Sign in to follow this  
dougfir

No Flight Plan Import Button (resolved)

Hi and sorry for the delay.

There is a fix in the v2.4.14 we've just released this morning which shall help about this.

Besides, we've also updated the user's manual with an alternate way specifically for the FPLN folder which doesn't require moving the GTN data folder to someplace else, therefore, not requiring using environment variables either.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 2/21/2018 at 2:25 PM, RXP said:

Besides, we've also updated the user's manual with an alternate way specifically for the FPLN folder which doesn't require moving the GTN data folder to someplace else, therefore, not requiring using environment variables either.

I used this new method this morning.  The method of creating a folder pointed to by a properly located shortcut.  The method is detailed on page 9 in the revised user's manual (pdf).  It works for me.  My shortcut points to a new subfolder that I created off the folder where my Flight Simulator user files are stored (pln, flt, logbook.bin, and FSUIPC autosave files).  I routinely backup that folder so now doing so will also backup any .gfp files I store in the new subfolder there.

C:\Users\Owner\Flight Simulator X Files\
C:\Users\Owner\Flight Simulator X Files\FPLN\

I  do want to fume a bit here.

First, I had a horrible time locating the newly revised RXP GTN user manual.  I believe I finally located it under Reality XP folders in Program Files (x86).  I copied it to my desktop where I can find it.  Why is it not placed somewhere more intuitive? Like perhaps in Program Data where the example flight plan and user waypoints files are placed?  As I was writing this message I went to look for its location again so I could describe where I found it and I had trouble finding it again!  Users cannot read the manual if they cannot find it!

Next. Why was no warning posted about what this most recent GTN update would do?  Not sure if it was the RXP GTN update or the new Garmin GTN Trainer version installation, but it wiped out my previous FPLN folder that contained my .gfp files, and it also overwrote my NONVOL\sys_nand(x) files, and thus my previously stored flight plans.  And whatever method was used in doing that did not leave tracks in my recycle bin. So no way to recover. This should clearly have been observed and duly pointed out in announcing the update. 

%^^%%$@#$%^&**  !!!!!

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

Why is it not placed somewhere more intuitive?

Hi Frank, 

I'm sorry for the problems you've experienced. The traditional Windows guidelines point to creating a Reality XP program group, and put shortcuts to the application files and programs. Therefore it is quite standard and easy to find:

Start | Reality XP | GTN | User's Manual

NB: 'Start' (menu) is the 'Windows' ORB to the lower left corner.

I'm not found of installers adding bloat to my Windows desktop usually, I'm putting enough shortcuts myself LOL. I'll see if I can add an option in the installer for this though. I know it has been asked a while back, but I've honestly forgotten about this one.

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

Not sure if it was the RXP GTN update or the new Garmin GTN Trainer version installation, but it wiped out my previous FPLN folder that contained my .gfp files, and it also overwrote my NONVOL\sys_nand(x) files

I'm not sure about this one. Usually, when uninstalling a program, or installing a new version over, any user added file shouldn't be deleted: the uninstaller governing both situations is only concerned by its own 'known' files (hence sometimes leftovers).

The RXP installer will never erase these files, so this must have been when upgrading with GTN Trainer v6.41.1

It is very unfortunate and I'm sorry for this to have happened, and I don't think previous GTN installers where erasing user added files. Could this be a bug in their latest installer?

I'll make sure to add a chapter about this in the next revision of the User's Manual, this is a good point.

Edited by RXP

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Hello,

Sorry to reactivate that old topic, but the problem persists for me.

I just installed the GTN750Touch v.2.5.3, with GTN Trainer 6.41, and I use it with the A2A Comanche on P3D v4.1.

Still no way to import a flight plan, either on the trainer or in the aircraft. The "Import" menu never shows for the catalog, only option is to create a new flight plan. Of course i tried all the tricks explained in this thread, using a 'FPLN' link to the actual folder, using environnement variables, etc..., no luck.

Any new idea on the subject?

Cheers,

Gerard.

Hi Gerard,

can you please show the full path you've created the FPLN folder/link in, and what other files you can find in the folder above the 'FPLN' one?

Ok,

Here is the path to the directory above FPLN:

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN

In this directory I have a FPLN directory (containing flight plans, user.wpt) and your pdf:  'GTN Flight Plan and User Waypoint transfer.pdf'

I also tried the option where FPLN is a link to;

"C:\Users\nouzaut\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\Garmin\FPLN" where flight plans and user.wpt are stored.

I included the defaut plan (KSLE_KSLE.gfp) and user.wpt, as well as plans created by LittleNavmap, but none shows.

Note that I installed the GTN 750 Touch on the E: drive where I install all my Fltsim stuff. Could it matter ?

Cheers,

Gerard.

Hi,

the correct folder should also contain other subfolders like 'active', 'resources', 'nonvol'.

Hello,

The directories you mention are in:

E:\Jeux\Garmin\Trainers\ProgramData\GTN.

Probably because I installed the GTN in E:\Jeux ?

So I copied FPLN in that directory, and now the GTN 750 sees it from FltSim!  The Garmin Trainer still does not see it though

The most importatnt is I can use it from FltSIm anyway.

Gérard.

Edited by ge01
Double check...

SOLVED. 
After updating from 2.4.3 to 2.5.6 I too also lost my import button. C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN\FPLN was no longer working even though that's what is indicated on page 9 of the manual. Well somewhere along the line someone changed or a change was made to the directory and the file path has now changed. No wonder you're all frustrated, the manual is incorrect. 

The correct file path should now be C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FPLN and not in the GTN folder anymore. After 2 hours of painstakingly fiddling around with this and working with a buddy of mine he was able to figure out the NEW correct path. I hope this helps everyone out. 

11 hours ago, Dracollin-Kevin said:

was no longer working even though that's what is indicated on page 9 of the manual.

should now be C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FPLN

I'm glad you've got it working, although p9 give the correct path for trainer v6.50, and footnotes for previous trainers?!?!

I've never been able to import a flight plan. I decided to revisit the issue this morning and followed this read along with the user manual Page 9. I am running the latest update to the GTN750 (2.5.7) and have my flight plan files and user waypoint file at: C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FLPN. I've also tried placing them at C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\GTN. Neither has ever worked.

Here is a screenshot of the C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FLPN path:

e5fr7q.jpg

Edited by snpower

ATP BE300 BE400 CE500 CE560XL DA20 MU300

@snpower
Have you tried double clicking on the FLPN shortcut to see if it opens up your flight plan folder in another explorer window? This is a way of checking to see if the FLPN shortcut is pointed at the correct location of your flight plan folder.
I put my GTN & GNS plan files in ...\Documents\Garmin Flight Plans

Edited by Bills511

Yes, and it points to a sub-folder in my Documents location.

ATP BE300 BE400 CE500 CE560XL DA20 MU300

Please note: "FLPN" (flaps normal?) is not the same as "FPLN" (flight plan) 😉