Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

Scenery management inquiry

After hours of installs I have a couple of questions concerning scenery library.

Is it necessary to deactivate add-on airports as in FSX to avoid oom? Kind of problematic since you have to start the sim to get to the scenery library.

What app do you use to get to the scenery library? I have the freeware scenery config Editor v1.1.9 but it only seems to be for FSX. I also bought simstarter

a couple months ago but uninstalled it as it change things I didn't want it to.  Seem to take control of things I didn't want it to. I didn't think the documentation was all that great for the technically unsophisticated. Like me.

Always appreciate advice.

Vic green

Hi Vic,

Theoretically - no need to deactivate - unless - they are in close proximity to each other as they will still eat frames... For example - when in Teterboro - I deactivate Lagaurdia and vice versa...

One more piece of software I was a total skeptic of - SimStarter - which I wound up picking up over the holidays on a trusted recommendation... I’m like I know how to start my sim - after using it for a month or so - I don’t know how I lived without it...

You define custom profiles for various needs - and every setting in P3D is selectable in SS - same goes for AS4... You can kill programs before start - load new ones - and reload your killed programs when you’re done... There’s a backup utility to protect your config files and tons of features I haven’t touched on... It manages you p3d.cfg, scenery.cfg, addon.xml, and on and on... So much easier than loading the sim to play with settings...

One slick piece of kit you may want to consider...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 3

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

1 hour ago, PATCO LCH said:

After hours of installs I have a couple of questions concerning scenery library. 

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

19 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Vic,

Theoretically - no need to deactivate - unless - they are in close proximity to each other as they will still eat frames... For example - when in Teterboro - I deactivate Lagaurdia and vice versa...

One more piece of software I was a total skeptic of - SimStarter - which I wound up picking up over the holidays on a trusted recommendation... I’m like I know how to start my sim - after using it for a month or so - I don’t know how I lived without it...

You define custom profiles for various needs - and every setting in P3D is selectable in SS - same goes for AS4... You can kill programs before start - load new ones - and reload your killed programs when you’re done... There’s a backup utility to protect your config files and tons of features I haven’t touched on... It manages you p3d.cfg, scenery.cfg, addon.xml, and on and on... So much easier than loading the sim to play with settings...

One slick piece of kit you may want to consider...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott,

I bought simstarter a couple months ago for FSX but it just wopped me. Seemed it did things I didn't want it to and I had a hard time undoing. I guess I'm afraid to apply it to P3D for the same reason. The only thing I would want it for is the scenery library but no need if I don't need to disable sceneries like in FSX.

Vic green

Hi Vic,

"Is it necessary to deactivate add-on airports as in FSX to avoid oom?"

There is no need to disable sceneries with P3dv4. OOM are a thing of the past now.

fly safe

• Upvote 1

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

18 minutes ago, mokeiko said:

Hi Vic,

"Is it necessary to deactivate add-on airports as in FSX to avoid oom?"

There is no need to disable sceneries with P3dv4. OOM are a thing of the past now.

fly safe

Good news!

Vic green

Scott is spot on with this advice.  I'll just add a little additional info to what he said.

Airport scenery loads at two times, initially (somethings) at about 20 miles, and the rest will load at approximately 10 miles.  So if there is a particular scenery withint 20nmof your flight path then I'd recommend disabling it before your flight.  Now, what a lot of us did back with FSX is we'd install scenery and then use SceneryConfigEditor to deactivate it.  Then before a flight we'd Activate our Departure and Arrical Aiport Scenery. Doing this became part of our pre-flight.

Additionally, Phopreal scenery will load regardless of where your aircraft is, and using the above procedure prevented this from affecting us. Using the "Activate Only Two Airports" procedure prevented OOMs except at a few airports like Heathrow, and for that you can wait until your say 30 miles out of your deparure airport, save your flight, and then re-load your flight. This will give you enough memory to fly into a memory heavy airport such as Heathrow.

Best wishes,.

• Upvote 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.