Sign in to follow this  
CajunRon

Intermittent Pauses and Orbx Southern California

I have been plaqued for some time by intermittent pauses that really diminishes my immersion.   These are not the millisecond stutters that are discussed in great length in many forums.  These are pauses where the P3DV4 freezes anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds.   Frame rate are decent 30 - 40 when these occur.   I recently upgraded my computer to try to eliminate these.   My new system is a 6 core i5-8600K processor (newest Intel processor ) overclocked to 4.9 Ghz (tested stable using Prime95 torture testing).   P3DV4 and all add-ons are installed on a M.2 SSD with a x4 PCIe M.2 connection.....but with all of this power, brand new system and new install...the pauses are still there.  My Nvidia GTX 780 graphics card is getting just a little long in the tooth but still no slouch.   Since I am getting a decent frame rate when experiencing these pauses I can't see how this could be graphics card related.

The pauses are worst flying a PMDG aircraft or the Aerosoft CRJ 700 (which I don't think puts quite as much demand on the CPU) in the Orbx Southern California scenery in the KLAX area.   I completely uninstalled FSDreamteam's KLAX scenery but the pauses were still there...just not as often or severe.    I then disabled the Orbx Southern California scenery and the pauses went away....still had some microsecond stutters though.   I re-enabled the Orbx scenery and the pauses returned.  This is with the default KLAX scenery.  Sliders are all one or two notches less than max which my system should easily handled.  I use Ultimate Traffic Live set at 50% commercial and 50% GA.   My test have been without any external weather generation and without Navigraph charts (using simconnect) running.  I've checked my background tasks and they are only using minimal CPU power.

So my only reasonable conclusion is that the main culprit is the Orbx Southern California scenery which is worsened by the FSDreamteam scenery.    Very frustrating especially after spending quite a bit on a new powerful system.   Does anyone experience these intermittent pauses or have any ideas on what might be causing them?  At this point it seems like I will have to put Orbx Southern California in my long, long list of mothballed software (I've been simming since SubLOGIC third generation flight simulator running on a Commodore Amiga computer...yep I'm that old)

Ronnie Pertuit

Yup, that is the way it is... either accept it, or fly without any nice, detailed scenery..

No amount of hardware will make this disappear.

When we fly multiplayer,  most of us will experience the "scenery load" pause in the exact same location.

Bert

I have also the same pause/freeze at the same place !

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

You are not alone!! I too fly with a group, experience pause in exact same location. My group posted at Orbx many, many months ago with no response. Other's have posted here & Orbx as well.

Good luck, erv

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.

I got no stinking pauses in SCA or anywhere else. I tell you how to fix it but then others will tell you I'm wrong. The key is to only load the scenery you are using and make sure LC and Vector are disable when in ORBX regions. That's it no more pauses.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

unfortunately, i don't have lc or vector installed and still get the pause around klax and general bad frames in the la area using socal.  

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

SOCAL was bad for me as well.  I just removed it and no longer use it.  Have the same issues now with V4.2 but in Germany N/S.