Sign in to follow this  
dougfir

No Flight Plan Import Button (resolved)

Let me add my voice to the Import flight plan problem.

Windows 10 64, RealityXP GTN750 v 6.41.1 (software 2.4.13.0) with XPlane 11.11 

My problem is not about the flight plan files having the wrong format, it's about not seeing ANY files in the FPLN directory.

I put the sample gfp file in the "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN" folder and then do the sequence Flight Plan | Menu | Catalog | Menu | Import  but all I see are "Delete All" and greyed out "Delete Pending".  I do not see the "Import" button.

I've read all the posts I can find here. I read thru the link for "GTN Flight Plan Import Process ?".

I've set an environment variable to GTNSIMDATA="C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN" 

Still no Import button.

What to try next?

John

Check the Garmin Trainers log file in this folder:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

Open it with Notepad and see what your data and bin paths are set to.

Never mind, I found the file but it's large. What exactly am I looking for?

The environment variable GTNSIMDATA is not in the file and neither is "FPLN".

Hmm, That's where mine are. The GTN installer and the launcher both write their log files there by default.

Anyway, you can also check the Garmin Trainer registry settings which are located at:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Garmin\Trainers

I wouldn't mess with those settings, but the various environment variables listed in the RXP GTN users manual  should alter the registry settings. Personally, there must be a bug in the GTN Trainer 6.4.1.1 installer that for some reason on specific systems the GTN is not looking for the flight plans in the correct folder. RXP will probably have to figure this out.

1 minute ago, dougfir said:

Never mind, I found the file but it's large. What exactly am I looking for?

The environment variable GTNSIMDATA is not in the file and neither is "FPLN".

It should show where the Garmin trainer binary and data folders reside. It's not going to show a subfolder for the flight plan files because that is always off of the main data folder.

Try putting your flight plans here:

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPL

Not FPLN

Thanks for the idea but no go.
I created a new folder "FPL" under C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN and copied the files over.
Still no import button.

There are several logs in the temp folder and all appear to be initial installation logs.
None have any reference to what we're looking for. The closest I guess would be
CommonAppDataFolder = C:\ProgramData\

The registry entries at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Garmin\Trainers"
have values for BinPath, DataPath, DBDataPath,GTNDataPath,LauncherDataPath.

It does not have any entry for "GTNSIMDATA" or anything that points to "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN"

So I added a registry entry:: Name = GTNSIMDATA and Data = C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN

Did not help.

I'm stumped. It's working for me with 6.4.1.1 and rev 13 so I don't know what else to say except wait until RXP has a chance to look over what's happening.

Thanks for the try.

Just to confirm:
 you have a folder  C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN
 you have an environment variable GTNSIMDATA pointing to that folder
 On the GTN750 in the sim your sequence is FlightPlan | Menu | Catalog | Menu | and then you have an Import button

I just don't see what I'm missing (guess that's an oxymoron)

Hope RXP looks at this topic.

Hi,

"C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN" is correct per 6.41.x trainers.

The environment var is not necessary if installed to the default location.

There are some systems which are preventing the trainer to 'read'/'list' the content of the FPLN folder and we're still wondering what causes this.

The only probable cause we're looking at for now is a problem of folder access rights. Maybe your user as read/write access to the folder, but maybe your user doesn't have the 'list' access rights on the parent folder(s)?!?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hello,

I am the only user and the administrator of this PC.

I have checked/double checked that I have full control over this folder ("C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN" ).

You said "The environment var is not necessary if installed to the default location."

So, I created a new folder: "f:\test\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN"  and copied the sample gfp files into that location.

I edited the env var GTNSIMDATA to point to "f:\test\Garmin\Trainers\GTN".

Still no import button.

Next?

I forgot to mention I edited the registry key I created to point to the new test folder.

So, to recap, we have the environmental var GTNSIMDATA pointing to a folder with full security rights. Same with a registry key of the same name. The folder(s) contain the sample flight plans.

As far as I can tell, the unit works as it should except for that.

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit. 

Ready to debug for you.

Thank you for the additional details. I'm looking into this right now.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Have you confirmed that v6.41 actually reads and uses the path pointed to by the environmental variable "GTNSIMDATA"?

I have that var set to f:\test\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\ in which there is the folder "FPLN" in which are the sample flight plans and the user.wpt file. That locations has full permissions for all.

This location is not being read by the GTN750.

It should be simple to check your code to see what location is being read.