Sign in to follow this  
Amnmaddox

Windows 10 --Ugggg

Hello All,

I just completed a new rig with the intentions, in the future to switch to P3Dv4 (not anytime soon). On my old rig, (win7 pro) I had no issues with windows and FS9. FS9 worked flawlessly and with 100s of add-ons, I had a pretty nice setup. Now, with the new rig, some of my MOBO and other drivers had issues with windows 7 (must be MS way of pushing us to 10) so I sprung for win 10. This is not my first rodeo with 10. I tried the update for free in 2017 and had issues but read alot of posts that said the updates could cause issues. This time around, i did a fresh install from MS. And so it began....

So now my issues.

For one, FS9 stutters TERRIBLY, I get a constant micro-stutter no matter my settings. I even get the dreaded stutter/crackle sounds in high demand areas. any thoughts?

My next issue is I cannot get FSInn to work at all. Im running NO antivirus and NO (yes NO) firewall, yet FSInn keeps getting disconnected from FS9. And if, thats if, I can stay connected, ATC cant see me. Any thoughts here?

Amnmaddox,

Mate I do sympathesize.  Most of what you mention (plus other issues) are the reasons I came back to Win 7 Ultimate.  I found  that with my old system hardware, Win 10 was making FS9 unworkable. Win 7 is now working absolutely brilliantly (for now) with FS2004 and I am a happy vegemite. Do not forget to constantly check for updates which are absolutely essential with this ancient software.

Because of the above, I am looking into VR in the very near future and I am contemplating Win10 in conjunction with VR and a most likely necessary Hardware Upgrade. I believe Win 7 will just create problems with any major hardware/software upgrade.

With FS9 and old hardware, upgrading to Win 10, in my opinion, is the fastest way to break a perfect system. I do feel however, that persisting with FS9 and the latest hardware/software is a "mission impossible" I do not think they will ever, again, be compatable.

Sadly, I think you have two options

1. upgrade to Win 10 again (for your new hardware) and move to XPlane11 or P3Dv4. Even FSX, I believe, is having problems with Win10. Others may disagree and I have no argument support because I am not running FSX but there was a flurry of posts to this effect some time ago.  Whether or not the latest round of updates have fixed the problems or not, I am unable to judge.

2. go back to your old hardware if possible,  and continue to enjoy FS2004. 

I would love to get some more input here as, whilst it was working, with FS2004, I really enjoyed Win10.

Just bear in mind, that MS is (desperately) trying to close down Win 7 and along with that FS9 is not likely to suffer any more major upgrades to aircraft, scenery or utilities.  WE may well be flogging the proverbial dead horse.

I wish you luck but when I had my problems with Win 10 there were no real solutions to a growing list of problems.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

32 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Even FSX, I believe, is having problems with Win10

I am still with FSX and now almost 3 years with Windows 10 and it is all more stable than any sim I have used since before FS9.  That stable simulator back then was likely Pro Pilot.  

I migrated to FSX in 2010, at the time of a new system.  Had memory and video card issues.  I built a new Windows 10 system in mid 2015 and stayed with FSX and it has been flawless ever since.  

Conclusion? Its not the sim.  Its not the Windows version.  It is the combination of both, and the hardware and drivers combo.  And we are all different.  Wrong to point the finger at any one.  Its in the mix!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I agree with the "stay with Windows 7 so long as you are running FS9". And also with the "move to Windows 10 when you get a Virtual Reality setup". For me VR is the only thing worth leaving FS9 for. Several hundred added scenery items in FS9; why would I go to FSX (only slightly better than FS9 and lose all that scenery) or P3D or XPlane, both of which have severely limited real airports? I wonder when VR will be good enough to use? Any ideas?

This is worthless reply for you but I really had no issues at all with the migration to win10. My fs9 runs great with it. 

But I cant explain why it works. 

Im sorry dude. 

Just like Meesterlijk, I have no issues with the performance of fs9 on my 2012 low-end Dell tower (laptops are a potential problem) that has been upgraded from Windows 8 to 10.  I'm no techy, but I think that installing fs9 independent of Program Files and Program Files (x86) is the place to begin.  I have a friend who has a high-end custom built rig running Windows 10 and he has no problems with fs9.  He has nVidia and I run low end AMD.  Although its is easy to place blame on the OS when having problems, you will have to look elsewhere for the cause of yours.  If I was in your place, I would reinstall fs9 and the update, placing it under its own file in the directory.  You also will need to find a file that will allow you to start the sim without the #4 disk in the drive.  make sure everything is running as it should in the default setup before adding aftermarket aircraft or scenery.  Pay particular attention to the settings.  With a new ewer rig you should be able to max out almost every setting.  Try both 30 and 60 fps settings.  Good luck.

Frank,

I believe you have really picked out a very small part of my post. I think this is done to emphasize a point and I have not taken offence with it.

I was only relating MY experience and I did state that I had no support for the statement that you picked out, but related it to the many posts on the subject on most sim forums.

I woud be the first to admit that there are many happy campers using win10/FS9 and Win10/FSX. I also mentioned that I was unaware whether or not subsequent Win 10 updates have fixd the problems. I sincerely think it great that they are happy with their choices. 

I still maintain however that FS9 and Win 7 with older hardware is the best combination. (for now) This is and will be a finite combination due to the age of both software products and the ultimate cessation os support for them.

I am not denigrating WIN 10 either. I loved it when it worked and before it created problems for MY installation of FS2004. I thought/think it is a great product and have it installed on my laptop where it is working very well.

I agree totally with your summation, other than the "it is wrong to point the finger" part as that is not what I was doing. The really strange part is that the mix works for some but not for others.  Please bear in mind too, that I was very happy with Win10/FS2004 for at least 15 months but then problems started and constant re-installs of  FS2004 was not fixing the problems. this was in conjunction with many posts of similar problems in this and other forums. The logical conclusion at the time was that Win 10 updates was the cause and this was not a conclusion that was reached by me alone.

So I switched successfully and will remain with this combination until I go to VR at which time I will abandon finally my beloved and ancient FS2004, if I am happy with VR in comparison to using my 6 monitors. I just know that if and when I do switch permanently, it wont be using Win 7 and existing hardware.

Finally, the "BOLD" section is an unintentional mistake that I do not know how to unbold. It is definately not a statement. 

Regards 

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Like it or loathe it window 10 will be the only show in town in a few years unless you go to mac. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Well, My FS9 laptop (6 years old, Windows 10) died, & I pulled out the hard drive & stuck it into a carry case.

I recently got myself an Acer i5 Windows 10 laptop (4GB Ram) & copied my 3x versions of FS9 fron the now portable hard drive, being my 'normal' FS9, my 'Golden Wings' version & a version only with Ford Tri-Motor scenery & planes.

The normal version ran perfectly, the other 2 I run in compatibility mode, as administrator. All 3 are in C:\

Never a problem, & everything runs very smoothly, more so than on my previous laptop when it was still Windows 7 then Windows 8.1, prior to my Windows 10 update on it.

Regards,

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

8 hours ago, rjfry said:

Like it or loathe it window 10 will be the only show in town in a few years unless you go to mac. 

or linux... xplane will work on that and then you can happily ditch M$ windows :biggrin: That is my future plan.

Did you try installing the DirectX redistributeable package?

If not its worth a try. Do a google search for the file directx_Jun2010_redist.exe.

When you run it, it unpacks itself to a folder of your choice. From this folder you must execute DXSETUP.exe.

Henning

Well i am still on windows xp. My video card is giving me problems once in a while but it is ok. I dread the thought of updating which will happen one day.But as it was posted here and elsewhere,FS9 can work on windows 10, depending on the hardware.

nebojsa

Fs9 works, CFS2 works. 

There is no problem to get the sims working.

Just install them into C:\ & not the default directory in Program Files, run in Compatibility Mode & as Administrator.

It is quicker to do than to explain :-)

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I also recently switched to Win10 and was worried that there would be issues, but so far I haven't had any.

Only difference is antialiasing need to set differently from what I was used to in Win7 and nVidia Inspector. Now I have to activate antialiasing within FS9,

and use "Enhance the Application Setting" in Inspector. I use 16xS + 8x Supersampling (GTX970). Looks great and FPS are at least as good as on Win7.

Can't get re-shade working though, which is a pity, because that looked really nice.