis. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' - as you Americans say.

Good luck.

Bernard Walford

I thought just like you guys until I gave in to my curiosity and got P3DV4 two weeks ago,now I'm a convert. You will be surprised at how many of your sceneries will cross over. I came to realize a lot of money I was putting into FSX was trying to make it into the sim P3DV4 is. What I payed since is a small upgrade cost for AS2016 , two repurchases on PMDG aircraft and a 64 bit FS2Crew NGX reboot. A few hundred dollars yes but I know by the end of this year I would have blown just as much on FSX add-ons. And you know what? I still have my FSX Steam installed with everything still on it if I want to use something I don't have in P3D. Yesterday I flew my QOTSII into FSDT KMEM and for the first time was able to land, taxi in and shut down without an OOM. Never could in FSX. I understand where you guys are coming from but believe me it is worth it if you're going to keep spending on simming.

Vic green

For me personally, I would need a new computer first before I could even consider running P3D V4. Trying to run it on this laptop is not going to be a good idea.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I'm on P3D4 and feeling fine. Simming has never been better (first sim was FS2 on Commodore 64).

David Porrett

Clearly you should expect devs to increasingly focus on other sims or to exclude features from FSX future releases. However, that does not mean that you shouldn't enjoy what you've got. Even if you were the only person on the planet still using FSX, would that make a difference if you enjoy it as it is? I heard there are still people using FS9... Just don't look on the other side of the grass too often and yours will look fine.

If you ever want to explore the capabilities of other sims, P3D, XP11, FSW and Aerofly2 will surely still be waiting for you!

As someone who used FSX boxed since it was released, then progressed to FSX:SE for awhile, making the jump to P3D was expensive. I first dipped my toe into P3D around v1.4 and decided it was at that time in my opinion inferior to my FSX set up so I never progressed with it.

I revisited P3D at version 3 and haven't looked back to FSX since. I now have P3D v4.1 running and for me I spend more time flying in it then I used to with FSX with the constant crashes and tweaking, 64 bit is also so nice to not have to have a VAS monitor running and always checking it to see if I will OOM on approach after a long haul flight.

Not sure what kinks and holes people are referring to with P3D. Anything not terribly right with it, it has inherited from its FSX heritage but with on going development I'm sure some of the legacy quirks will eventually be a thing of memory.

So the only downside with going to P3D is the expense and if like me you have a ton of addons then it took some serious investment and commitment to do. I can't say I blame developers for wanting to create products for a supported platform where they can open a dialogue with people working on it. Unfortunately the reality is that some developers are already looking at P3D addons only and this also helped to nudge me in this direction.

I have been a user of FSX from its release up to the release of P3Dv4.

FSX was great and the only downside to me was the 32bits limitations before I switched to P3Dv4 and discovered the performance improvement, the magic of the shadows in the cockpit and obviously not to have to worry about the VAS anymore.

I skipped P3D previous versions however as the key point that made me switch to P3D was mainly the 64bits compatibiliy.

• Upvote 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

One could talk about this until the cows come home, but in the end it's just a personal decision.

There are still people using FS2004, so if a particular sim does what you need then there is little reason to change. But as time marches on we'll see things in P3DV4 and V5 that you (or a developer) can't do with FSX.

If someone is flying payware airliners with payware airports, then for all intents and purposes you'll avoid the OOM issue with a 64-bit flight sim and you'll find both increased performance and better graphics due to DirectX 11 (P3DV5 should have DirectX 12, providing significantly better graphics.

FSX certainly isn't dead, but I can tell you from the developer side of things that more and more developers are dropping development of FSX in favor or P3D.  Until a few months ago I had FSX:SE, P3DV3 and P3DV4 installed so I could test products for the older flight sims, but I finally decided to remove them as I was rarefy booting them up.

There is certainly a cost to upgrade to many P3D aircraft, but with a few exceptions the scenery updates have been without cost.

As I opened with, this is merely a personal decision, and only you know if the benefits are worth the change.

Best wishes.

• Upvote 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.