Sign in to follow this  
Louis8

Polls on FSX

8 hours ago, Louis8 said:

So what is the future of FSX ?

I'm not exactly sure how you define "future" ... if you define that by support and new add-ons, then you can get an idea on FSX future by looking into the past with FS9 ... take a look at what new add-ons are currently being released for FS9. 

As far as costs of P3D, XP11 and newer platforms ... that's often tossed around as a road block, but you'll often find those same people spending money elsewhere ... so it's really just a matter of not wanting to spend the money rather than "affordability" of a hobby (be it educational or otherwise).  For example, you're statement about going to Vegas conference in June is certainly a higher expense than the purchase of a new platform (P3D, XP11, etc.) along with several add-on upgrade costs ... like Dave said that's your personal choice and not really about affordability.

Any computer within the last 5 years will run P3D about 25% faster than FSX (using equivalent settings a Max in FSX = Medium in P3D), add-ons will of course influence that number (as more add-ons are using P3D exclusive features).

The transition from FSX to P3D is a little less costly as many FSX's products have discounted (or even free) P3D versions.  Currently there isn't much in the way of cross-platform transition (i.e. FSX to XP11) in terms of product discounts vs. similar platform transition (FSX to P3D) ... since several vendors are now producing products for both XP11 and P3D (and FSX) ... so those of us operating cross-platform are paying twice for the same product (airport/aircraft/etc.).

If you're happy with what you have and not really interested in new Add-Ons and don't want to spend the money, then I think you've already got the decision made for you.  Many people don't need the latest and greatest to keep from getting bored with what they currently have ... it's still a hugely robust and flexible platform that only needs some imagination and a blind eye.

Cheers, Rob.

I stayed with FSX the whole time from when it was released until last May when P3Dv4 was released. As programs have released for v4 I have been slowly making my way to using it more than FSX. I will say it is a lot more stable. I went back to FSX the other day and the vsync issues that I have always had with it are that much more apparent when panning the camera. Also the occasional stutters. While P3Dv4 is not perfect I am able to turn the majority of the sliders to maximum and enjoy how smooth it is compared to FSX (at least on my system). I am only buying new aircraft for v4 now. If I buy scenery and it is able to be installed in FSX I will usually install it if I don't think it will drag FSX down. I am just waiting for the rest of the aircraft that are going to be ported to be, and then I will just leave FSX installed for our favorite tri-jet that will never come to v4 (MD-11X). I will say the upgrade was expensive. I still have not rebought my PMDG aircraft, and seeing as there is a NG3 on the way I will probably hold out on the NG. Rebuying the PMDG birds alone is going to be several hundred dollars. However seeing as I have gotten a decade of use out of the MD-11, had 747v2 & NGX since release I feel it is a worthwhile purchase. For me the performance differential is to big to ignore, and I have not had any issues with v4 on my system.

7 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

As far as costs of P3D, XP11 and newer platforms ... that's often tossed around as a road block, but you'll often find those same people spending money elsewhere ... so it's really just a matter of not wanting to spend the money rather than "affordability" of a hobby

My two cents regarding costs. I am unable to come up with a hobby that costs as little as this one even if you build a computer every 2 or 3 years (building cuts cost by half) and have all the addons you want.  Fishing and hunting are more expensive, bowling probably is.., perhaps surfing is cheaper if you don't pay a premium to live near the coast.  As far as aviation goes, I can tell you that compare to operating and maintenance cost for a plane this hobby is just peanuts.  I appreciate not everyone has surplus cash or a disposable income that might allow flight simulation as a hobby, but that is hopefully a transitional status that is soon overcome with education and better employment opportunities.  This hobby is relatively cheap.

• Upvote 4

Dan Downs KCRP

8 hours ago, richard welsh said:

Hello Louis,  You are not alone, I have been using FSX in Windows7 since it came into being and I would not change it one little bit.  I feel that most complaints in the Forum are from members who seem to be changing from one operation system to another trying to achieve Utopia in flight sim.  The old saying if it aint broke why fix it.  Cheers. Richard Welsh

So what is the future of FSX and if it ain't broke why fix it ?

I really must fix my old Apple II and see if my Sub-Logic Flight Simulator still works! 

Kyle's comments have hit the nail on the head, because what we are seeing with the likes of P3Dv4 and XPlane 11 is a major evolutionary change for the better in Flight Simulator software due to their superior (64bit) memory handling capabilities.  For many end users, FSX and FSX-SE have already reached the end of their useful lives due to CTD's and OOM's etc; mainly caused by the high memory demands being put on them by today's complex scenery and aircraft addons. 

Who knows, at some point in the not too distant future it is very likely FSX will cease to be compatible with a future PC operating system - then what?  Some addon developers have already stopped supporting FSX and it might be reasonable to assume if we want to use PMDG's forthcoming B747-8 and get the best out of it we will have to forget about using FSX altogether.  (RSR said in his 27 January post about the PMDG B747-8 " .... but it brings forward our increasing effort to leverage the new x64bit simulator Prepar3D v4 to further increase the amount of realism we can provide.and use P3Dv4 instead.") 

Change is inevitable in the computing world and it is called progress.  Is FSX broke?  Not yet, but 64Bit Flight Simulator software is definitely the way forward - at least until something better comes along.  But for those of us who want to continue using FSX, (or FSX-SE; FS2004 etc) there is nothing wrong with that so long as they still work and provide us with enjoyment and pleasure. 

Bertie Goddard 

9 minutes ago, downscc said:

My two cents regarding costs. I am unable to come up with a hobby that costs as little as this one even if you build a computer every 2 or 3 years (building cuts cost by half) and have all the addons you want.  Fishing and hunting are more expensive, bowling probably is.., perhaps surfing is cheaper if you don't pay a premium to live near the coast.  As far as aviation goes, I can tell you that compare to operating and maintenance cost for a plane this hobby is just peanuts.  I appreciate not everyone has surplus cash or a disposable income that might allow flight simulation as a hobby, but that is hopefully a transitional status that is soon overcome with education and better employment opportunities.  This hobby is relatively cheap.

I can certainly vouch for this hobby being a lot cheaper than other options.  Golf happens to be another of my hobbies. Kind of forced upon me with my career choice, but absolutely love the game now.  I've been playing for a little over 13 years now and the money I've dropped over the course of that time, to still remain a handicap golfer would be considered insane to most of you.  But as a few people have said, it comes down to what makes you happy and of course what you can afford.

I for one was one of those folks complaining of the potential costs of switching, but in the end it didn't amount to much if you just factor in the cost of P3D and some addons.  My switch cost me even more because I decided to concurrently upgrade my system.  The benefits of switching really outweigh the eventual costs of doing so.  Not to mention the peace of mind knowing you now have a stable 64bit platform vs. the old 32bit FSX.

• Upvote 1

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

12 minutes ago, downscc said:

if you build a computer every 2 or 3 years (building cuts cost by half)

Agree, this can make a significant cost difference ... I rarely build a new PC from scratch unless I physically need a new PC for some other task.  My hardware upgrades usually follow:

Motherboard, CPU, RAM (always recommend this combo upgrade, not just one element of it)
GPU (at some other time frame)

Most of my other components stay and don't need replacing, PSU, I/O devices (SSDs), Keyboard, Mouse, case, cooling, VR, Monitor, etc.   Building PC's these days is so much easier than it used to be as everything is far more standardized, if one can make a cup of coffee, one can build a PC.  It's really not an Elite hobby that many make it out to be, I've spent far more money on other things in life, heck I just spent over $2000 in Vet bills for one of my Cats (no fun cleaning up after a cat that has IBS).  Even just going out to the movies with my wife is $50.

Cheers, Rob.

I was having major problems with FSX-SE, so I made the move to Prepar3D V4. I was a little reluctant to spend the money on the Pro version, but I am really liking it a lot.

I do not have any add-ons on it other than the PMDG 747 thus far, but it runs great on my machine. Before installing anything, it is worth looking at the PMDG documentation on known issues, like making a PMDG airplane the default airplane. I did this without reviewing the documentation and it resulted in Prepar3D opening, tries to load, and then promptly shows nothing. The task manager does not show anything running, but under the background processes it shows the exe file running, but the start panel of V4 is nowhere to be found. Once I uninstalled it, and re-installed it and made the default a Prepar3D airplane, problem solved. A good lesson to review the documentation in PMDG because it warned me not to do that. 

But, now I have the problem of not having Orbx or Active Sky 2016, but the right out of the box Prepar3D V4 is pretty darn good in my opinion. I am really enjoying it...

I was flying Microsoft Flight Sim back in the early 90's all the way up to FSX.  I was a huge FSX fan.   Never ran into problems until FSX crashed and it would not start up again (about 1 year ago).    I had a new computer built with P3dV3 and never noticed the difference.  Both were great.   Yeah I had to re-buy 3 PMDG planes, some scenery, FSUIPC etc.    I just upgraded to P3dV4.  Not too painful.  To me, they are all the same.  

Next week I'll do the full motion simulator in Miami for 2 hours.  Right seat is still open!  I could use a co-pilot.

Paul Gugliotta

I will say, though, I ran FS9 for the longest time, and only switched over to FSX once the PMDG Boeing 747-400 got released last year. If I want to fly the Boeing 747-400, I'll run FSX. For everything else, it'll still be FS9. Of course, lately, all I've been flying was the Boeing 747-400, so I've pretty much only been running FSX. There weren't really too many add-on sceneries that I needed to purchase, as the FSDreamteam scenery that I owned for FS9 could be run in FSX and P3D, and the ones I did buy for FSX like Flightbeam I believe can also be used in P3D without re-purchasing. I think the only purchase I would need to make for P3D would be the PMDG Boeing 747-400 and the QualityWings Boeing 787 when they release the P3D version.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

1 hour ago, Captain_Al said:

I was having major problems with FSX-SE, so I made the move to Prepar3D V4. I was a little reluctant to spend the money on the Pro version, but I am really liking it a lot.

I do not have any add-ons on it other than the PMDG 747 thus far, but it runs great on my machine. Before installing anything, it is worth looking at the PMDG documentation on known issues, like making a PMDG airplane the default airplane. I did this without reviewing the documentation and it resulted in Prepar3D opening, tries to load, and then promptly shows nothing. The task manager does not show anything running, but under the background processes it shows the exe file running, but the start panel of V4 is nowhere to be found. Once I uninstalled it, and re-installed it and made the default a Prepar3D airplane, problem solved. A good lesson to review the documentation in PMDG because it warned me not to do that. 

But, now I have the problem of not having Orbx or Active Sky 2016, but the right out of the box Prepar3D V4 is pretty darn good in my opinion. I am really enjoying it...

You know you can go ahead and install ORBYX cross platform with Orbyx Central3. AS2016 can be had for a modest uograde price.

• Upvote 2

Vic green

I only need to repurchase PMDG and AS16, everything else I got is cross platform but I just don't want to go down the path of trying to get it to run just to get few extra FX.
I have no VAS issues, no FPS issues so I'm not sure what is it that I am missing.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

8 hours ago, 787WannabePilot said:

Orig FSX user here. Until they fix the kinks in P3D, I am happy with where I am not.

For an upgrade, it is quite expensive.

+1. It's a unique experience today to have a system that can fully handle the simulator I use. No CTD or OOM. Smooth graphics. And tons of quality add-ons.  Every time I see a topic about how reliable P3D has become, I see two or three new topics with the opposite experience.  Seems like Deja Vu all over again.  Not trashing P3D. Just happy where I am at.  Primarily GA flying and seldom into photo-real NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Fran, or Dallas, if you catch my drift.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

7 hours ago, PaulGR said:

I have no VAS issues, no FPS issues so I'm not sure what is it that I am missing.

In that case, you must be either really lucky, or you don't fly extremely long flights to begin with. I've done live streams where I'll fly for 5.5 hours, three or four flights, and the last one is what kills me on VAS.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

1 hour ago, Captain Kevin said:

In that case, you must be either really lucky, or you don't fly extremely long flights to begin with. I've done live streams where I'll fly for 5.5 hours, three or four flights, and the last one is what kills me on VAS.

I fly nothing but long hauls, Kevin, in FSX in my 747's and T7's - mostly Europe to Far East and USA. Longest trip was a 15 hour flight from Sydney to Dallas Forth Worth in a 747 ER. Never any issues on frame rates, CTD's or OOM. I've got add-on scenery from Taxi2Gate, Fly Tampa, UK2000 and Aerosoft - Smooth as a bird.

My biggest problems were with the unwanted downloads from Window 7 to Windows 10. This caused me much grief until I sorted the Windows 10 issues. Now no problems.

I did invest in upgrading my system a couple of years ago (Intel Haswell i7 CPU, ASUS Motherboard, 16GB RAM, 110GB SSD and 2TB Hard Drive). Now this system is probably outdated.

I've read earlier that I may have a few problems with FSX to get the best out of the new 747-8 when it comes out, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. 

Bernard Walford

Well a lot of interest in this subject i see that's for sure.When i go to Vegas in June  I'll  make my decision. I have a pile of cash tied up with Precision Flight Controls and Go -flight  so most likely will wind up going ahead with all  this at some time  .Its like the term "plug and play " oh ya right, cause its plug and PRAY that the darn thing is gonna work. I talked to guys on team speak and they get so frustrated with all this they feel like getting out of simming and just one thing after another going wrong is what scares me .I think what ill do when i get to the conference is get to know someone and ask him how much he'll  charge me to come in my rig with Team View and set it all up. I was gonna buy the PMDG 777 but after reading just above what Paul said about rebuying it i think i'll wait for that purchase .