Sign in to follow this  
hugopiugo

Will SSD affect my performance on P3D?

Hi,

I have a gaming laptop, not the best for P3D, but still, it behaves ok. I'm currently using V4 on HDD.

I wonder if installing it on the SSD will affect the performance. For example, I suffer a lot of stutters when touching down, will it be improved? Chaseplane, all the add-ons...

Or only the loading will be shorter?

ALSO, is it worth upgrading from 8GB RAM to 16GB?

• Like 1

The SSD will improve P3D loading time as well as texture loads throughout a flight.  Not a panacea, but performance will improve.  In my opinion, more RAM is better considering how much we stress P3D with all the heavy scenery and aircraft addons, but again, not a panacea.  Your CPU and GPU are the key parts of the equation here.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I agree on the SSD... the 16 GB is not going to buy you much.. it is nice to have, but will not result in better performance, unless you run other programs concurrently with P3D.

Bert

I can get P3D to use around 5.5GB on my machine - assuming another 1GB for Windows and another 1GB for additional programs you're definitely going to be running out of physical RAM and certainly disk cache.

I don't think 8GB is enough for P3Dv4.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

21 minutes ago, Luke said:

I can get P3D to use around 5.5GB on my machine - assuming another 1GB for Windows and another 1GB for additional programs you're definitely going to be running out of physical RAM and certainly disk cache.

I don't think 8GB is enough for P3Dv4.

Cheers!

Not to be picky.. but even that does not add up to 8 GB, and the working set is likely less..

I've been running P3DV4 in 8 GB RAM for months without any ill effects :cool:

Bert

You're right, but it's really close and cuts down on the disk cache size - whether you're swapping or reading more, either way your performance is going to go into the tank.

Bert, your mileage may certainly vary - all I know is that Chrome with 2 tabs open has a half dozen processes that eat up a gig of commit size, AS16 will eat up 400meg.... RAM seems to go away quickly.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I think much depends on the add-ons being used. Certainly 8GB is OK for P3Dv4 plus a few add-ons but (there is always one of those) throw in a few add-ons like ORBX regions, complex airports and aircraft, a little weather, and use high-density textures and you'll blow through 8GB very quickly. I regularly see the VAS for my P3Dv4 installation at more than 6GB and, along with all the "other stuff" running, that wouldn't leave me enough RAM on an 8GB system to watch a good movie and browse the web while enjoying my flight in the PMDG 747 :laugh:.

Doug

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

5 hours ago, W2DR said:

I think much depends on the add-ons being used. Certainly 8GB is OK for P3Dv4 plus a few add-ons but (there is always one of those) throw in a few add-ons like ORBX regions, complex airports and aircraft, a little weather, and use high-density textures and you'll blow through 8GB very quickly. I regularly see the VAS for my P3Dv4 installation at more than 6GB and, along with all the "other stuff" running, that wouldn't leave me enough RAM on an 8GB system to watch a good movie and browse the web while enjoying my flight in the PMDG 747 :laugh:.

Doug

Agree with you there.. :cool:

Bert