Sign in to follow this  
MrYorkiesWorld

Determining the "Active Runways" for Takeoff / Landing

Hi everyone,

I have been using P3D 4.1 for quite some time now, and I feel quite confident in terms of my flying ability etc... however there is one thing I'd like to know about regarding Active Runways.

For example, Active Sky Next tells you in the "Conditions" tab for a specific airport what the "Runways in use" are there.

Basically, does this refer to LANDINGS or TAKEOFFS? or possibly both?

I've been under the assumption that it means both takeoff and landing. For example at EGKK (Gatwick), it says runways 26L and 26R are currently in use, so does this mean both can be used for either takeoff or landing depending on the wind?

I hope I've made sense!

--Yorkie

• Upvote 1

I click on the P3D ATC, click on Ground and ask for a departure straight out.  They will provide the active runway depending on the weather.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You takeoff and land into the wind to the extent that's possible with the way runways are pointed. Airports with multiple runways often designate one for takeoffs and one for landings. Sometimes they designate one for, say, south arrivals and departures, and the other for north arrivals and departures. It depends on the particular airport, traffic, time of day, etc.

Your best bet is to find the prevailing winds and go from there. Outer runways are often for landings, inner runways often for takeoffs. Sometimes airports won't change runways with the winds until they're very strong because of other airports in the area, like in New York City where it's a big dance with 3 major airports all next to each other.

• Upvote 1

A lot of times (for the major airports at least) the Vatsim page for the ARTCC will have the runways used for takeoffs and landings listed.  Ones like Amsterdam even give a graphic for which are used for takeoffs and landings based on the current winds in a diagram which is incredibly helpful for airports with crossing runways (https://www.dutchvacc.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127&Itemid=70)  Another trick I use is to look at the Flightaware page for the airport and check the flightpath for the aircraft arriving and departing.  It isn't perfect but you can usually tell what the airport is currently using in the real world.

• Upvote 1

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

Flightradar24 ...

• Upvote 3

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

Flightradar24 ...

+1

Such an easy way to work out what's happening at a busy multiple runway airport such as AMS or ORD.

P.S. @YorkiesWorld. LGW is single runway ops, with usually 26L / 08R in use. 26R / 08L is often a taxiway, unless the 'main' runway is u/s for maintenance.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I look at the windsock and then head down the turf or dirt in the direction that's more toward the wind. Unless it's one-way ruwnway with a big mountain at one end, or a strong incline. Then I take off downwind or stay on the ground :)

• Upvote 1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

+1

Such an easy way to work out what's happening at a busy multiple runway airport such as AMS or ORD.

P.S. @YorkiesWorld. LGW is single runway ops, with usually 26L / 08R in use. 26R / 08L is often a taxiway, unless the 'main' runway is u/s for maintenance.

Thanks everyone for your answers, just a quick one... when it says "Runways in use" in Active Sky - I assume this means for both takeoff AND landing?

I've just taken a look over at flightradar 24 and I'm definitely impressed with how easy it is to see it on the map and work it out that way etc... but I just wondered also whether Runways in Use also referred to BOTH landing and takeoff runways etc...

Thanks very much everyone!

--Yorkie

• Upvote 1

so... you are all discussing current / live weather in asn (which of itself is not compatible with P3DV41, ASP4 is) whether live or historic.

I am confused by all your answers,

for now, cheers

john martin

As others have said, Flightradar24 will always be the best choice if you really want to reflect real world ops.  That's also assuming, you're using real weather ASP4 and therefore the correct prevailing winds.

Hi Folks,

Sounds like you're flying tubes into large towered airports - they usually use the term "Active" - the term "Runway In Use" usually pertains to uncontrolled non-towered fields where pilots are truly free to use whichever runway they want - however - they "should" conform to the same runway prevailing traffic is using for safety sake... At least here in the US... Many pilots cringe at uncontrolled airports when someone blunders into the pattern asking for a "Traffic Report" and which runway is "Active" - at least I do...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

• Upvote 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync