Sign in to follow this  
Claudius_

New to FSW

Hi all, I can't find the way to change the daytime hour for my twilight and night flights. Also I see beautiful lights and shadows on the planes, but the scenery is rather "flat", no trees, buildings, clouds and mountains shadows. I'm enjoying the new dynamic weather.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

To change time and date in Free Flight, click on Config to the left of the Weather button. There is a tab for setting the time/date. Use the Reset button if you want to sync with your computer time/date.

What you see in terms of scenery depends on where you are flying and your scenery settings. Go to Settings and then Display. If your Scenery slider is all the way left then you will not see any trees/buildings and you need to move it to the right.

Barry Friedman

Thank you for your reply. The scenery slider is already fully on the right, but no scenery shadows. I'l try to change the time/date following your advice to see if it will change anything in the shadows.

When the sun is low you should see terrain shadows. I'm not sure if building shadows can be enabled in the GUI, they can have a big performance hit. FSW doesn't have cloud shadows yet.

Barry Friedman

2 hours ago, rampa said:

Thank you for your reply. The scenery slider is already fully on the right, but no scenery shadows. I'l try to change the time/date following your advice to see if it will change anything in the shadows.

There are no scenery (trees, buildings etc) shadows yet. Something that is expected to come in the future updates of the sim.

The shadows and some lights have to be implemented because they are completely absent now, but the plane modeling, and its lights and shadows are at the top. Also I'm impressed by the flight dynamics, you can feel the slighter turbulence now and not a flight is without at least a little chop, in my opinion these dynamics are better than ASP4, the famous dedicated to P3D meteo engine.

I'm pretty impressed with the aircraft in general. They all have a high degree of functionality, are visually quite impressive, and have very good flight dynamics. FSW has made significant improvements in ground handling as well. To me, that made a significant change in the realism factor. With FSX, taxiing never felt "right". Accu-Sim helped a lot, but it still wasn't right. Taxiing in FSW just feels so much better. The RPMs required to get the airplane moving and maintain a roll are very typical of the real thing. FSX required too much power during taxi in my opinion. I flew the Kahalui Air "Overload" mission where you had to hold over the harbor, and there was a thermal in one spot over the harbor. By the 3rd circuit, I was able to push the nose down and not gain 200' on the way through it. Pretty cool. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

15 hours ago, rampa said:

The shadows and some lights have to be implemented because they are completely absent now, but the plane modeling, and its lights and shadows are at the top. Also I'm impressed by the flight dynamics, you can feel the slighter turbulence now and not a flight is without at least a little chop, in my opinion these dynamics are better than ASP4, the famous dedicated to P3D meteo engine.

Yes and as I heard they are working on that. Unfortunately they are a small team and they can't give us timelines to the features they will implement. For now, all we know is things are being done, but no release dates.