Sign in to follow this  
Woozie

PMDG RainMaker preview

This thread is hilarious.  

For years now, actual YEARS, people have been moaning about no rain effects in the NGX and 777.

TFDi gets them going on the 717, then PMDG does this, which looks great.  I mean, it’s exaclty what people have been asking for.  

The response?  Eeehhhhh.

*******.  Some people just word not allowed about everything, I guess.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

It is very pretty and all, but I most admit that I am struggling to find any enthusiasm for a few rain drops. Lets face it, rain effects are not exactly new. I think we must agree that the days when PMDG could release a pogo stick and get people excited are, sadly, behind us, but I was trying to work out what has changed. I have one theory that was inspired by RSR's thread on his favorite bits. That thread was full is really subtle details that a normal simmer just wouldn't be aware of, in fact, many of those details are (in my opinion) so subtle that even a RW pilot would neither know nor care. Yes the specific gravity of fuel varies by environment, but so what? It does not change enough to actually matter in any but the most extreme edge cases, and on Boeings automated fuel systems, it is not like you can use the knowledge to inform a decision. Even with the MD-11 (can you believe that was a decade ago!) you could have fun on long hauls pumping fuel through the heater tank at the rear. 

Given a choice between yet another 7x7 that I already know how to fly but this time one which correctly simulates the second bulb in the landing gear position indicator, or a something new and different (and frankly, exciting!) - Airbus, Antonov, CRJ, Embraer, ... then I am not going Boeing.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Paul_Smith said:

then I am not going Boeing.

Paul,

Are you still based in New York? :smile:

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Given the impassioned threads in the past about rain, I'm entirely surprised at the responses here, honestly.

Looking back at those threads, you would've imagined we handed people a plane without wings, or engines, since you couldn't see rain on the windscreen. Here? It's like the disappointed mother in Despicable Me...

• Upvote 7

Kyle Rodgers

16 hours ago, xTiMm_ said:

But there might be people that likes the scandinavian guy over at PMDG

The “Scandinavian guy” has a name...just saying.

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm puzzled by few ideas I've read in that thread:

_ TDFI develops a rain effect addon, so every other devs should pay for it and use it? No one would be allowed to develop their own?

Come on, first if devs always had to use third party's, it would be reflected in sale price and some would still complain about the price and as some said, some emulation is good to get the best. Not saying that TDFi's is not good (how could I say that) but since until now they were the only one, nobody had any comparison. Maybe PMDG's will come with something better for their own products that we could have had using TDFI's.

Secondly, I fully agree with PMDG developing their own because if think that they will nail it (I have faith in PMDG). And though I don't know nothing about software development, I would believe that it is easier to develop a solution that match their own products since they have all the material for that than adapt a third party tool. I could be wrong but integrated solutions usually work fine.

_ Regarding the effect itself, the only thing that the comments are based on is a few second video... Not much to get an opinion! Let's wait for the release of the 748 to see how the new effects render in different weather conditions!

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

1 hour ago, Milton Waddams said:

The “Scandinavian guy” has a name...just saying.

haha - I mean, yeah, technically, but not even the team here uses it :tongue:

I was only recently allowed to use my name because Chris is the FNG now...haha.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

There are times when an update is not going right he has lots of them.   Most of them get deleted from AVSIM.

This time I agree with him.  An improvement that does little to my enjoyment but they have every right to do it as long as they do it without breaking too much else.

Harry Woodrow

PMDG tried something similar to this on the JS41.  It has rain effects on the glass but it caused a massive hit to the performance so they didn't include it on any further development.  My understanding was that the JS41 was supposed to be a test for technology implemented into the 737 NGX.  Because of it's frame rate hit, it was not implemented on future products.  Now that we have P3Dv4 which is 64bit, and newer technology they can include this without much sacrifice in performance.

If it’s anything like the FSL A319, with the rain and bugs, it’ll be amazing, because that jet is pretty much perfect right now. 

I’m hoping TFDi updates trueglass to have better frame rates and bugs. 

2 hours ago, FishermanIvan said:

I’m hoping TFDi updates trueglass to have better frame rates and bugs. 

The less bugs the better 😉

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gregory Caesar said:

Will it be a paid addition?!

Sure you‘ll have to pay for it. It‘s going to be included in the price for the airplane... (as the wings are too)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

Sure you‘ll have to pay for it. It‘s going to be included in the price for the airplane... (as the wings are too)

I meant for existing aircraft, I.e. the 737.